Famous Columbia Engineer Frank Laico Appreciation Thread - (UPDATE: RIP April 19, 2013)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Oct 28, 2009.

1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

I was fortunate enough to meet and chat with Frank Laico last night. If that name doesn't ring a bell, start sifting through your CBS-label-family recordings from the early 50s through early 80s, including Miles Davis, Thelonius Monk, many of the Goddard Lieberson projects, etc. He and the late Fred Plaut "were" the Columbia sound, IMO, for many, many years, and Frank even did a fair amount of "farmed out" work, i.e., the uncredited engineering job on Arlo Guthrie's ALICE'S RESTAURANT on Reprise.

I thought maybe we could share some of our favorite Laico moments. Here's one to kick things off: click here.

Here's my post from the Sinatra forum regarding my "brush with Laico:"

More than any other Sinatra recording, 1981's SHE SHOT ME DOWN on Reprise is the one that I associate with the great engineer Frank Laico, who worked for about 30 years at Columbia's famed 30th Street Studio, a 100x100x100 room in a large Armenian church in NYC, with high ceilings, reverberant sound, and a downstairs room that was adapted to serve as a reverb chamber should additional reverb be needed for vocalists or soloists. (In other words, typically the reverb on the "band" would be actual room reverb, while reverb on the voice would be "dialed in" from downstairs.)

Tonight I was at an AES (Audio Engineering Society) meeting that I knew was going to feature a panel-format discussion/interview with Frank Laico, and I arrived quite early and sat in the second row, 3 seats in from the outer aisle. I was there just a few minutes when this well-dressed older gentleman comes and sits on the aisle seat and starts talking to me....and it's Frank Laico! What a genuinely nice guy he was! And we got to talk about SHE SHOT ME DOWN!

I asked him about the reverb on that album. The conversation went something like this:

Matt: So I have to ask you about one of my absolute favorite Sinatra albums, "She Shot Me Down."

Frank: Oh, great album, maybe the best album he ever did.

Matt: I know, and so few people seem to know about that album.

Frank: That's because the record company did almost nothing to promote it. It just sat there and nobody bought it, which is a real shame, because it was great. You know what Frank said to me once? He said, "Frank, you know what my favorite of my own records is?" I said, "No, Frank, what?" Frank [Sinatra] said, "She Shot Me Down," and I said, "Aw, you're just saying that because I'm standing in the room with you," and Sinatra said, "No, seriously, I think that's my favorite album out of all of them," and I think he meant it, and he should have because it's a real piece of art, that album.

Matt: A lot of people talk about the really thick amount of reverb on that album, and some people like it and some don't. I've always thought that it conveys a sense of loneliness or desolation on some of the tracks, but I've always wondered how intentional that all was, if it was planned out with the producer or if it just sort of turned out that way.

Frank: Oh, no, it was very much planned out that way, very much intentional. That was a choice I made because of the type of music and what the songs were about.

Then the emcee came by and asked Mr. Laico to come get wired up with his headset microphone and our little chat had to end. I did get to chat with him again briefly after the show, but not about Sinatra. All I can say is: What a FIRST CLASS GENTLEMAN he is. Mr. Laico is now in his 90s, and doing pretty well, although he (of all people) recently had two ear surgeries because during a routine procedure to remove ear wax buildup a doctors assistant punctured Fred's left ear drum. He seems to be hearing pretty well now with the help of a stereophonic hearing aid that actually links the sound from one ear to the other, which allows him to still get a natural sense of directional sound. I had never heard of such a system, but I'm glad it's available and glad he has one, despite the circumstances.

Here's a photo from Tuesday night.

Matt

FrankLaico.jpg

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I am amazed the man is still alive and "with it". Good for him. A great engineer!

3. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

That's a great story, Matt. Thanks for sharing. :righton:

I'll give "She Shot Me Down" another listen tonight.

4. Attached Files:

mikefromlongisla likes this.
  5. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

6. MLutthans

I've always loved that bottom photo, with the beer on the patch bay and the sandwich on the mixer.

7. Attached Files:

8. MLutthans

Yes, and he spoke at some length about Tony Bennett, and at least half of the samples that we listened to were Bennett recordings. One sort of funny Bennett thing: On the "In Person" album, Frank Laico arrived at the venue in Philadelphia and there was literally nowhere to put the gear, and he was stuck sitting in a cramped stairwell and things went so poorly that they recreated the album at 30th Street. The funny part is the cover shot. The Shure mic was for the PA system; the Neumann/Telefunken was for the recording; what the heck was that lavalier mic for?? Frank did not know.

Attached Files:

9. http://www.cloudsandclocks.net/interviews/Simons_interview.html

and some more cool info:

http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_tony_bennetts_left/

10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

She Shot Me Down is one of the best engineered vocal albums I ever heard. No one else I know of captured that midrange so very well. I own a Promo 45 of "Good Thing Going", my favorite track off of that LP. Superb sounding record and only cost me $.25 in a past find.

11. GMDuss

GMDuss I Get A Custom One?

