Frank Zappa - Entire Catalogue Remastered and Reissued (part3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Sep 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

2. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Second! :)

3. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

A 3-parter on Frank Zappa?

Eddie are you kidding?

4. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

I wish the Forum software would auto-subscribe us to subsequent parts.

Part 3, eh? I think this thread needs more "has it shipped" posts! ;)

5. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Postin' so I don't skip over the thread :laugh:

I can't wait to see what the 4 extra releases are at the end of the reissue series:

My best guess so far:

1. Mothermania
    2. 200 Motels
    3. ???
    4. ???

6. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Oh don't worry, they're coming. :laugh:

I just listened to Apostrophe and ONS tonight and think they sound great. I'm really trying to just double-dip on the titles where they went back to the analog masters and there is a noticible upgrade in sq. So far I've picked up:
    AF
    HR
    BWS
    Apostrophe
    OS
    WRMF
    Fillmore <God, I'd forgotten just how stupid this album was - hate it except for WTP>

Probably pick up CR, ZA, OSFA <although I do have the AU20 of this, it seems the jury's still out on this one>.

We'll see about the upcoming batches...

7. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident

I am not kidding.

8. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

9. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

OK, I've given SHEIK another listen on my large Advents and I think I was wrong about the EMI being a better experience. My first impression was on old JBL's and they really overemphasized the bass at the expense of the mids. Also sounds great on my sh***y patio system. SHEIK was my Zappa gateway drug so it has a special place in my heart...love your nails! :righton:

10. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

I am enjoying the 17 titles I have out of the first 24. Some of these are the first time hearing them and owning them. For myself this is much welcomed.

11. Can't be. "Mothermania" is the only Verve compilation that was authorized by Zappa, where he had any input in the preparation.

12. Laservampire

I hope it's some pre-Verve stuff.

Zappa's Pal Studio/Studio Z years would be much better served by an official ZFT release than the slightly dodgy stuff which has been released in the recent Paul Buff downloads/CD set.

13. pantofis

pantofis Senior Member

Seems Sheik is the first album for many Zappa newcomers. Especially in Germany. Probably because of the "hit" Bobby Brown. This is such a shame, because Bobby Brown ends up becoming Zappa's visiting card which is absolutely misleading. What kind of hit was it anyway?

As for the new CD, it is quite a different experience from my old Zappa Records CD (1989). The old one had a nice "airy" quality to it, probably the effect of the added reverb. Now that the old one restores the dry master mix, it sounds...too dry for me :) Also I seem to hear more of the live aspect of the basic tracks. The reverb on the old CD had managed to mask the concert hall ambience.

14. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

200 Motels would be great. I've only owned a very worn used LP copy which has gone missing.

15. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Mothermania has already been confirmed by Gail for October release on Zappa.com. Now, we just need to figure out the other three.

16. Laservampire

Well she said "Something old, something new, something borrowed & something blue" and Mothermania was highlighted in blue. I'm guessing the "borrowed" will be 200 Motels.

17. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

It better be remastered. I can't handle another uncle meat fiasco

18. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

What was wrong with the original 200 Motels CD? I know it sounds pretty muddy, but I thought that was inherent in the original recording. And there was definitely no wonky digital processing to speak of.

My guess is that an re-release of 200 Motels will not be remastered.

19. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Look what they've done with Fillmore East and Weasels. They can make 200 motels sound much better, they are studio recordings.

20. Given the documented technical aberrations behind this recording project (if you haven't already, see the CD booklet), I for one am not expecting any miracle for the future and agree here with bubba-ho-tep.

21. thedudeabidz

thedudeabidz Stepping sharply from the rank and file

Sheik and YCDTOS Vol. 2 were the two Zappa albums that made me a fan, so I had to give the remaster of Sheik a try. I think it's a vast improvement over the cassette or Ryko CD. It's got more depth, imaging and clarity. I can't wait to find the money to buy more of these.

22. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I am waiting for Joe's Garage, Sept. 25th.

23. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

I agree, the whole Flo & Eddie period can disappear as far as I'm concerned.

24. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Agreed. Simply obnoxious and unfunny.

25. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

^ F&E is not my favorite phaze either, but revisit 200 Motels and Playground Psychotics. Those titles are loaded with standout material.

As noted above, 200 Motels was poorly recorded, frought with problems. I haven't had the vinyl in a years, but did put in a lengthy comparison between it and the CD, which wasn't too far removed from its predecessor in general SQ, and was at least free of surface noise.

Frankly, I'd welcome a serious remix if multis were available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.