Billy Joel - The Stranger Mobile Fidelity - Anyone have it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RatFarm, Jun 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RatFarm

RatFarm Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am wondering how the Mobile Fidelity version of Billy Joel's The Stranger stacks up to other releases. Anybody have it yet?

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I just received my copy yesterday but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. Hopefully tonight or tomorrow.

3. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

I wrote this in a similar thread:

4. evad

evad Well-Known Member

Thanks tonew. I also agree on the LP comment for the other MFSL SACD releases of Joel. I do not have The Stranger yet, but if it's anything like the others, I will be happy.

5. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

Spinning this now......

6. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

Listening session interrupted, will try again soon.

7. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Just got it and it is great. No compression, limiting, no noise or anything else I can detect. The best version I have heard.

Drexler_McStyles likes this.
  8. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Bumping thread to elicit more reviews (please)

9. Rated-R-Ron

Rated-R-Ron Forum Resident

When is the general release date for this title? (Can't find it on Amazon...)

10. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Stranger,52nd Street and the new 10 Years After audio fidelity are all on importcds.com.
    Stranger comes out on 17th and 52nd Street on 31st.
    Both at $21 and some change.

11. FlatCat

FlatCat The Old Wig

I just got this today.

I compared it to a Japan for US CSR disc with 35DP-2 81A9 matrix that has been my go to disc for a while.

My first impression is that the MoFi has a wider soundstage and a more open sound, but it sounds a little more aggressive. I noticed that the piano attack is a little sharper on the MoFi than the CBS. The CBS seems a little smoother.

The MoFi definitely has more bass, which is welcome for this album, as the CBS does sound a little anemic in the bass comparatively. The drums are more forward on the MoFi as well.

Overall I like the tonality of the MoFi better, but I wish it were slightly less aggressive in terms of its attack. I do tend to like the smoother sounding discs and usually find them more crankable.

I only got to audition the discs for about an hour so I will listen again tomorrow and post my impressions after another session :)

12. FlatCat

FlatCat The Old Wig

My comparison was the MoFi redbook audio layer to the CBS CD btw.

I will listen to the SACD layer tomorrow.

13. Tgreg

Tgreg Forum Resident

Thanks for the info; I remember when these titles came out in the last 70s when I was in jr. high and have been big fans of each since. Really looking foraward to these as they are by far my faves of his...I imagine Turnstiles would sound good as well.

14. wdp33

wdp33 Forum Resident

15. stever

stever Senior Member

16. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Rumor has it Glass Houses will be released tomorrow.

17. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Anyone play the MFSL vinyl???

18. UncleHalsey

UncleHalsey Forum Resident

My vinyl preorder is still on backorder at Acoustic Sounds...

19. KeithH

So the SACD came out before the LP? It seems that never happens.

20. MikePh

MikePh Forum Resident/Song and Dance Man

My Copies of The Stranger and 52nd Street arrived earlier in the week and I had a chance to sit and listen today. Much less harsh than I remember the original Sony single-layer SACD's of each of these from 20 years back. For old war horses that I've heard hundreds of times, they come to life. Competes well with my beautiful Japanese vinyl of these titles, especially on "Rosalinda's Eyes."

21. KeithH

20 years? I know it feels like the dawn of SACD was so long ago given the lack of major-label support, but it hasn't been that long. ;)

It's been awhile since I listened to those Billy Joel Sony SACDs, but I don't remember them being harsh. I remember The Stranger sounding pretty good.

SKean likes this.
  22. MikePh

MikePh Forum Resident/Song and Dance Man

You're right, but it is about 15 years since the format was first introduced, no?

Agreed, I liked those Billy Joel orig SACD releases too, but these new o ea do seem to have a bit less of an edge to them, although less harsh might not be the right word either. Either way, I'm also very pleased with all of the first 4 Billy Joel SACDs so far.

23. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I have all the older Sony Billy Joel SACD's and they are far from harsh. They actually sound pretty damn good.

Jarleboy and Jeffczar like this.
  24. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

The Sony's are excellent IMO and very far from harsh to these ears, actually they are some of the better sounding SACD's I own. I would love to hear the MFSL's for comparison but would never buy blind, being that the originals are very good. As far as age; Sony introduced SACD in 1999 and I think these were sold in 2000, but I could be wrong. So it's probably 12-13 years but you're getting closer.;) Gary

Joey_Corleone likes this.
  25. KeithH

I believe I bought the original stereo-only SACDs of The Stranger and 52nd Street in 2001, but they were probably issued in 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.