A Christmas Gift For You From Phil Spector [Expanded/Extra Tracks] - 10/02/2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Get2Me, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was perusing Amazon for upcoming Christmas releases and reissues and came across a listing for an expanded/extra tracks edition of A Christmas Gift For You From Phil Spector. Does anyone have any info about this particular reissue of this classic Christmas album?

The only reason I can see for releasing yet another edition of A Christmas Gift..., a mere three years after the 2009 Bob Ludwig mastered CD and Sundazed LP (also by Bob?), is that, like The Philles Album Collection box set, it will be mastered by Vic Anesini. Oh yeah and the supposed bonus tracks. Any idea what could possibly be included that would enhance this near perfect Holiday album?

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

if it's not STEREO another waste of time for me...but, thanks for posting the heads-up for those inclined...just another money maker for the holidays it seems...

3. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

I'll stay tuned for the extra tracks. Love the album, but the only CD copy I own is from the Back to Mono box.

4. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

And mine is the Rhino pressing from the late 80's, one is enough.

5. Beachbouys

Beachbouys Forum Resident

I read somewhere that the bonus tracks are the backings without the singers.

6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

If that's the case, then I'll probably pass. My current CD suits me just fine.

7. Ricko

Ricko Forum Resident

It's about time Legacy reissued this: hopefully it'll be a big & beefy Vic Anesini job that approximates the original Philles LP rather than what we've had digitally so far.

There are a few track odds & ends from the sessions in the vault but to my knowledge no outtakes were ever cut apart from Darlene Love's non-seasonal "Johnny" vocal over the "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)" backing track.

Sorry...don't need those shortened "stereo" versions with the shrieking vocals everywhere and the Wall Of Sound over on one track and some tinkerbells on the other! :shake:

8. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

The stereo mixes offer a different listen - lopsided, like too much eggnog. :)

9. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have the Back To Mono box version and the 2009 remaster. The famous Wall Of Sound is intact on both, but some fancy EQing seems to have been done to the 2009 edition since the vocals appear drier with less reverb and w-a-y out in front of the mix. Hearing those songs that way takes a little getting used to, but I think the sound on the 2009 remaster is cleaner, overall. Sonically speaking, I'm interested to find out if this 2012 expanded edition falls somewhere between the BTM and 2009 CDs. :agree:

And, no STEREO A Christmas Gift... for me. This album is, and should always be, MONO all the way.

10. So we have new "A Christmas Gift For You From Phil Spector" and Charlie Brown Christmas discs coming out...please please please let them sound great.

11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Amen! That would be a real gift for all of us. :)

12. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Dear Santa, Please let them stop reissuing these albums over and over. Bah humbug. :winkgrin:

13. Beachbouys

Beachbouys Forum Resident

Stereo all the way for me. I have the Mono from the original LP when I bought it at the time in the 60's, another mono LP in the 70's, then the Stereo LP in the 70's & the Stereo LP in the 80's then a couple of mono CD's. Now I want a great sounding stereo CD without to much reverb on the chorus.

14. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

+1 all the way. An Anesini MONO mastering would be most welcome.

15. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Ideally it would be nice to have both the mono and stereo mixes on the new reissue. If I had to choose one over the other, I would pick the mono for the CD. I have a very clean stereo LP and the mono mix is still the better of the two versions, in my opinion.

16. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

Same here. Could be interesting to hear, but I can't see myself playing them more than once or twice. Unless the disc gets rave reviews, I'll stick with my Back to Mono CD.

17. It would be nice to have Vic Anesini remaster this one and have it packaged in a nice mini-LP sleeve (I know it won't happen.) It would be a perfect holiday season for me if A Christmas Gift For You From Phil Spector and the Charlie Brown Christmas discs sound top notch AND someone would release The Snowman and Emmit Otters Jugband Christmas on blu-ray! Dreeeeeam...dream dream dream.

18. Any more info on this one?

19. jricc

jricc Senior Member

That could be cool, kinda like the Beach Boys Stack-o-Tracks.

It would be cooler if the bonus tracks were different Christmas songs that were rejected.

20. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I have enough copies of this album, great an album as it might be.

That said, if they combine the mono and stereo versions, properly mastered, I could be inspired to part with my money yet again. The possibility of vocal-free karaoke tracks inspires me not a wit.

21. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Release it in Stereo, and I might bother getting my first copy of this album.

22. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Yes, a million times yes!!

23. Witney Devil

Witney Devil Well-Known Member

I've been checking all the sites such as Amazon / HMV and despite the fact we are looking at a couple of weeks until release date there is no concrete track listing yet.

I'd really like to see what I'm ordering before placing an order.

24. I heard that it was canceled, Maybe Phil would'n't allow it?

25. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I think that's the one remastering I haven't heard. It was going for big money there for awhile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.