"Another Side Of Bob Dylan" question. Is this fake stereo or mono on my stereo LP?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I haven't played my copy of this album for 25 years or so. I had forgotten that this "360 Stereo" LP is actually mono run through a stereo echo chamber or something, or is it? This LP is cut very strangely.

What gives? The earlier "Freewheelin'" is wide stereo but this album ain't?

What is the story? Was it just mixed in mono and that's it or something?

Anyone know why it's not in true wide stereo?

My "first press" stereo has a stereo matrix number..

LitHum05 likes this.
  2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Can't be true....

3. Sckott

Mine is stereo. I pulled out my UK reissue. Betcha a tape copy that shouldn't got copied. That's Columbia....`

And something sounds out of phase too....?

4. Sckott

It's LCR. (Left, Center, Right) so far as philosophy.

"Blowin' in the Wind" is guitar left, voc center, harp right.

Dylan is without reverb. Not to be confused with verb. :)

5. Steve Hoffman

Sckott,

I think we're talking about two different albums.

ANOTHER SIDE:

Listen to "It Ain't Me, Babe".

What is the stereo separation on that song?

6. Sckott

My apologies. I read too fast. (Who would'a thunk)

All I have is the Sundazed LP of Another Side, and that won't help. :( Someone else should chime in.

7. Steve Hoffman

OK, at least I'm not losing my mind! :)

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I don't think it's simply mono with reverb; it seems like there might be some slight phase oddities with the two tracks. I haven't attempted any sort of close analysis, though. Nevertheless, yeah...it's always been like that.

9. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

im suprised they didnt proudly display: ELECTRONICALLY RE-CHANNELED TO SIMULATE STEREO, lol

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Well, since that wasn't what it was...

11. mikee

mikee Forum Resident

I bought this album back in the day, (when it was a current title). I noticed it was in mono right away. I was miffed since I had paid the standard extra dollar for the "stereo" version. It was an outrageous fraud really - the mono album re-labeled (and priced for) stereo. So I've long wondered about this and am glad you brought this up.
    Right! as was his first album, "Bob Dylan" - (in both excellent stereo and sound IMO)
    I'd like to know also. According to the Wikipedia article on this record it was recorded in one night, June 9, 1964 at Columbia Studio A N.Y.C. with Tom Wilson. Jack Elliot was there and sang harmonies on the original but unused-until-later-re-recorded version of Mr. Tambourine Man. If someone from Columbia can explain, I won't even seek the dollar back that they ripped me off for.

12. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

As noted, the album was recorded in one long session, supposedly because they were trying to finish the album in time for a Columbia sales convention deadline. Maybe they decided to just do one mix because of those time constraints. I just listened to the CD layer of the SACD/CD version of the album and that's mono too. If there was a stereo mix in existence, I suspect they would have used it for this CD release, although I'm surprised they didn't take the multitracks and create a stereo mix.

13. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Which begs me to ask, why is MOFI issuing the "stereo" mix as a 45 rpm 2lp? Wouldn't the best fidelity come from using the mono master?

14. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I much prefer the mono mix of Another Side to the stereo, but I could never pinpoint why. I have to listen more closely to the stereo with headphones to see what's going on there.
    What about The Times They Are A-Changin'"? Like Another Side, it doesn't have the extreme left/right separation of the first 2 albums. I'll have to give it a closer listen to it also.

15. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

According to this Roger Ford article, Michael Brauer did a stereo remix of this album in 2003 because the original stereo mix tapes were no longer usable. I haven't heard this version but perhaps it would shed some light.

16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

As above, I'm pretty sure it isn't simply the mono mix, but rather a separate mix that has almost no separation.

I can check later, but my recollection is it is very similar - little separation with perhaps a hint of reverb.

17. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Whats with the questions on this title? I remember you asked about a copy of WHERE DID EVERYONE GO by Nat Cole a few years back, and really good things resulted. Is Dylan in the Hoffman cooker????????? (Please???)

Matt

hodgo likes this.
  18. rewind1964

rewind1964 Forum Resident

For years, I was under the assumption that the album was fake stereo, but upon recently transferring both the stereo and mono mixes to my hard drive, I decided to widen a couple of songs on the stereo mix. Can't recall now which songs they were, but low and behold, there was some seperation. Vocal was in the center, the guitar went to the right. Mind you, it's slight. There are a number of drop outs on the stereo master (as there were on the stereo mix of "Freewheelin" and "Time They-are-a Changin'").

Whenever Lukpac gets a chance to check it out and reports back on it, I'd take his opinion as law.
    :righton:

19. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Shades of the stereo mix of Mr. Tambourine Man...

20. rewind1964

rewind1964 Forum Resident

Exactly

21. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Doesn't the stereo "Mr. Tambourine Man" have noticeably less reverb on the vocal than the mono?

22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Not sure, I'd have to check. I mentioned it though because it is also really close to mono (and also basically very narrow twin-track).

Of course, that one is really strange since the rest of the album was wide stereo and the 8-track could have been utilized to make a great stereo mix.

23. prof. stoned

prof. stoned Forum Member

That song (and also the song Turn, turn, turn) were mono on the stereo albums. Or so it was stated on the 80's rarities comp "Never Again" which presented a first-time-in-stereo remix of the former track (and not a very good one).

24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Nope. The original stereo LP of Mr. Tambourine Man has the title track in true stereo, albeit extremely narrow.

The Never Before remix was from a 3-track reduction (made to sound somewhat "modern"), while the later remix (first issued on the box set sampler; but not the box) was from the original 8-track, in the style of a '60s mix.

25. Steve Hoffman

Loose Lips Sink Ships!

hodgo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.