New Equipment (+Laser Turntable) Reviews

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by enjoythemusic, Apr 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic Senior Member Thread Starter

Enjoy the Music.com™ has now published the April Edition of our Review Magazine. Within the Review Magazine we proudly offer many equipment reviews, an impressive 25 music reviews, and 3 new editorials! In editor Steven R. Rochlin's article titled It's The Music Stupid!, he writes "Whatever it is, for me it is those magical times when i can get lost within the music... Frankly my dear i don't give a damn what the format is because the music transcends it all."

ELP Laser Turntable

Ultimate Soundophile's Diffusers: Better Sound -- Even Better Aesthetics!

The audiodharma CABLE COOKER Pro Version 2.5

The deHavilland Electric Amplifier Company UltraVerve Line Pre-Amplifier

Floating on Cloud 10 With The Gingko Vibration Isolation Platforms

Stereovox HDXV Digital And Video Cable Follow Up

The Naim Of The Game... Naim's CDSII CD Player

Rockin' and Rollin' With The Roksan Caspian Integrated Amplifier and CD Player

Enjoy the Music,

Steven R. Rochlin
    http://www.EnjoyTheMusic.com

2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Thanks

3. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

Just read Bill Gaw's review of the ELP Laser Turntable, which has been on my want list since the Final Technologies days. Very informative.

4. I also read the laser turntable review. Anyone have a spare $11,000 I can borrow? :laugh:

Thanks Stephen.

5. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

In the words of Sckott, what I heard wasn't vinyl.

I don't think this thing is the end-all-be-all vinyl player. Certainly not worth the price tag.

6. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

My two cents (as opposed to $11K): For that kinda dough I do not want to hear noise like "rifle shots" if a disc isn't clean as a whistle. And given recent aggravation over the Pioneer 563A needing a firmware update, well, imagine shipping the thing back to Japan for the occasional problem. Sure someone'll develop a more practical, not to mention more affordable version of this thing!

7. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

It's so-oooo tempting to trade my car in on one of them thar laser turning table thingies! If the price came down some and there was a U.S. service centre, I might get one. It's been on my watch list for years...

8. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I just read that too.
    Even if money were no object it seems like more trouble than it's worth. For me at least. However, it looks like an audio restorer's dream. It seems to be more suited as a means to an end. Perfect for playing back ancient 78s or damaged LPs and de-clicking in the digital domain.

Dan C

9. Paul Chang

Jamie,

Based on what you heard, what's your opinion on this statement by Bill Gaw? Does it sound like something between vinyl and master tape?

"Except for the increased clicks, pops, and occasional other noxious noises, it comes as close to a neutral master tape sound as I have heard from a record."

10. Paul Chang

:agree: My biggest concerns are its being "highly prone to shipping damage" and the lack of local service centers. I also have to keep my conventional turntables for all ELP models only play black vinyl records.

Two positive comments from Bill Gaw stand out for me. First of all, it beats out even his Walker-Kondo rig. Secondly, he listened to significantly more vinyl than normal during the review period of the ELP. The ease of use is definitely a big issue in my house. My wife has been refusing to play records since I upgraded our old Thorens-SME-Audio Technica combo to VPI-Lyra. The ELP certainly has high wife approval rating here. :thumbsup:

11. Paul Chang

Dan,

I take that by "de-clicking in the digital domain" you mean after converting the analog signal from an ELP to the digital domain. ELP's built-in noise blanker is analog. From http://www.elpj.com/about/index.html:

Built-in Analog Noise Blanker
    These circuits help reduce pops and clicks in real time, as you listen. This feature may be easily turned off with the front panel buttons by users that are restoring old recordings. Pops and clicks are then removed with editing software after the transfer to digital.

12. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

That's what I've always thought about this thing, even from way back in the Finial days. I don't think I'd do my everyday listening on it. But it seems perfect for archivers and restorers. I'd love to get my hands on it. :cool:

13. Raxel

Raxel Senior Member

Does ELP Laser Turntable play both side like some LD players, or you need flip the disc? It's really a nice feature if it plays both sides, Then we can turn repeat on. :)

14. Paul Chang

All ELP models play one side and you have to flip the disc. There are several repeat modes for one side.
    http://www.elpj.com/about/operate.html

I don't think you can easily make a laser turntable that plays both sides like a LD player. For it to work, not only the platter has to reverse its rotation and the pick-up travel to the other side, the record itself has to be exposed on the underside, which could be a problem with the much too flabby LPs (especially the regular weight ones). The vibration of the vinyl would drive tracking system crazy. If cost is no object, it is more feasible to build one with a robotic arm that flips the disc for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.