Humphrey Bogart - Film by Film Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by FieldingMellish, Jul 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FieldingMellish

FieldingMellish Active Member Thread Starter

Ok, folks, let's begin. Welcome to the 'Humphrey Bogart - Film by Film' thread.

:righton:

We're taking our cue from the majestic 'Hitchcock Film By Film' Thread, so we'll run through the films of Humphrey Bogart, in reverse chronological order. That means starting with....

'The Harder They Fall', 1956, Columbia Pictures

Directed by: Mark Robson
    Writers: Philip Yordan (screen play), based on a novel by maverick Hollywood insider Budd Schulberg.

Stars: Humphrey Bogart, Rod Steiger, Jan Sterling, and Mike Lane

109 minutes, Black & White

IMDB Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049291/

Here's (part of) Wikipedia’s plot summary (mild spoiler):

"Sportswriter Eddie Willis is broke after the newspaper he works for goes under. He is hired by crooked boxing promoter Nick Benko to publicize his new boxer, a huge, but slow-witted and untalented Argentinian named Toro Moreno.

Unbeknownst to Toro and his friend and manager Luís Agrandi, all of his fights are fixed to make the public believe that he is for real. Eddie begins to feel guilty about his work, especially after he comes to like the good-natured giant. The unhappy boxer wants to quit and go home, but Eddie talks him out of it."

I suppose the most important point to make, right at the start, is that it's of some comfort to Bogart fans (not to mention cinema historians or just plain movie fans) that this, Bogart's last film, is a strong one. In fact, I would argue that it could have been, and nearly was, a great film. It's flawed, and has dated somewhat, but still
    stands up to repeated viewings over half a century after its release.

The next point to cover is the comparison that's often (maybe too often) made between the conflict in the film's plot and the one going on in cinema at the time, between generations, and styles, of actors. Indeed, Jonathan Coe - in one of the few decent books on Bogart, 'Take It & Like It' - claims the film is "best seen as a film about acting, not boxing, and about the collision between two different cinematic styles rather than two prizefighters".

If we accept this reading - and, although the point is over-done, there is some truth in it, surely - then for my money the battles may, at the time, have been seen as being won by the new, more 'realist' school of method acting, but the 'war', in the long-run, has - I contend - been well and truly won by the older guys. The method approach (which Bogart referred to as the "scratch your *** and mumble school of acting") seemed set to sweep all before it, and has of course been hugely influential, but which method actors have the cultural clout, or are as beloved, today as the big names of the Golden Age? Discuss.

Rod Steiger is great in this film, but - like the acting school he represented - he soon burns himself out, while Bogart's subtler, easier-paced performance gradually wins the race.

Ironically, one of this film's weaknesses lies in the fact that its opening sequence is so striking, powerful, and intensely enjoyable, with Bogart's world-weary ex-sportswriter squaring up to Rod Steiger's histrionic gangster, Bogart's laconic demeanour and wry humour stealing every scene. The rest of the film cannot quite live up to that promise, and its ending leaves quite a lot to be desired too.

Overall, this is an excellent final performance from Bogart, who - I make no attempts to hide this - I regard as not just one of the most interesting and uniquely characterful of all classic Hollywood actors, but as without question the greatest movie star of all time. It's a great tragedy that Bogart's early death robbed the world of who knows how many terrific performances; it's at least a little relief that this last film was (at its best) worthy of him.

What else?

Jan Sterling (known for 'Ace in the Hole' and 'High and Mighty'), as Bogart's long-suffering wife, does a great job of walking a fine line in a difficult and not too exciting role.

Steiger was seldom (if ever) better than he was here, and never really fulfilled his early promise, I don't think.

Mike Lane is effective, if occassionally dull, as gentle giant Torro 'The Bull' Morino; I don't know much about his subsequent career, I think he did a lot of TV.

Real-life boxer Jersey Joe Walcott is wonderful as George the trainer.

Nehemiah Persoff, as the reptilian book-keeper Leo, deserves a mention. He's had a long career and is still with us, I think.

Along with 'Body and Soul, this films was, naturally, a key text for Scorsese et al, when making 'Raging Bull'.

This is, apparently, veteran boxing champ George Foreman's favourite boxing movie. It's not hard to see why.

Star ratings are arbitrary and ultimately meaningless, but nevertheless, I think it may be useful here to try grading the films as we go, generally and in terms of Bogart's performance, so...