MY HERO. Love his work, and yeah, he is a gentleman and very 'with it' indeed. The level of detail he remembers is astonishing. Love the guy.

GD

12. DMortensen

DMortensen Forum Resident

Greetings,

First, an introduction. I found this resource a couple of weeks ago, and have been consistently amazed at the high level of discussion and depth of participation by knowledgeable people in many topics that are interesting to me. The breadth of audience is pretty amazing, too.

It's also nice to see the lengthy discussions of issues here, so I don't feel the need to apologize in advance for the length of this post. There is a lot to say, and both Frank and 30th St. have been intensively discussed on many threads in these forums; that's why I'm hopeful that my first post here won't be criticized too much for its length.

I am currently Chair of the Pacific Northwest Section of The Audio Engineering Society, and have been on the Committee for 21 years (!). Starting about 3 1/2 years ago I have been friends with Frank Laico, who moved near Seattle about 6 years ago or more and started attending our AES meetings about 4 years ago.

Feeling that he was not getting enough attention for his outlandishly impressive career, I and Bob Smith (another AES Committee member who was the one who brought Frank to our meetings) put together two meetings where we looked at Frank's life and career and listened to some of his work. We repeated the first meeting three times in various places, and did the second one once. A discussion of that second meeting was done by Matt Lutthans, and can be seen here:

[MOD: Threads now merged.]

Those are my legs and shoes and computer in the picture next to Frank.

He is now 93 years old, and the last year has been pretty rough for him. He had a stroke in February 2011 which left his mind mostly intact, but took away much of the functioning of his left arm and leg. This has resulted in an arduous but apparently typical journey through various rehabilitation and care scenarios that have meant a kind of roller coaster ride for him emotionally and residentially.

I am happy to report that he is now on a relative plateau physically, emotionally, and residentially, to the point where we (his wife Colette, his caregivers, my AES Committee, and I) feel that we can do another meeting with him, and the date will be June 19, in Shoreline, WA (just across the City Limits North of Seattle).

To minimize the intrusion into his life, we will be in a meeting room of his care facility so he can easily leave if required, and easily come back if possible. For the last month or so I've been meeting with him twice a week to prepare for this June meeting, and while he has up days and down days, he is doing pretty good. He is definitely looking forward to being with us.

You should also know that last year we nominated him for the Honorary Member Award in the AES, which is an international award from an international organization, and after deliberation at the top, they awarded it to him.

This may not sound like a big deal, and I thought when filling out the nominating form that it was going to be a free membership or something, and "why is there all this paperwork for a free membership", but it is actually a hugely important honor.

Previous winners include (among many, many others) Harvey Fletcher (Fletcher-Munson curves) , Harry F. Olson (line array inventor among many other things), Edward Wente (inventor of condenser microphone), Leo Beranek (acoustician and author), Hendrik Bode (Bode plots are widely used in amplifier and other electronic design), Les Paul (needs no description here), Leopold Stokowski (same), Leonard Bernstein (same), Walt Disney (same), Sherman Fairchild (well known to old timers like me), and etc. etc. etc.

The last Honorary Member in 2010 was Sir George Martin, who you may have heard of, so this is a pretty big deal and we are very proud that Frank's accomplishments have finally been suitably recognized. (With this in mind it's important to remember that for most of his career the engineer received no album credit.)

Additionally, David Simons, author of "Studio Stories", is a friend of Frank's and in large part rediscovered him in the course of writing the book. Dave has agreed to be present electronically and be the color commentator, as well as doing a presentation about live reverb chambers and discussing specifically the ones at 30th St. and 799 7th Avenue, their similarities and differences.

We will show pictures of all of the above, and movie excerpts showing 30th St. in action. I found these wonderful forums in the course of researching for the visual part of our presentation.

Further, we've decided to make this a Webinar, where people can log into a website (with Java enabled on their computers!!!) and see and hear what we in the room are seeing and hearing, for free. Note that remote viewers will only see what's on the presenting computer screen (i.e., pictures, movies, charts, etc.) and hear the PA feed. We will not have an active camera.

Because of the limited capacity of the Webinar service, I've attached a poll here to determine the level of interest so that we'll know if capacity is likely to meet demand. Please fill it out if you are wanting to attend, either in person or remotely. Frank has many friends in recording centers, and we are intending to publicize this there, too. Because of the logistic$ of the Webinar $ervice, it is uncertain if we will be able to do this again. No revenues are being generated; it is strictly an educational enterprise.

When we get a meeting announcement on our PNW AES webpage, I will update this original post if that is doable. If not, I'll post in the thread.

Thanks for your attention and interest, and to Steve for creating this wonderful resource.

Best wishes,
    Dan

PS Here's a few pictures of Frank at 799, in 30th St., and at a show I did a couple years ago, along with Herbie Hancock.

Attached Files:

13. MLutthans

Dan, it's great to see you posting here, and for anybody who is a fan of "classic pop" and jazz recordings of the 1950s through early '80s, please plan on taking part in this event. Dan will do a great job moderating, and this is a chance to ask questions of a truly legendary engineer who was THERE with Miles and Frank and Tony and so many others. Since the event is taking place about 10 minutes from my office, I guarantee I'll be there, and for the out-of-towners, there's the webinar opportunity, so please....chime in!

