Beatles Remasters on Vinyl (part5)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Oct 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

2. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

This also crossed my mind, but I was just throwing out ideas. It's at least worth bringing up.

3. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

4. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

More like wishful thinking! :D

Non Beatle/vinyl fans here must think we have a disorder.

5. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

The box, the covers and the book are also heavy, and they will be shipped to US from Italy anyway.

6. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

wow, a part five and I'm wondering why this fellow is on the verge of cancelling...can someone sum up unknowns without having to read 4000 earlier posts?

7. I sent a polite E-mail to Rainbo the other day asking abou the Beatles LP box set. Received no response. I have E-mailed other pressing plants before and received very nice responses.

If anyone else wants to try here's their information.

Rainbo Records
    8960 Eton Ave.
    Canoga Park, CA 91304
    (818) 280-1100 phone
    [email protected]

I will try calling EMI Canada a bit later today to see if they can tell us anything.

8. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

- no goverment statement regarding the sample rate of the digital source;
    - it's not clear if Amazon.ca will sell Europian or US pressings;
    - it's not even clear if the box for the US market will contain US or EU pressings.

9. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Not only heavy but large, even if partially empty they are expensive to ship.

Keeping on with the fun: if you take the trouble to print in Italy, would you not pay a lot of attention to the QC at the pressing plants?

10. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Which government?

I'd accept the outcome of an ONU inquiry, no less.

11. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

They want to see the box set's birth certificate. :laugh:

12. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

This:D

13. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

That pretty much sums it up, doesn't it? :laugh:

14. Bruno Republic

Bruno Republic Forum Resident

Highly likely to be US pressings.

15. EMI Canada's phone number doesn't work. 905-677-5050. Guess they don't take outside phone calls anymore.

16. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

If they're in the middle of what's probably their biggest job in years, you guys seriously think calling them up or Emailing them to pester them for information is a good idea?

They're under no obligation to respond. They're a pressing plant. It's like harrassing your local Coca-Cola bottler to find out exactly which formula of Coke Zero they're using. At a certain point, they have to draw the line as to whether it's worth their time responding or not.

And at a certain point, we're not entitled to further information.

17. DJ WILBUR

I'm still not following what all the hubbub is about at the moment, but I've not pre-ordered it at this point anyway...

is this another "panic" like the mono box? that certain boxes are getting pressed at certain pressing plants? but not all of them?

18. No, we are far past that lunacy.

:laugh:

19. mva5580

mva5580 Well-Known Member

I think it's funny that the same people who are making a big stink about where the records are being pressed are the same people who have a problem with it being digital vs. analog.

If digital vs. analog is that big of a deal....then why does where it's pressed even matter? I would think those people's decision would already be made on buying it when you consider that digital vs. analog is a hell of a lot bigger factor than what plant presses the records.

These people making the "hubbub" that you speak of are the fringe, "hardcore" guys that are going to have a problem with any release, regardless of what decisions are made. If that stuff doesn't make a difference to you, then don't let it start effecting you now. It's not healthy.

20. mono-o-mono

mono-o-mono Forum Resident

What are you citing to substantiate that opinion?

The last major vinyl record releases sold by EMI Canada were the Anthology series and Live at the BBC. Those records were pressed in the EU.

21. Dr. Tone

Dr. Tone Forum Resident

Beatles Lunatics

Hey, Richard! After our last session at APs, I went ahead and pulled the trigger too. Price of the Red Mono's has dropped substantially too! I can't fathom another set, but... I went nuts like this when the HMV CD Box Sets came out in the 80s. I was still in high school and had Randy at RPM Records hold them for me as he could get them in. Ugh!

22. mono-o-mono

mono-o-mono Forum Resident

With all due respect, you're more of a collector than a vinyl guy so you don't really have a dog in this fight. You're going to buy the set either way so why not just leave the vinyl guys alone and let them have their little discussion about mastering and manufacturing?

Where the album is pressed is a pretty major factor for people that are serious about vinyl. If the US release is pressed by Rainbo some people will hold off and seek out alternate pressing. A bad pressing or mastering will trump any digital vs analogue argument. That's just the facts.

23. DJ WILBUR

well Apple put a lot of time into those digital tapes and most vinyl is now mastered from cds anyway, so this is not that at least....

If this shows up at my house its cause Santa dropped it down a chimney, I'd love to have it but I've bought these songs enough times already...

still i was wondering why all the negative vibes whenever i pop into this discussion which is always in another part, amazing how much isn't known yet from what I've gathered, but I hope they do these right for everyone, even the lunatic fringe...:laugh:

24. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I can understand why people are concerned where the records are pressed. Not all are the fringe, "hardcore" guys. You're somewhat off-base with that comment.

Wouldn't you be upset if you plunked down $350 for the box set and it contained LPs that were pressed off center or had scuffs and played with surface noise? It would be a major hassle to return the box to the retailer. To me, if I decide to spend that amount of money, which is a quite a lot, then I want the product to be close to perefct. It's not unreasonable.

Apparently, the US pressing plant that has been identifed in this thread has major quality control issues. I understand that it is a concern to most people who cannot afford to throw $350 away. I guess you have the money to waste. Good for you.

25. DJ WILBUR

you are right about this so I've learned...and yet with all my years here the company "Rainbo" is one i've never even encountered before, so I guess that's not a good sign for the US boxes?...

so i guess they do lots of marginal pressings...??

might have to educate santa...:agree:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.