SH Spotlight Public Service Announcement: SH FORUM Glossary Submissions Wanted

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Doug Hess Jr., Mar 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member Thread Starter

Public Service Announcement: SH FORUM Glossary Submission Wanted

All,
    I have been granted by the Gorts a key to the hot tub and the Glossary files... As I begin to wade into both, I would like to renew the request for submissions to the glossary. Preferably if you have a term that you know the meaning of and use on here, but may seem unclear to new folks as well as some regulars-- please submit them. If you have a term you don't understand and would like included for you and everyone else, submit those too and I'll do my best to track down a clear answer to include.

I know this is something talked about last July (yes it has been that long), but with all of the other background work that it takes to run and maintain this site (Thank you Jeff and the Gort staff and of course Steve H.) there hasn't been time to take this on.

Remember, the e-mail place is: [email protected]

Thank You.
    Doug Hess, Jr.

2. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

3. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Don't forget 'gooshey'...

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

How about "digital horror"?

I use it to describe a very digital sounding CD that is trying to imitate music. Always a remaster...

Of course, I'm the only one to use it.... :sigh:

Nevermind!

5. tone ded freb

tone ded freb Senior Member

Or its companion murk. How about limit splatter? I have no idea what that sounds like. Is the Ritchie Valens SACD limit splatter or what happens when you don't limit? I don't know.

I think what would be really cool is a forum cd-r that had several examples/clips of all these things. Then we could more or less all know we were speaking the same language. If I had that sort of audio example to build my vocabulary upon, I think I could more meaningfully share my impressions.

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Ear Candy = DCC = Steve Hoffman !!! :)
    Ear Bleeders = Long list of poorly mastered albums on cd starting with ( fill in the blank space) !!! :shake:

7. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

Don't forget to include descriptive words like bright (which I've always assumed to mean having too much treble or high end).

Certainly be sure to include technical terms such as master, stamper, lacquer, etc.... The vinyl terms still stump me.

Sean

8. Solar

Solar New Member

quick or fast speaker

i see no gas pedal on my speakers

9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

RTR+TT+Tubes !!!

For the SH Forum Glossary

RTR = Reel to Reel tape recorders. Ampex,Revox,etc
    TT = Turntables/Record Players/Sme/Cartridge etc..
    Tubes = List of favorites Tubes/Valves/Röhren

10. mal content

mal content Guest

Don't forget the essential Ebay term, STUNNING!

11. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

I guess everybody knows what a "Tool" is.

12. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

That's a great idea but I think there is a Really Big Problem. You'd have to license these things. No CDRs of other people's copyrighted material. Which leaves you with something like this:

"Dear Mr. X
    I am a member of a website dedicated to well recorded and mastered music. It has come to our attention that your use of no-noise is the worse in the industry, simply sucking the life out of anything you remaster. It sounds like The (insert name of band here) were actually either zombies or some form of undead.

We'd like to use your example of no-noise in a demonstration CD as what to listen for in a badly mastered CD.

We'll be contacting you in a few weeks in anticipation of your wonderful co-operation.

Sincerely,
    Anonomous. "

Yea, OK, that's an extreme example. But you get the idea? :)

Oh well....

13. tone ded freb

Copyright is not my area of practice but I would think that brief samples used for not for profit educational purposes, as these would be, may fall under the fair use provision. Maybe someone who knows more about that area of the law could chime in.

14. tone ded freb

Here's the text of what I understand to be the fair use provision of the copyright act of 1976, 17 USC 107:

"Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include--

(1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

(2) the nature of the copyrighted work;

(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and

(4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work. The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair use if such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors."

My take is that it is definitely possible that such a compilation of short samples used for the purpose of educating forum members certainly could be legal. Again, I ask that someone who knows more about this area of the law chime in.

15. Peter D

Peter D Forum Resident

I love the sound sample idea if it's feasible from a practical and legal standpoint. It would be the forum equivalent of that "sounds of the studio" bit that Todd Rundgren put on Something/Anything.

:D

Actually, given that there are a good number of musicians and engineers on the forum, we could avoid copyright issues altogether if someone here were to record a bit of his own music and then turn it over to some volunteers who could create versions of the recording that had compression, noise reduction, poor EQ, or whatever other horrors that needed to be illustrated.

16. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

That's a great idea. Kind of an audio training class. We could do before and after clips of NR, compression, EQ, digital limiting, stereo widening and other horrors that are done in mastering.

17. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

That really IS a great idea!

Of course, there should be a charge for it to cover the costs and shipping!

Can I sing on the CD? I can drive a deaf grizzly to tears.... :p

18. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Which is scarier: your singing or your avatar?

19. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

Hoffmania – a prevalent, and in its chronic phase, a sometimes financially crippling malady, that affects members of the audiophile community. The condition is characterized by its rapid onset and powerful episodes of heightened awareness, resulting from short-term or prolonged exposure to specialized aural stimuli. Whilst there is no known cure, sufferers often continue to lead relatively normal lives by carefully managing their dosage levels of euphonic euphoria, commonly referred to as “ear candy” maintenance.

20. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Singing..... :eek:

21. Pug

Now...what if your avatar started singing! :eek:

Sean

22. Pug

One of the problems with a sample CD is no 2 member's systems will sound the same. What sounds too bright on one system may sound just right on another.

Sean

23. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Would these examples be just as educational if they were of unfamiliar songs? I have tons of stuff that could be used legally. I was actually thinking of posting some clips of audio run through different gear so people that don't have access to it could hear what they do.

24. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

But they would be good enough to hear things like over compression, NR, limiting, etc...

25. tone ded freb

I guess posting samples could be a lot quicker and easier than a forum cd-r, but it could use a lot of bandwidth. Maybe there could be a forum glossary term of the day or week and examples could be posted for that day/week, if people wanted to download and save the sample they could, and then make their own cd-r.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.