Frampton band member Bob Mayo dies

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by reechie, Feb 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reechie

reechie Senior Member Thread Starter

http://www.frampton.com

BOB MAYO
    1951 - 2004

We are all heartbroken to learn of the sudden death of Bob Mayo. Our condolences go out to all who knew and loved him. He will be missed.

From all of us in the Frampton Family

PRESS RELEASE 2/23/04
    Basel, Switzerland, February 23, 2004 -- Bob Mayo passed away suddenly of a heart attack on February 23 at 4:00pm in Basel, Switzerland. Mayo, born in New York in 1951, was on tour with Peter Frampton who had just launched a concert tour of Europe.

Bob Mayo's work is known and loved the world over for taste, style and presence as a professional keyboardist, guitarist, vocalist, producer, and songwriter with international acts.

Mayo performed with several bands in the 1960s before meeting Frampton. They toured the U.S. and Canada, recording the shows that resulted in 1976 "Frampton Comes Alive!" Following a brief break from touring, during which time he focused primarily on session work, Mayo later toured with Foreigner, Aerosmith and Robert Plant. In the spring of 1988, Mayo hooked up with old friends Mark Rivera and Tom T-Bone Wolk, performing with Darryl Hall and John Oates. Bob rejoined with Peter Frampton in 1992 for what was meant to be an eight-week tour. This turned into seven months on the road and a renewed personal and professional relationship. "Frampton Comes Alive 2" was released in 1995 with the DVD and CD "Live in Detroit" following in 1999. Most recently Mayo played on Peter Frampton's new CD, "Now." "Bob was like a brother to me," stated Peter Frampton. "We've performed and recorded together since 1975 and I will miss him a great deal. I have lost a close personal friend and a talented, professional and outstanding musician. My heartfelt condolences to his family."

Mayo is survived by fiancee Laurie Pellillo, step-daughter Catherine Jacoby, sons Christopher and Gregory Mayo and sister Mary Jo Mayo. Serviceswill be private. Service details and charitable donation information willbe available soon.

All remaining dates on the Peter Frampton European tour have been cancelled. Contact individual theatre box offices for information.

2. Wow, I had a chat with him a few months back when he and Frampton visited WDHA, a NJ radio station. Nice guy. Even had him autograph, "Bob Mayo on keyboards, Bob Mayo."

3. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

This is spooky. I was just thinking about Frampton (and that I'd listen to the SCAD again tonight) 5 minutes ago, and now I see this.

4. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Was he on the Frampton Comes Alive album?

Sad news; Seems to be becoming more and more common, hearing of a musician's death while on the road.

Evan

5. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

"Was he on the Frampton Comes Alive album?"

Yes, Evan he was on "Frampton Comes Alive". May Bob rest in peace.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

6. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Hey, no need for sarcasm, buddy! I haven't owned that album in many years, much less heard it at all recently.

RIP Bob.

Evan

7. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

"Hey, no need for sarcasm, buddy! I haven't owned that album in many years, much less heard it at all recently."

Evan,

I was not being sarcastic at all; I merely answered your question. I'm sorry if you took my response the wrong way.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

8. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Yeah-Speaking of "spooky" I was just listening to some Spooky Tooth on the way in this morning. Greg Ridley who recently passed away left that group to join Humble Pie where of course Frampton played. Such a sad day. My best to the family of Bob Mayo.
    :(
    Norm

9. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

10. tomcat

tomcat Senior Member

How sad. I had the concert at that very monday evening in my agenda, but couldn't attend. I guess they cancelled this in the first place...

11. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

My! First John Siomos, now another member of his classic band passes away . . . This is very sad indeed.

12. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Wow, that's terrible news. My brother played with Frampton in 1980 (he toured in the horn section). He became very good friends with Bob Mayo. My brother played on some of Bob's mid-80s demos (he may have been shopping for a deal). It was some nice stuff... he was very talented, playing excellent keyboards and guitars.

13. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Very sad news...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.