The Worst Sounding CD ever!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by trumpetplayer, Apr 3, 2004.

1. trumpetplayer

trumpetplayer Senior Member Thread Starter

the 1999 remaster of Aqualung. I ordered one from BMG. Its been discussed here before but i didn't believe it would be that bad. It sounds like the master tape had been washed and then no noised to death. I still can't believe that they released something that sounds that horrible. Maybe one day i'll find a "reasonable" DCC version.

JosepZ likes this.
  2. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Ive got a better one.

Around 1986, GNP Creshendo released a Cd of Petula Clarks Greatest Hits. Obviously, something went terribly wrong. The Cd sounds like a cassette that had been under water for 10 years, then coated with dirt. The worst, scratched, abused Lp would have sounded better!!

3. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

I'm a huge Rush fan,but certainly will not subject myself to listening to "Vapor Trails" ever again.This cd makes my ears bleed.Gary.

4. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

There was a Huey "Piano" Smith CD out on ACE Records (Miss., not the UK reissue label) ages ago where it sounds like a ping-pong effect was used to create a kind of reprocessed stereo effect. Anyone remember that one?

5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Oh, you guys have it easy.

Listen (if you dare) to the compression of the new Klaatu's remasters of "3:47 EST" and "Hope". Horrid! :eek:

c-eling and Cast Iron Shore like this.
  6. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

Iggy & the Stooges - Raw Power remaster is a candidate for worst sounding CD, IMO.

7. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

That was probably intended. I do agree that it's an ear-bleeder, but it's a lot worse when it's done out of carelessness or just plain stupidity. Iggy must have wanted [/B] the CD to sound like this, on the other hand.

22 ziggies likes this.
  8. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

I don't think intention mitigates bad mastering, indeed, isn't it almost WORSE if someone does it intentionally?

That said, I'll choose the Ziggy 30th anniv. edition disc 1. What a crock.

Also, the AC/DC remasters on Epic are baddddd, IMO.

9. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

McCartney's Wingspan is pretty wretched I'll say. Just get a vinyl copy if you need this one. Still no-noise there in places but the CD is atrocious.

Cast Iron Shore likes this.
  10. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

None of the above come anywhere near The Fontana 60's Album. I've long since slung it, so I cannot remember who mastered it.

11. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

THe amazing thing is is that it STILL sounds better than the original CD edition. THAT was the worst sounding CD ever (1st Abraxas is close). Worst sounding CD that was a GOOD approximation of the master tape: Tony Williams Lifetime-Emergency!

12. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Rush - Vapor Trails

13. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I think the West German target CD of Led Zeppelin "IV" sounds awful.

14. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Agreed. I'll never forget the day that mine came through the post. I was down with food poisoning, in a darkened room and feeling very delicate. I had to play the thing barely louder than a whisper, and it sounded gross. Not much better at more appropriate levels either !!! :)

15. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

Again, not that anybody knows/cares about the album, but The Collectors 2000 release "Supersonic Sunrise" is probably the worst sounding thing I own. Take any regular CD, amplify it by 900%, then normalize it back down to 98%. EVERYTHING is distorted. It's absolutely ridiculous. AND it's a great album!

16. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

Nope, I think the last Fleetwood Mac CD wins this contest.

17. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Worst?

Heck, how about "Intensified! Original Ska" volumes one and two on MANGO or "SKA Bonanza" on Heartbeat?

Take a bad sounding off center 45, dub it to tape with filtering so intense that it sounds worse than a portable AM Radio, THEN combine the channels to mono so the entire song "swishes".

Awful.

18. trumpetplayer

you've got to be kidding, the original tull is worse?

19. trumpetplayer

good choice, the only way i can listen to that cd is through my computer at work with headphones on low volume. on my home system it hurts too much.

20. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

Any of the first batch of 20 titles that CBS/Sony put out in late 1983 when the CD first appeared as a fromat......It took them an additional 10-15 years to realize what they had done....

21. beatlematt

beatlematt Forum Resident

Anyone for Beatles for Sale?

22. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

The first CD pressing of the Stones' "Some Girls" is abysmal. I got about thirty seconds into "Miss You" and had to turn it off because it was so screechy. Digital at its worst.

23. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

The first Power Station CD-it made the cassette sound good. A close second is "Supernatural" by Carlos Santana.

24. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

WAIT!!!

I just thought to myself, "Whats the worst sounding Cd in My Collection"??

The Answer?

"Twist O Rama" on Norton Records.

Norton had no business putting this on Cd given the absolutely abysmal sound quaity of this Lp (the Cd was dubbed from LP)

Yes, out of 700 or so Cds, THIs is the worst one. I cant really imagine ANY Cd sounding worse than this. I'm surprised the Pressing plant accepted it.

Then again, Norton is famous for lousy sounding product. Ever hear those Bobby Fuller Cds on Norton?? YEECCHH

25. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Is the speed off on this as well? I compared the GNP to a cheap 4cd set I have on Pulse and the GNP was slower. Not sure which one was correct.