David Sanborn's "Night Music" TV series?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by efhjr, Mar 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. efhjr

efhjr Idler Wheel Enthusiast Thread Starter

I would love to again see episodes of David Sanborn's excellent music variety show "Night Music ." Has anybody ever found it for rent/sale on VHS or DVD?

2. Arthur

Arthur Forum Resident

That was a great show, Gale and I looked forward to watching it every Saturday night after SNL. Unfortunately it dosen't appear to be available in any format right now, nor is it in syndication. Darn shame.

3. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

That was one of the coolest music performance shows ever. I saw The Pixies for the first time on that show and it blew me away! Saw Squeeze on there once too. He'd also have some "out-there" avaunt guard artists on there at times. Great show.

BTW, I recall reading an article about how the show was produced. The audio was recorded on multi-track digital and meticulously mixed after the taping. They went through great lengths to keep it digital up to and including the uplink to affiliates. It was a big deal back then.

Dan C

4. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Probably another case of a show being too expensive to license the music rights for a DVD release. A shame too, I'd love to have NRBQ's appearances on the show on DVD.

5. chrischross

chrischross New Member

Amazing show -- Sonic Youth covering "I Wanna Be Your Dog". Was that Penelope Houston on vocals??

Love to get ahold of DVD's for that show, it was just a beacon of alternativeness in a sea of 80's mediocrity.

Here's a show listing with the artists who appeared:

http://www.broadwayvideo.com/distribution/t_music_night.html

6. efhjr

I believe it was Ann Magnuson, of Bongwater, who did the vocals for that performance. The singer was running around throwing flowers, right?

I could be wrong, of course. Sure wish I could have the shows on DVD to confirm (and watch Mary Margaret O'Hara's stunning performance again, too).

7. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Does anyone remember an episode where they had a guy spinning records on several turntables, creating multi-loops of sound? I used to have it on VHS tape. He created an orchestra of sound composed of unique recorded sound effects, and other musical oddities.

8. efhjr

I believe that was Christian Marclay , which would make that Show 205, with Todd Rundgren, Pat Metheny, Taj Mahal, Nanci Griffiths.

9. stereoptic

Yep, that was the show!

10. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I remember that well! Weren't the records all "modified" with tape and other things? Wonderful weird stuff. :)

Dan C

11. stereoptic

Yes, and he was running back and forth between all of the turntables keeping them in "time". :cool:

12. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I was just telling some friends about Nightmusic last weekend. They couldn't believe that a show like that ever existed. Where else could you see Evan Lurie, Diamanda Galas, Indigo Girls, Daniel Lanois, and Sonic Youth on the SAME SHOW??

This show would be perfect for a cable channel like Trio. You know there would be a lot of VCRs and Tivos running. ;)

13. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

14. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Yeah, their version of "Little Floater" with Phil Woods on alto was memorable!

15. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Hey, any show crazy enough to put Sun Ra's Arkestra on the air made a fan of me! :righton: And I remember David's attempt to talk to Ra, which was a real kick... :D

Broadway Video was the logo at the end of every broadcast, and I think that's Lorne Michael's company, since SNL videos have gone out through them. Rights hassles might be an issue, though probably not insurmountable.

ED :ed:

16. I remeber that Sun Ra episode. I also liked how at the end of each show, they would bring some of the artists together for a "jam". I'm reminded of the broadcast with Pere Ubu performing a blistering version of "Waiting For Mary" w/ Debbie Harry on backing vocals.

Up here, CBC TV ran the program on Friday nights around 11.30pm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.