'The Harder They Fall' - Suggested 5-Star Movie Rating: 3.5

'The Harder They Fall' - Suggested 5-Star Bogart Performance Rating: 4

2. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Bogart aside, I didn't care for this at all until abiout two thirds of the way through, when it really took off. I thought the initial fighting scenes were weak and undermined the rest of the drama, then, as I say, the brutality of what was happening became more graphic and the film took off.

Film - 2 1/2 to 3
    Bogart - 4

3. FieldingMellish

Bump.

Any interest in this thread?

4. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

I like Bogart, but I'm not familiar with your first film example. He's great in some earlier films like Three on a Match.

5. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

A rather drab film for my money and Bogie looks tired and old. Given the arc of his career/life, this is not one for which I choose to remember him. You could pare down his films to those helmed by John Huston, Raoul Walsh and Nicholas Ray and get pretty close to his best, IMO. Obviously, Curtiz would also make the cut for "Casablanca."

Bogart made a lot of pretty ordinary films, especially when they were grinding out the Warners stuff in the thirties. He's always worth watching, of course. Love him.

6. Jim N.

Jim N. Just another day in what was once Paradise...

Rod Steiger was much better in other films IMHO. In "The Pawnbroker" he was superb. He was great in "In The Heat of the Night" and "On The Waterfront". His career kind of went downhill after "The Illustrated Man". He just peaked early.

I enjoy the film but to me Bogart seems a bit worn out. Not one of his absolute best performances but even less than stellar Bogart is good ;).

PS- Just noticed the OP used the term "seldom (if ever) better" regarding Steiger. So I have to agree with "seldom" ;-).

7. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Is this "Thread by Thread" going through his career backwards?

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I loved him in the Roaring Twenties with James Cagney...

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

his last film...he went out with a bang...great movie.

10. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

As the co-starter of the Hitchcock thread, I'll chime in here and run to the OPs defense by way of explanation. We started the Hitchcock thread from the last film and worked backwards for one simple reason: Many more people had seen "Family Plot" than had seen "Always Tell Your Wife" or "The Pleasure Garden." The thinking was: We'll work backward until the whole thing withers on the vine, rather than starting with a withered vine, looking for signs of life.

I think it's a good way to go for this thread, too. Granted, the last film of Mr. Bogart was a bit of a pooper, but it provides a definite, well-defined, pretty-well-known commodity, as opposed to starting with, say, "The Dancing Town" from 1930. I've never seen "The Harder They Fall," but once we hit the Bogey films I know and love, I'll definitely be jumping in with my usual big pile of steaming pith, I assure you!

Carry on, my friend!

Matt

11. FieldingMellish

He certainly does look old. He was very ill.

But I would not call this a 'drab' film at all. It's patchy, and it does occasionally sag, but I reckon it holds up pretty well today. And, crucially, Bogart gives a great performance.

Don't forget Howard Hawks, Raoul Walsh, Lloyd Bacon....

Nicholas Ray made one of the best Bogart movies - in fact, one of teh best movies, full stop - with 'In A Lonely Place'. But then again, he also made 'Knock on Any Door' which is a bit of a stinker.

12. FieldingMellish

Yes, who wants to start with all those early bit parts? Reverse chronological order makes perfect sense.

Great. The more people who do chip in, the better, obviously.

Meanwhile, for anyone who hasn't seen 'The Harder They Fall', I recommend you do see it.

13. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Not a bad film at all!

14. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

This thread is making me want to pull out my DVD, and rewatch The Harder They Fall.
    I may have been distracted the first time by it simply being widescreen, and such a nice transfer. That and seeing Bogie in the exterior shots, with all those great 50s cars...loved it ! But in retrospect, I think I need to rewatch, and focus on the plot. :agree:

BTW, I have the majority of Bogie's catalog, either on DVD, or taped off of TCM.

15. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Can't wait till we get to "Sahara" & "Beat The Devil"

16. FieldingMellish

Yes indeed, there aren't too many widescreen Bogart films, and it's a treat to see one.

This is as good a time as any to mention the fact that the film was, deservedly, Oscar Nominated for 'Best Cinematography, Black-and-White'. It lost to 'Somebody up There Likes Me'. The cinematographer was the great Burnett Guffey, also known for 'In A Lonely Place'.

According to IMDB, the film was also nominated for the Palme D'Or at Cannes. I did not know that.

