New Warner/Rhino DVD-A release dates

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobo U2, Feb 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobo U2

Bobo U2 Active Member Thread Starter

As usual don't wait outside your store on these dates..

Grandmaster Flash: Grandmaster Flash (Rhino, March 16)
    Sugarhill Gang: The Best of Sugarhill Gang (Rhino, March 16)

Chicago: Chicago X (Rhino, March 23)

Seal: Seal IV (Warner, April 6)

Frank Sinatra: Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim (Warner, April 13)
    Warren Zevon: Excitable Boy (Rhino, April 13)
    The Cars (Rhino, April 13)

Fleetwood Mac: Fleetwood Mac (Rhino, April 27)
    Fleetwood Mac: Tusk (Rhino, April 27)

2. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

"Sugarhill Gang: The Best of Sugarhill Gang (Rhino, March 16)"

I think the latest Ice had this (mistakenly?) as a Silverline release, which would inspire great fear in me.

3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I would love to see the Chicago, Sinatra, Cars, and Fleetwood Mac discs.

4. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

What Keith said. :)

5. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Chicago and Sinatra/Jobim

I would like to see Chicago X and Sinatra/Jobim DVD-Audio.
    I hope that no EQ and noise reduction were added to these two favourite recordings of mine.
    Thanks for the info. I've been waiting for the release of Chicago X DVD-Audio since the beginning of this month after getting a wrong or premature release date information from ICE CD Newsletter magazine. It would be nice to hear Terry Kath's guitar works on some of the songs such as "Skin Tight" and "Scrapbook" and James Pankow's trombone on his own composition "You Are On My Mind" in higher resolution audio.

6. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

And now my uninformed gripe of the day:

TUSK: will the DVD-A have all the bonus tracks from the upcoming redbook remaster?

SINATRA-JOBIM: better have LOTS of extra content. That album's barely 30 minutes long!

CHICAGO X: Ewwww. This before CTA, or III, or VI, or VII???????

Thank you.

7. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Thanks "Bobou2" for the info! It's been so long for any new DVD-Audio releases, I figured that the companies had given up on them. I'd really love to have that Sinatra/Jobim DVD-A, as it is one of my favorite albums of all-time!

By the way "pdenny", the Sinatra/Jobim DVD-A is SUPPOSED to include the entire second (mostly unreleased till recently) Sinatra/Jobim album, so there will be PLENTY of bonus stuff, despite the fact that the "under 30 minutes original album" is some of the best "under 30 minutes", I've ever had the pleasure to spend with!

Chris C

8. reidc

reidc Senior Member

Oh- how I wish some of these would see the light of (SACD) day!!! I would even take nice clean Redbook versions of Tusk(complete) and Rumours.

I gotta admit seeing Chicago X released before VII,VI, or III is weird. Although X seemed to mark a new branch. VII had some ballads, but also had some rockers. VIII also had the same. I think X is mostly ALL ballads isn't it? Its been a while since I listened.

As for Sugarhill Gang- I could get into the long version of Rappers Delight!!!

"Have you ever been over a friends house to eat the food just ain't not good!"

Chris

9. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Chris, there's only three ballads in Chicago X and those three ballads are what I termed "real classy Chicago ballads" because they are far more superior and much different from the generic ballads (except for a few) that they recorded in the 80's and the 90's.

10. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

Wouldn't this make a nice "two-fer" with Sinatra and Company? That album has been has been out of circulation on CD for far too long. I bet you can fit both releases on the same DVD-A.

Gary

11. Bobo U2

Well since I was complaining about Universial(see Steely Dan thread) I'll give Warner/Rhino equal time. Not one date in my OP ever came close...not even one of those DVD-A's have been released. WTH....
    I hope they will not be Dual-discs releases.

12. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

What's wrong with Dual discs?

13. Bobo U2

Well if the DVD-A side is the same it would be without being a dual disc release....nothing.

14. reidc

reidc Senior Member

WOW!!!
    I thought this was a new thread!!!! I didn't even see the date written, but I keyed in on the titles and release dates- and thought OMG a Release date announced NINE months in advance!

Come to think of it- are any of these titles even out YET??? I have seen Chicago II and V, but don't ever recall seeing X, and have never seen Tusk.

Chris

15. 22dRow

22dRow New Member

And The Cars is nowhere in sight either.

16. ptaheldaoud

ptaheldaoud Forum Resident

Not on the above list, but Jackson Browne's Running On Empty DVD-A is available for pre-order on Amazon once again. This time its listed as August 24th.

Also Bonnie Raitt's Nick Of Time is due from Capitol on the same date.

Here's hoping..

Will

17. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Yep, Cross Your Fingers

18. Bobo U2

I made one mistake...Seal IV did come out on that date...
    Great Job Warner...
    The Sugarhill and Grandmaster DVD-A's I believe were released in Europe if any one can confirm that.

19. ptaheldaoud

The Sugarhill and Grandmaster DVD-A's are out in the U.K on Silverline.

Will

20. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Chicago was supposed to come out in January. It disappeared without much of an explanation.

21. Bobo U2

Thanks Will
    I could have sworn that I read on another fourm that Warners has the rights for these titles here in the US, am I mistaken?

22. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I would guess (it's only a guess) that these are all done, sitting in boxes, and waiting for the publishing dudes to come to an agreement with the labels. I read articles in the past about the Sinatra being created and reviewed, and another about FM working on Tusk and S/T.

Quite possibly, they may have all been bulldozed to re-emerge as "DualDiscs". :eek:

23. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I never saw any of these discs...probably a royalty issue as Jon says....

24. ptaheldaoud

That may be the case - they're listed as such on Rhino's site, but they're definitely Silverlines in the U.K. as I've seen them out in the racks. I passed on them as I would have preferred a compilation of Sugarhill's output as a whole from this period, plus the Grandmaster Flash was lacking Adventures On the Wheels Of Steel.

Will

25. dabl

dabl Senior Member

I bummed out on the Grandmaster Flash when I read this crap about it being a (partial at least) 'unwrap job'
    Sugarhill Gang & GM Flash are shipping?
    Interesting note in the interview:

One of the first things Haynes used in creating the surround mix is TC Unwrap. “It’s a great way to automatically generate a quad mix. I can vary the effect, so I’ll do a couple of passes to get different amounts of material in the surrounds. And that gives me more tracks that I can later use when I want to move some sounds to the rear speakers.”

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.