"The Dick Van Dyke Show" coming to Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Benno123, Jul 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident Thread Starter

tvshowsondvd.com is reporting that "The Dick Van Dyke Show" will be released as a full series remastered in HD and released on Blu-ray October 30, 2012, $349.98 SRP. If the price comes down I may have to look into this, especially of added bonus material is included!

http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/17188

2. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Not really interested in this title but hopefully it is successful enough that other older shows get released in the format. I would love Bewitched.

3. Peacekeepr73

Peacekeepr73 Digitally Remastered Member

Cant wait to see this.

4. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Of course after I just brought the full DVD set a few months ago. Anyway, sounds like a great release!

5. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

If I had not already purchased the series this would be the way to go, but I can't see any reason to double dip....

6. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Are these new remasters, or are they struck from the same masters used for the 2005 DVD sets?

7. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Why are these so damn expensive when compared to other TV series of the same vintage? (That comment goes for the DVD sets, also)

8. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

That's a really good question. IIRC, when I got the first season in 2006/7 it was $60. I don't know what it is with Image but they seem to think these prices are right for Dick van Dyke and The Twilight Zone.
    I really don't think I'll get this unless the price falls a lot on amazon, but maybe if they release the seasons separately I'll get them.

9. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I was lucky to get the full DVD box set from Amazon in the mid-70's price range. I think the quality is great. I have the Twilight Zone DVD's. I may upgrade to Blu-ray when the complete series goes down more. Amazon had a gold box special for it in the $170's. I think it will go down to closer to one hundred eventually.

10. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I would love to see this show in 1080p glory with natural film grain. Would contrast very well with Star Trek:The Original Series blu-ray set! I would also like to see Mary Tyler Moore, Cheers, and Seinfeld on blu.

11. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

Was the Dick Van Dyke Show filmed on 35mm stock or 16mm stock?

12. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I would think 35mm. 16mm in my understanding was mostly only used for more low budget shows, stock footage, commercials, and then maybe duplicates or copies for affiliates.

13. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

I can't afford the full box because I'd have to pay 25% import tax, but season sets and I'd probably bite. If there are incentives beyond just being in blu-ray, I'll have to.

Favourite show ever. Watch the DVDs every night before I go to bed.

14. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

I've never seen a b&w show in Blu-Ray form.* I would think it would look extremely good though because it requires much less visual data than color film and even a single-layer disc would offer more than enough space for how ever many bits were needed i.e. minimum data compression.....I think. :)

* my first b&w dvd was an obscure horror film called Carnival Of Souls (I heard it mentioned on MST3K and bought a copy for $8); very black blacks & very sharp/clean image overall

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

35mm Kodak B&W 4-perf stock, I believe 5222 Double X. For a variety of reasons, I don't believe Viacom was willing to use the negatives for the scans -- I believe they were all mastered from 35mm finegrain prints, which are low-speed contact prints taken off the camera negatives. They look absolutely fine, just 1 generation away from the originals.

16. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

I love The Dick Van Dyke show but this is way too expensive for me. If the DVD price goes down, I'll probably pick that up.

17. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Was DVD shot at Desilu? Just wonderin'....

18. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

Would love to have this, price is too damn high for me.

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes, it was shot at one of the Desilu Studios, at what was called "Desilu Cahuenga" (a block or two north of the corner of Cahuenga and Melrose, about a mile east of Paramount Studios). The studio was called Ren-Mar throughout the 1980s and 1990s, and is now owned by the Red Camera Company as "Red Studios."

20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

excellent! as the price will drop for the lowly DVD set!:laugh: looks great by the way! I own the complete set on DVD, but for those who want it cheaply this will be a boom to their DVD buying pocketbooks...

21. "The Dick Van Dyke Show" blu-ray box available at Amazon.com!!

"The Dick Van Dyke Show-Complete Series" blu-ray box set is now available for pre-order at Amazon.com...the price is $244.99, a 30% discount off MSRP...:wave:

22. 1strun

1strun New Member

Don't have a Blu-ray yet.
    One thing I liked about the regular DVD DVD release was that they included production stills from the episodes. I always like seeing the set as the crew saw it, with cables, back sides of flats, hanging lights etc. I wish more titles would do this.

23. Clark Kauffman

Clark Kauffman Forum Resident

The extras for the DVD sets were (are) spectacular. Interviews, commentary, production stills, game show excerpts, etc. MY favorite extras were the sponsor commercials with the cast members. The Kent cigarette commercials were a particular treat, although they're hidden as Easter eggs.

24. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

OUCH. I have the original season sets. How much of an upgrade picture wise can I expect if I order this box?

25. rmos

rmos Forum Resident

Especially the photo of the set and cast in color!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.