Yes, good exterior shots. A theme we'll return to...

17. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

Maybe during the film by film thread we can mention the "best" versions that are commercially available of each film? When we get to Casablanca, I would love to know if the new 70th anniversary is really worth purchasing. I am sure certain films are not available on blu ray yet either. Thanks for starting the thread!!!

18. FieldingMellish

Absolutely.

I got used to watching this film, like most Bogarts, on VHS tape. There's really only one DVD version of this film, and it's pretty reasonable, if nothing special. There is no Blu-Ray yet.

19. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

Me too. Most of the Bogie films I have are on VHS as well. :)

20. FieldingMellish

Ok, folks, let's close out this entry with some words from Bogart's co-star, Rod Steiger, spoken (I believe) in a 1990 interview, quoted in Sperber & Lax's definitive Bogart biography:

"Steiger's most lasting impression of Bogart was 'his independence and his professionalism and his kindness to me' [always making sure Steiger got his fair share of close ups, etc.] Bogart always stood alongside the camera and made sure I had my close-up to match his close-ups in teh scene. He used to say to me, 'Son of a bitch, you're going to kill me. You're going to kill me.' I said, 'Bo, you got to get better parts. Yuo want to switch? I got the better one.'"

Steiger called Bogart "a gentleman, an artistic soldier", and he was right.

Although it has its faults, this film has many attractions, not least the chance to compare the two approaches to acting personified by Bogart and Steiger. As is often the case with Bogart's filmography, when the film is at fault, it's never Bogart that lets it down; it's always the other way round.

Next up will be 'The Desperate Hours', a much more tricky proposition...

alexpop likes this.
  21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

AFI

Has him listed as the number one favourite actor,.
    Gary Grant is number two in their top hundred male movie stars.

All his post 40's films are essential (with the exception)

22. FieldingMellish

[​IMG]

Ok, next up in our reverse-chronological canter through the career of Humphrey Bogart, is...

'The Desperate Hours', 1955, Paramount Pictures

Directed by William Wyler, written by Joseph Hayes, from his own novel.

Stars Humphrey Bogart, Fredric March, Arthur Kennedy, Martha Scott, Dewey Martin

112 minutes, Black & White

IMDB Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047985/

Another late-period widescreen Bogart film. In 'VistaVision', no less.

Here's (part of) Wikipedia’s plot summary (mild spoiler):

"Bogart portrays Glenn Griffin, the leader of a trio of escaped convicts who invade the Daniel Hilliard family's suburban home in Indianapolis and hold four members of a family hostage. There they await the arrival of Griffin's girlfriend, who is bringing the three fugitives funds to aid them in their escape."

This is one of the many films that Bogart wanted to make himself, having bid for the rights to the novel but, as ever, finding himself financially out-gunned by the big studios. The story that went around was that he and Spencer Tracy - great friends in real life who hardly ever worked together - wanted to co-star, but that despite the depth of their friendship could not agree on who got top billing, so the part went to Frederic March instead. More recent biogs dispute this story. Either way, surely Tracy would have been more effective than March?

Interesting sidebar (gleaned from wikipedia): when the people the story was based on sued 'Life' magazine, for alleged inaccuracies in that magazine's report of the episode, the family's lawyer was none other than a Mr. Richard Milhous Nixon, later to find fame as a criminally insane President of the United States.

AllMovie.com calls this film "a great, hard-boiled crime film", and awards it 3.5 stars.

http://www.allmovie.com/movie/the-desperate-hours-v13407/review

I'm not so sure. This has never been among my favourite Bogart films. He is great of course, and convincingly inhabits the role of aging gangster, throwing up echoes of early roles, particularly The Petrified Forest. But the rest of the cast are a bit lacklustre, as I recall.

Interesting take from AllMovie: "In a way, you could look at the film as the last remnants of the noir era duking it out with the next generation of straight family men and their families who will rule the country in the late '50s. There's also the conflict of these poor, unmannered, violent crooks who resent Fredric March and his straight job and suit and tie." Seems especially poignant given the (tangential) involvement of Richard Nixon.

I'm going to watch this again, for the first time in years, tomorrow, to give it a fair hearing. Until then I'll reserve judgement - and look to others for their opinions...

23. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

One of the first Bogart films I can remember and I love it,

Film - 5
    Bogart - 5

24. I need to watch this one.

25. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Watching The Desperate Hours now...:thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.