Popping "P"s on The Ballad of Frankie Lee and Judas Priest ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff Thread Starter

I burned a copy of Bob Dylan 's John Wesley Harding and Nashville Skyline onto a CDR (both form the latest SACD hybrids) to play in the car. I noticed on The Ballad of Frankie Lee and Judas Priest that whenever Dylan sings the word "Priest" the "P"s pop. Same thing when I stick the CDR in the computer here at work. I don't have the actual CD here with me, so I am not sure if the popping occurs on the redbook layer of the actual CD (and I haven't listed to the SACD layer yet).

Could there have been an error when I burned the CD? (I used Exact Audio COpy ( EAC ) with Maxell CDs from Ritek)
    If it is not on the actual CD< what could have caused this?

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

That's just Bob's mouth a little too close to the mic during recording; nothing wrong on your end.

:ed:

3. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

It's been some time since I listened to it but your comment does ring a bell. It might well be, as far as I'm concerned. I'll have to giveit a listen.

4. stereoptic

thanks, Ed. On a similar note, I'm glad that I read the booklet for The Bootleg Series Vol. 1-3 before I listened to the Blood on the Tracks out-takes. Otherwise, it would have taken me a long time to identify that clicking noise as Dylan's cuff buttons hitting the guitar while he was strumming!

5. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

An engineer had to manually edit out all those popping 'P's' on the original lp master. It involved many, many edits if I correctly remember the ICE watchdog report that came out shortly after the release of the SACD last year. What we have now is what was recorded without all the mucking about.

6. stereoptic

:cool: thanks for the info

7. GregY

GregY New Member

When I got a copy of this on CD-R from someone, I informed him that the copy he sent was a bad rip because of the clicking. Luckily, I found out quickly what was really going on.

Now, does someone want to explain exactly what's going on in The Ballad of Frankie Lee and Judas Priest? :) Is the house a bordello? Why does Frankie Lee go nuts? This song and Isis both drive me crazy!

8. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Regardless of any editing, you can hear the popping on the original lp, too. I always got a kick out of it.

9. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Yes, it's a bordello--"with four and twenty windows and a woman's face in everyone...for sixteen nights and days he raved..."

As for "Isis", it's so over-the-top, I never bothered to even try to figure out what he was talking about!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.