Ridley Scott's Prometheus (2012) - Alien prequel ... (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MilesSmiles, Jul 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Thanks, that was good thread. Behave yourself guys!

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's possible. Scott has announced they're working on a Prometheus sequel, so one hopes they'll spell out what the Engineers were trying to do, why all the Engineers died on the planet, why they wanted to kill Earth people, why he was so angry when they woke him him, and why they look exactly like us (only bigger and physically perfect).

Maybe he wanted to kill us because none of us had perfect abs.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

5. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

^Thanks. Good links that resume many of the problems with the script.

Picking up one point, it seems obvious that the android slipped goo into the archeologist's drink under the orders of the old man (I'm too lazy to search for their names). The android's "mission" was to do everything it took to discover "why" and to find the secret of immortality. This is why at the end of the movie, he helps the heroine because he is still following his own mission program. He needed the girl in order to continue with the quest.

6. MilesSmiles

7. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

Androids are actually programmed to help humans. David simply executed Weyland's agenda without any discussion because he was his master. Now that Liz Shaw is the only surviving member of the crew, he has to obey her.

The quest for immortality totally ruined the movie. It was a theme introduced at the eleventh hour that had no foreshadowing (by conversation or thematic similarities to something else that exists in the plot) and Weyland's insanity wasn't even discussed. Besides, when you have guys who can spend years or decades in stasis, why wouldn't Weyland stay in stasis until medicine improves? Oh, sure, it's much safer to spend a trillion dollars (aka $17.9B in 2012 money, thanks to the inflation) to reach a far distant system with a crew of hippie scientists on the base of a hunch.

8. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

G'day,

It was kinda hard to avoid that implication:

Weyland to David: [mumble mumble]
    David to Weyland: Yes sir.
    Ice Queen to David: What did he say?
    David to Ice Queen: He said 'try harder'.

David to Bro Scientist: What would you do to find the answers you seek?
    Bro Scientist: Anything!
    [David slips some goo into Bro Scientist's drink]
    David to Bro Scientist: Bottom's up!

--Geoff

9. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

:righton:

10. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

11. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

In space, no one can hear you order McDonalds.

heathen likes this.
  12. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

Another movie would be cool. I wonder if the engineers were disappointed in humans, or if maybe the "aliens" they have holed up didn't turn out the way they expected, and humans are just getting the lumped in for whatever reason. Might be interesting to know what the dna of the "aliens" match.

13. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I was wondering if that last surviving Engineer went rogue and he took out his fellow Engineers and when he was woken up, lashed out at whoever was there once again.
    He was pretty intent on squashing everyone and getting back to Earth, we presume.

14. DPM

DPM Senior Member

15. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

But the movie is still theaters, so it just might make it. ;)

16. Yeah, but those arguments are always red herrings. Gas used to be $.25 a gallon, too.

Besides, it's on track to break that figure, whether adjusted for inflation or not.

17. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

The US moviegoing public has increased in number since Alien was released. US population was 225 million in 1979. Now its 313 million. I take all comparisons of box office, record sales, etc with a grain of salt.

18. MilesSmiles

Shows you so how strong the franchise is, a follow up seems a no brainer.

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

But it also cost about 12 times what the first one cost, so it's not a fair comparison. Alien didn't have to make $300 million just to break even (2-1/2 times the negative cost).

And ticket prices are much, much higher today than they were in 1979. You're comparing apples to pistachios.

20. Pistachios or not, my point is that the way Hollywood execs look at the figures, they have a film that has outgrossed any other film in the franchise, and it's an undisputed success already--just a few weeks after release and it still has legs. Even with the hard marketing push, I'd bet Fox didn't anticipate this level of success.

21. Yep. My only regret is that a Prometheus sequel will further derail a sequel to the adventures of Ripley and company. I'm one of the few who truly enjoyed Alien: Resurrection, especially in its extended guise, and wanted to see Siguorney and Winona duke it out with the Alien(s) on Earth.

22. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

If Scott uses Lindelhof for the sequel, it seems quite certain he will not answer all the questions people are asking here, if anything, he will leave you with even more questions. He has stated in an NPR interview that he would rather write scripts that leave you with more questions or for you to determine your own answers.

23. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Yes, I enjoy that. Here's hoping.

24. Right. How many questions did 2001 pose? How many did it answer?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.