Led Zeppelin - 2007 Show (DVD/CD), part2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Nov 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Haven't been this excited about a release in a long time...

3. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

4. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

5. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

6. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Same here.

I was also excited about Neil Young's Psychedelic Pill. Neil delivered on that one and met my expectations.

Agent57 likes this.
  7. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Same here. Really psyched for the Blu-Ray. Cannot wait to sit back, crank it up and enjoy the show.

8. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Jimmy Page was on "Later, Live with Jools Holland" promoting the new release. When asked if they might get back together again he replied that it has already been 5 years since the O2 gig, "so it doesn't look very likely, does it?".

9. Graham

Graham Senior Member

The crucial difference being Neil Young is still an ongoing creative force while Celebration Day is a live album of songs that are more than three decades old.

Having said that, I'm quite looking forward to hearing it.

10. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

My pre-ordered Deluxe Edition Box (2CD/BD/DVD) was dispatched 9 hours ago.

11. Stu

Stu Member

I wont be pre-ordering the vinyl or the CDs.
    Jimmy Page can't master his way out of a paper bag.
    All his last offerings have been a crime against music.
    The SQ on this will be pants.
    Saw a clip of the film last night on Jools Hollands later live and that sounded pants through my screen.
    Stu.

12. JPJs Bass Guitar

JPJs Bass Guitar Forum Resident

I have had the deluxe cd/dvd package since last night and have only had a chance to flick through the dvd.

The sound quality is stellar - based upon that fact alone, it is a worthwhile release. No way you can tell that from the 30 sec clip on Jools Holland last night.

13. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

A sentiment often expressed on these boards, but never so succinctly. You'll fit right in.

14. Stu

Stu Member

Some people think The Mothership and TSRS vinyl and CD box sets are stellar SQ.
    Some people think all of there remastered CDs are stellar SQ.
    I just think these people have had to much Stella and would not know a good recording if they heard one.:whistle:
    Each to there own, and i hope i am proved wrong when the vinyl hits the streets next month.
    Stu.

15. evh5150

evh5150 Forum Resident

I don't want a compressed mastering, either, but I have to say that the idea of hearing Zeppelin recorded and mixed to 2012 standards intrigues me greatly.

16. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

From Dave Lewis of "Tight But Loose".

http://www.tightbutloose.co.uk/tblweb09/?p=17789

CELEBRATION DAY PACKAGES PREVIEW – INITIAL THOUGHTS:
    Just received the Celebration Day review packages. Some initial comments: The package is very tastefully done with photos from the gig and four separate written contributions from Jimmy, Robert, John Paul and Jason on their 02 thoughts – Jason’s being very heart on the sleeve and Robert’s quite movingly profound. The DVD itself…the sound is brilliantly mixed…the extras have a Zeppelin media round up from UK TV reports – the rehearsal footage is a one camera shot by Dick Caruthers DV camera from the mixing desk so is a stark contrast to the close proximity of the 02 film. However it’s a fascinating visual document of just how ready they were with four days to go and a captivating behind the scenes remnant that adds yet more insight into the whole 02 experience.

Prepare to be astonished all over again…more thoughts tomorrow when I have had a good wade through…(DL).
    * It does seem the Celebration Day packages will be filtering out before the Nov 19th official release with Australia already noted as being a Friday release…when it comes your way let us know what you think…

17. EwaWoowa

EwaWoowa Sexiest Monkey Ever...

I played this thru a couple of times and really like it,... but Kashmir is the real stand out for me, that really rocks!

Jim in Houston likes this.
  18. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Attended the encore showing of the film at my local mutliplex last night. This time I noticed the hand/arm in one of the front rows waving the placard that had "Carouselambra" written on it. That was kind of funny, as I had sort of hoped myself (the first time I watched the film) that they might throw the crowd a real curveball by playing that song.

19. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

You're expressing opinions on the mastering when all you have to go on is a short clip you've listened to via your television speakers? At least we now know we don't have to take your opinion seriously. :laugh:

20. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Here's the wave form for those interested. The song is GTBT. I saw it on another forum (RO.com). That's all that was posted. I'm sure others will be posting theirs soon enough.

GTBT_FLAC-Audacity_Waveform.jpg

21. Stu

Stu Member

The tv post was tongue in cheek.
    I am going by the SQ of everything JP has mastered or remastered over the years.
    As i said above, I hope i am proved wrong.
    I wont hold out to much hope though.
    Stu.

22. For those who want to compare, here's "Good Times Bad Times" from Barry Diament's mastering (normalized, to match the volume of the DVD):

[​IMG]

23. evh5150

evh5150 Forum Resident

Based on waveform alone, it's hardly the most dynamic production I've ever seen, but it's as good as you could realistically expect in 2012.

24. My thoughts as well. I was expecting something a lot worse.

FangfossFlyer likes this.
  25. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Look at it the other way though: if he really could tell that mastering was bad under those conditions that would have to be some really bad mastering. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.