MFSL Aqualung

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Abbagold, Apr 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero Thread Starter

I just picked it up today for $5. Listening to it now. To me, side 2 sounds a lot better than 1. Is it just me or does anyone else have the same conclusion? Regardless, for $5, I'm not complaining.

2. Dr Benway

Dr Benway Member

Do you have the 40th Anniversary Edition Remix? It pretty much makes every other version of Aqualung redundant.

3. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero Thread Starter

nah...I'm cheap and somewhat lucky.

4. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Vinyl?

5. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

It's on vinyl. I call this "the abomination".

1. Not from the UK master tape (which hadn't been used after the original UK vinyl release and until DCC used it for their versions of Aqualung).

If memory serves, it has one riff introduction to Aqualung (heard on the original US Reprise versions), instead of the two riffs heard on the UK versions.

2. Both bass and treble were boosted hugely (a super smiley face).

Aqualung wasn't a great recording to begin with, but the MoFi did the recording no favours. It needed a remix and when it finally got one, justice was done to the album.

6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Which is why 5 bucks for this didn't surprise me. :laugh:

7. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

I think it's a real nice alternative.

8. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

You can put it on Ebay and somebody will shell out $$$ for it since it's MFSL.
    I sold mine for $60 ten years ago.

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

great find! I love this album...it kicks azz! play Locomotive Breath LOUD!!! you will never ever get over the bass...POWERFUL!!! THUNDEROUS!!!! regardless if it's pushed or not (the 40th remix pretty much changed the fine makeup of this song)...it's the way a heavy album should sound...HEAVY!!!! we're not talking folk music here...enjoy every minute of it as the negative comments are personal opinions...of which we all have and I'm loaning you mine...CRANK IT!

10. Michael

I love this as well, but the remix lost some of the greatness in instrument placement.

vinyl diehard likes this.
  11. Michael

there never was an official MFSL "Aqualung" CD only vinyl, although they did master it for CD...the mastering was used on the first CD issue with the missing seconds on Wind Up...there was a huge thread on this CD.:D

12. Michael

Indeed!:thumbsup:

13. Michael

Hi John!
    In your opinion of course.;)

14. John Buchanan

Michael, of course!!! My world is really shades of grey, my friend. There is no black and white in music collecting/loving. Hope Spring is treating you well in the Northern Hemisphere :righton:

15. Ramos Pinto

Ramos Pinto New Member

John, you said enough about the eq to keep me from ever seeking out a copy.

16. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

So you don't like the remix? As much as I like a few early Chrysalis CDs and the DCC gold CD, the remix gave the album new life in my opinion.

17. Michael

thanks John! Summer beach fun is just around the corner...I do have a wide range of the joys of sound...:thumbsup:

18. KeithH

The first U.S. Chrysalis CD was mastered by MFSL? How do you know this? There is no mastering credit. Is it the same mastering as the MFSL LP?

19. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I'd have to agree. I held off getting the remix for a very long time, but was surprised and pleased when I finally bought one from a member here.

20. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Only the opening and closing lines of this statement can be opinion. The rest is fact.

Not from the UK master tape ? Fact.
    One riff introduction ? Fact.
    Bass & treble boost ? Fact.

21. Michael

Keith, seriously? of course I love the REMIX, but I do not favor the remix of Locomotive Breath...not that it's bad I just like the original better...the whole album is a remix wonder...love it! Steven did a great job regardless...it is heavenly!:righton:

22. Michael

Keith we covered most of this in the old thread I stated last year? The thread was about the "Aqualung" CD with the missing seconds on Wind Up...remember? someone posted that MFSL mastered a few Tull CDs...I did a comparison with the MFSL LP and the CD I'm referring to and they were nearly identical, but the MFSL LP kicked a little more...they may have tamed it a bit when they mastered the CD?

23. John Buchanan

The other things that makes me prefer the remix to the remaster:
    1. The micro tape drop-outs throughout especially the title track (listen carefully to the cymbals). Same as Led Zeppelin 4, also recorded at the same studio at the same time.
    2. The drums and bass are finally present without magnifying the other problems in the original mix (the MoFi exaggerates the cymbal drop outs).

24. KeithH

O.K. Got it.

Of course I remember that thread, but I don't recall a discussion of MFSL possibly mastering the original Chrysalis CD there. I only focused on the different Chrysalis versions, not the sources.

25. Michael

IIRC, it was?...maybe I'm wrong where I read it?
    I'm pretty sure the source may have been an interview in ICE? If the forum member is reading this thread please post the source...thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.