Recent Remasters of Fleetwood Mac s/t and Rumours

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ChristianL, Mar 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChristianL

ChristianL Senior Member Thread Starter

Recent Remasters of Fleetwod Mac s/t and Rumours

I just gave both a quick listen. FM s/t sounds better than the original CD. The bass is heavy, too but less muddy and the voices are clearer.

Rumours...well...the bass is just right for me, but the treble could be less. It sounds better than the dull sounding German CD (1988). The best version of Rumours I've ever heard was the German Warner vinyl-reissue from 1999.

Both CD's were mastered by Bill Inglott and Dan Hersch.

2. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I love the new remasters... the best version what I've ever heard!

3. stever

stever Senior Member

Oh boy, here we go! The shootout begins! Don't forget, "Tusk," as well. These guys must get to pick up new releases on Mondays.

4. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Stuff in Europe comes out on Mondays

5. 13DoW

13DoW A concoction of conjecture and whimsy

How do tracks compare to the Inglot/Hersch double-CD greatest hits package? Presumably they were all mastered in one go.

Regards
    13DoW

6. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

How is the packaging? Is it digipak or jewel case?

7. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

And how does the new Rumours compare to the DVD-A?

8. stever

stever Senior Member

I read that, "Rumours," and, "Tusk," are in slimline jewel cases.

9. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Hopefully we'll see that 'Tusk' DVD-A soon, but does anyone know if an 'FM' DVD-A is even planned at this point?

10. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

The Fleetwood Mac s/t DVD Audio was listed as to be scheduled on some web pages last year but I would not hold my breath (I have learned this waiting for the Neil Young titles).

Barry

11. stever

stever Senior Member

Why can't they SACD these suckers as well? Chicago II, Rumours, Fleetwood Mac s/t, why are they choosing the DVD-A route?

12. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

I saw them at a local store today (Monday!). It's a small used chain in the area. They had Tusk and Rumours (2-cd) at $24 and Fleetwood Mac s/t (1-cd) at $13. They are in standard jewel cases with a with a slipcase like Concert for George has. Was tempted to buy one but I wanted Rumours and it was too pricey...another time or another place I will.

13. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

My store got these in today. RUMOURS and TUSK are in slimline double-disc jewel cases with an outer sleeve, while FLEETWOOD MAC comes in a regular jewel box with an outer sleeve. FLEETWOOD MAC is midline-priced.

14. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

So, Rumours and Tusk are two-disc sets? What did they add?

I'm guessing that the remaster of Rumours does not have the fade up on "Gold Dust Woman." Is this true? My assumption is based on the fact that the DVD-Audio disc doesn't have it.

15. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I just hope they also reissue LIVE, MIRAGE and TANGO IN THE NIGHT. Presumably MIRAGE and TANGO have already been remastered, since tracks from both were included on THE VERY BEST OF.

16. Roscoe

Roscoe Active Member

Haven't heard the new discs yet, but the 2002 Very Best Of Fleetwood Mac had the correct fade-in of Gold Dust Woman, unlike the DVD-A. Hopefully they kept it correct with the new Rumours reissue.

17. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

18. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I'm hoping to grab Fleetwood Mac tommorrow. I wanna get those 45 mixes of Rhiannon, Say You Love Me, Over My Head and Blue Letter all on one CD.

19. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

I had to stop a Circuit City today to pick up the second season of Will & Grace for my wife. I don't know how it happened but "Fleetwood Mac" & "Rumours" found there way up at the check out counter when I was leaving! :p

Anyway, I'm on the second disc of "Rumors" and I'm loving it. The "Roughs & Outtakes" (the name of the second disc) is far better that I thought it would be. I'm not disappointed at all. I haven't heard the "Fleetwood Mac" yet but I'm sure that will sound great as well. :goodie:

BTW, "Fleetwood Mac" was $12.99 and the "Rumours" two CD set was $19.99.
    "Rumours" is the Warner Brothers Trees label, "Fleetwood Mac" is the old Steamboat Reprise label, kind of neat (what is odd, there is a Disc 1 written on the label, but it's only one disc). :confused: The only complaint I have is on the two disc set, it's real hard to get to the second disc, the plastic hinges are real stiff and it scrapes the photo inside of the back picture. :(

20. stever

stever Senior Member

Hey Joe, Fleetwood Mac s/t is just one disc, right? 'Cause you say above you're on the second disc of, "Fleetwood Mac."

21. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

My first impression is that the remasters of "Fleetwood Mac" and Rumours" are a little harsh in the midrange at louder volumes, but the detail is markedly improved. I found the same problem with the Ted Jensen remaster of Jim Croce's "Photographs and Memories" that I picked up last week. Almost like a boost at 1.5 - 2kHz. The originals are a little warmer and mellower, but with less resolution - looks like I'll have to keep both versions again...

22. Joe Koz

Oops! Ya got me stever! :p Second disc on Rumours!!!

But I still don't know why it says "Disc 1" on "Fleedwood Mac," when there is only one disc! :confused:

23. Joe Koz

You know, when I was typing my first post on this thread, I wasn't listening to "Rumours" at a very high level. I though of kicking up the volume a bit before I posted but I didn't. :sigh:

24. SonicZone

SonicZone Senior Member

He's right! Mine's the same.

25. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

Don't worry, I have them, and the fade up is intact. Outstanding package. The discs mirror the lp labels. Booklets and album art reproduced faithfully. Great liners. Lots of pictures, album cover outtakes. The sound is typical Rhino and Bill Inglot. A bit hot, and a bit of extra high end on Rumours. Overall, a well deserved sonic upgrade to classic Fleetwood Mac albums!

Brian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.