The hare who lost his spectacles (Jethro Tull)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by onlyconnect, Apr 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion Thread Starter

The low point of Passion Play IMO, an embarrassing take-off of Winnie-the-Pooh crossed with Peter and the Wolf.

Anything I am missing?

Tim

2. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

3. Gentle Giant

Gentle Giant Active Member

I always refer to it as The Hare Who Lost His Testicles, because it has no balls.

4. Robobrewer

Robobrewer Forum Resident

I love the CD but always skip that track.

5. jacksondownunda

jacksondownunda Forum Resident

Somehow, this seemed to evolve from some of the Animalia suite/tracks that appear in the abandoned Passion Play session (Chateau d'Isaster tapes) found on Nightcap. Ian occasioanlly had running gags with animals onstage (like the zebra that pooped croquet balls), and the TAAB non-rabbit/Do-Not-See-Me-Rabbit. He was clearly obsessed with animals at the time.
    In the abandoned PP sessions there's the tiger, owl, and that whole sequence of ant/bird/cat/dog/kangaroo/elephant consuming, then barfing it all back up again in reverse. It doesn't really gel and sound quite juvenile in the abandonned takes, but there are little snippets of the 'Hare Who Lost His Spectacles' melody in there, and Ian clearly wanted to persist with the theme somehow. In the abandoned animal songs Ian compares the tiger and some animal attributes to humans (and v.v.), and this theme continued well into War Child with the Sea Lion song and of course the whole theme poured out again in Bungle In The Jungle. However, there appears to be a parallel and bit more serious spiritual evolution theme towards the end of Passion Play with the mention of 'the animals at the ferry crossing waiting to be born'. Whew.

Noetheless, the "Hare" interlude didn't seem important on the album (though Ian may have found it essential), but it was a fun and sanity-tweaking film break (especially squeezing the rose) during the dazzling PP concerts, along with those opening and finishing ballerina film sequences. Maybe it was the only thing about PP that was really visual, and PP album is pretty much note-for-note what you heard live, so enjoy the souvenir. lol

6. bogdan101

bogdan101 Forum Resident

Yes.

7. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Nope. A filler. Or an intermission let's call it.:)

8. The video is quite funny...and the forrest dance intro and outro are sublime.

9. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Incidentally, some of the "Hare" music was included in the "Maternity Ward" part of live versions of Thick As A Brick. Incidentally, some of the music was by John Evan rather than Ian, and I think Jeffrey Hammond was also involved in writing the words.

10. jasn

jasn Forum Resident

As it approaches on the album I think I'm going to skip it...but don't. By the end I'm imitating the narrator. Perhaps that makes me "far superior in intelligence?" [sniff].

11. It worked very well (funnier), as a film within the presentation of the show, and I also loved the forest dance it is sandwiched between. On the original record, it fits awkwardly with the side flipping.

And I like the little rock Tull bit near the end: "The lost spectacles were his own affair"... Jeffrey sings this bit with good authority! Kind of redeems the classical parody aspect some fans, including me, have grown somewhat tired of over the years.

12. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I agree. PP doesn't do much for me as an album, but I've always liked this bit (and the lps that preceded it)

13. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Yes, you are. You're missing the humor.

APP is my most favorite Tull album, but it is rather heavy going. "The Hare" segment happens at just the right time to relieve the weighty proceedings for a little while. Plus, I think the music is delightful, and the narration is droll - I like Jeffrey H-H's voice. I'm also very fond of the kind of English pastoral children's books that are being referenced here - Pooh, Wind in the Willows, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Rabbit, et al... I love them. I think Tull has captured that vibe very well and used it for their own sly purposes.

I don't find the interlude to be the least bit "embarrassing" - in fact, I think the album would be a less enjoyable listening experience without it.

14. avalanche

avalanche Forum Resident

I love it - it's just so odd. Makes for a perfect lighthearted break between sides.

15. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I always wondered if Ian Anderson was influenced by the book "Animal Farm" when he wrote the first version of APP, most of which ended up on "Nightcap", and a few songs on "War Child". The he added fart jokes and such.

16. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Aside from the animals theme you could also consider it a "f*** you" to the critics along with "Only Solitaire."

17. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

I've also always liked this bit very much! I think it's charming and funny. There's no point in sitting on the fence.......scowling.

L.

18. For those who have never watched the video of this (available with the remastered Passion Play CD and the Living With The Past DVD) it is worth your while to check it out.

19. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion Thread Starter

Thanks. I need to listen to the whole thing more carefully - I don't find it particularly heavy going, just rather dull. But the insights here are helping!

Tim

20. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

There's nothing wrong with it. It's a little break to split up the sides. The final line is what makes it hilarious, and worth hearing.

21. Gentle Giant

Gentle Giant Active Member

Back in the day, all my friends were into Thick As a Brick and I was, too. But just to be different, i started trumpeting Passion Play and would give it way more spins. I even truly liked it better at one point. But then i got totally hooked on this section of TAAB:

The Poet and the Painter casting shadows on the water
    as the sun plays on the infantry returning from the sea.
    The do-er and the thinker: no allowance for the other
    as the failing light illuminates the mercenary's creed.
    The home fire burning: the kettle almost boiling
    but the master of the house is far away.
    The horses stamping, their warm breath clouding
    in the sharp and frosty morning of the day.
    And the poet lifts his pen while the soldier sheaths his sword.
    And the youngest of the family is moving with authority.
    Building castles by the sea, he dares the tardy tide to wash them all aside.

The cattle quietly grazing at the grass down by the river
    where the swelling mountain water moves onward to the sea:
    the builder of the castles renews the age-old purpose
    and contemplates the milking girl whose offer is his need.
    The young men of the household have all gone into service
    and are not to be expected for a year.
    The innocent young master - thoughts moving ever faster -
    has formed the plan to change the man he seems.
    And the poet sheaths his pen while the soldier lifts his sword.
    And the oldest of the family is moving with authority.
    Coming from across the sea, he challenges the son who puts him to the run.

I realized there was nothing that exciting on Passion Play. A few years ago, I played PP for the first time in a long while and I was so unimpressed that I sold the CD. I still have the LP with the libretto in the gatefold but I think Ian Anderson made War Child a year too late.

22. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

A Passion Play is hands down my favorite Tull record. And, I love the middle piece.

23. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

+1

I can go years without hearing TAAB (until the 5.1 comes out, anyway) but I've played APP at least once a month since 1973.

24. dwmann

dwmann Well-Known Member

I love PP but can't stand the Hare section. (And yes, I saw it live on the PP tour.) Screws up a great record IMO.

25. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Same here. A Passion Play is just such a deep well of musical pleasure. It outshines everything in the Tull cannon, and that's saying something!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.