Matt Lutthans

14. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Great information and wonderful photos!

15. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Fantastic - I'll be there (via the web) unless the world comes to an end :)

My favourite Frank Laico engineered album has to be Tony Bennett - "Who Can I Turn To", which he engineered at 30th St. along with Ted Brosman. Incredible sound!

16. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Barring some unforseen circumstance, I will most definitely log on to the webinar. After John Kraus and Palladino from Capitol (+Roy DuNann), Frank Laico and Fred Plaut are my favorite recording engineers. I love and respect his work. I'm sorry to hear he's had some health issues, but happy to hear he's pushing himself through them as best he can. Please thank him for all his great work for me (especially for the Sinatra, Tony Bennett, and Miles Davis material). His engineering on most of Sinatra's SHE SHOT ME DOWN is a masterwork.

17. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I love Mr. Laico and his legacy of sound. God bless him for being interested enough to do this after all of his issues.

But...count me in that column of voters who think the reverb on "She Shot Me Down" is over-the-top. It is one of the reasons it is one of my least-listened-to Mr. S LP's.

18. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Paul, are you listening to SHE SHOT ME DOWN off the actual LP? Just curious, as I couldn't get into the sound as mastered on the tracks from the 20CD Reprise set (though the remaster issued on Universal is better), but I love it on my U.S. LPs.

19. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Yes, first the orginal pressing and then I thought a mid 80's Japanese would sound better...not to my ears. It's just me, I guess.

20. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Thanks Paul.

21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

22. DMortensen

She Shot Me Down

I'm glad this came up.

I just bought this recording recently, and the only reasonably priced CD I could find on Amazon was sold from England.

It came surprisingly quickly, and I've listened to it once so far. To my ear, the orchestra on most (maybe all?) songs sounds like it's in the other room, or only the wet return from the reverb with no dry signal, or via leakage into the vocal mic. Sinatra's voice, on the other hand, sounds front and center with a strong but not overpowering reverb.

This CD is a Universal/Frank Sinatra (signature) Red Hat logo, "Digitally Remastered @ (copywrite symbol) 1981 and @2010 Frank Sinatra Enterprises..." etc. Doesn't appear to be a bootleg or anything, and like I say, the voice sounds fine (with "fine" being an understatement. I haven't played it for FL (Laico) yet, and doubt that I'll be able to.

One listening hardly makes for a solid opinion, true but I've been doing other things...

One thing I do know is that in 2008 I bought a copy of "Sinatra Nothing But The Best" Reprise R2 438652, released 2008 @ Frank Sinatra Enterprises, to have the "New York New York" track (at least parts of which were originally recorded by FL), remastered by Bernie Grundman, and the orchestra sounded very squashed and the voice was very up front. One of my friends had a Sinatra Starbucks Hear Music Opus Collection "Fly Me To The Moon" with NY NY from the original masters, and it was not squashed at all and the sound was much more open. A look at the waveforms confirmed that the reissue was right up to the limits below distortion, while the earlier version was softer in the quiet parts while approaching full scale in the louder.

So perhaps this was an artistic decision by the Estate, as is the dramatic tonal darkening (if what I'm hearing is darker than the original) in She Shot Me Down. As is noted elsewhere in these forums, FL said the amount of reverb in the original was intentional.

A great vocal performance regardless, IMHO, on all versions.

23. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Re: She Shot Me Down

Be aware that there were two different pressings of this CD with totally different masterings but identical packaging. These can be differentiated by the length of track 2, "Hey Look, No Crying" and/or by the etchings on the inner ring.

There is a [thread=153560]very long thread[/thread] about the Sinatra Universal discs where this was discussed; see in the vicinity of post #664: [post=5531669]She Shot Me Down[/post].

If the length of track 2 is over 5 minutes, it's the first pressing, which is a recycling of the versions in the 1995 Complete Reprise Studio Recordings 20-CD set, aka the "suitcase." If track 2 is 3 minutes, it's the "better" replacement remaster which Martin referred to. (This second pressing is also [post=5790285]HDCD-encoded[/post].)

24. DMortensen

This is interesting information. My track 2 is 3:03.

Interestingly, nowhere on this CD's three song listings (4 page "booklet", back cover, CD label) is there any playing time information. I guess that's not important anymore? :winkgrin:

For future reference:

Track 1 3:56
    2 3:03
    3 4:28
    4 3:47
    5 3:30
    6 4:41
    7 3:48
    8 4:08
    9 5:51

Thanks for the info.
    Dan

25. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

You have the "new" (revised) pressing.

I believe this was 20-bit remastered by Keith Blake and produced by Gregg Geller circa 1998, but it was never issued at the time. (This comes from information contained in the Universal Japan SHM-CD reissue of two years ago. See post: [post=5681691]Japanese mini-LP release of "She Shot Me Down"[/post])