I remastered PHIL COLLINS "But Seriously" today for Audio Fidelity. Sounds fantastic.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Here is a heads-up for you Phil Collins fans:

We used the original 1630 master comp reel from the UK, bypassing the limited and over-the-top EQ'd cutting master that can kill small insects at 30 yards and I really enjoyed the listening experience. We can now "hear into" the mix and hear what is really going on deeeep inside the soundfield. Other versions of this album have so much treble EQ added in post that it really obscures the meat of the music to a great extent. No idea why they did that.

You'll have no problem hearing what was done at The Farm, Surrey and what was done at A&M, Hollywood. Each studio "sound" is now clearly distinguishable.

Cool.

I couldn't even play the old CD at any sustained volume level without literally getting a headache. This version reveals the complex layering of the music and vocals so the album will seem like a new experience for you (and me).

I think you'll be able to finally crank this album up the way it was meant to be cranked.

Phil Collins "But Seriously" mastered by Steve Hoffman and Stephen Marsh at Marsh Mastering 3/19/2012:

1."Hang in Long Enough" – 4:44
    2."That's Just the Way It Is" – 5:20
    3."Do You Remember?" – 4:36
    4."Something Happened on the Way to Heaven" – 4:52
    5."Colours" – 8:51
    6."I Wish It Would Rain Down" – 5:28
    7."Another Day in Paradise" – 5:22
    8."Heat on the Street" – 3:51
    9."All of My Life" – 5:36
    10."Saturday Night and Sunday Morning" (instrumental) – 1:26
    11."Father to Son" – 3:28
    12."Find a Way to My Heart" – 6:08

I think that people get confused as to what constitutes a digital MASTER in the early digital daze.. There is the final assembled master on a U-Matic tape and then there is a U-Matic copy "cutting master" that has nasty (usually) EQ and compression moves on it for ease of record cutting and CD mastering. If that is bypassed, the digital original mixes usually sound wonderful, full of life, dynamic and tuneful.

I think since everyone used Yamaha NS-10M's then, it really caused a lot of engineers and producers to boost the treble and kill the bass just because they could. After years of not being able to do that due to the rules of disk cutting, making the CD version caused them to just forget about what sounded good and go nuts on the screech.

My point being, the good sounding versions sometimes still exist if one can dig deep. In our case we had the cooperation of Phil Collins so that made it possible for us to actually hear what the artist, producer and engineers created in the studio before the TONEZAPPERS got their hands on the sound.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I just received my check disk from our mastering. This thing really sounds wonderful. Plenty of bass on the original mixes, nice balanced tones, magic mids. Can't wait to play it again.

I've ignored this album for years due to the thin, screechy sound but these original unmessed with mixes sound incredible. Truly an eye opener for me (and will be for you).

Thanks to our friends (Phil's people) in the UK for coming through with the real deal for the fourth time. You guys are great.

So a few little fix-up mastering revisions tomorrow and this can be put to bed. Next stop, manufacturing.

poe_man, crispi, Dino and 2 others like this.
  2. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

I'll get a copy. When's it out, a month or two?

MrBigShow likes this.
  3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

While I'm not a big Phil fan...the chance to hear he and Clapton, in Steve's hands do " I Wish It Would Rain Down," is too tempting... besides, the rest of the album wouldn't kill me. :laugh:

For the record, I like " I Don't Care Anymore " too.

MrBigShow likes this.
  4. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Oh boy! :goodie:

5. gordolindsay

gordolindsay Forum Resident

I take it this is for Audio Fidelity?

6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Steve, thanks for the info. I'll be getting a copy of the gold CD.

7. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Yes. A gold CD is coming.

8. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

Now I am excited!

edit: oh and thank you for your fine work Steve! or Mr. Hoffman, not sure which I should use

9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Lord And Master is good. ;)

Linger63 likes this.
  10. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

nah that is someone else for me :)

dnuggett likes this.
  11. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Cool! This my favorite Phil album. Thanks for the info Steve. :thumbsup:

12. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I like this album a lot. And I am a big Phil Collins fan. Never understood the hate for him.

I will definitely be getting this.

13. So, Steve, the important question: Did you find some bass on it?

Good to hear that this new version will be less bright. The original CD was hard to listen to at louder volumes.

14. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I'm excited about this release.

15. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

:idea:

He has a pale complexion, has been bald for many years, made a name for himself in a "prog rock" band, if you like prog rock he may have replaced your favourite prog rock singer, he often eschews the use of nasty distorted guitar in favor of horns and synths, ad nauseum blah blah...

Trey Parker and Matt Stone should have won that Oscar instead of him though.

16. TStewart422

TStewart422 Forum Resident

Suh-weet! I'll be getting this one!

17. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

The original CD was hard for me to listen to at ANY volume. Horribly high-endy.

I second the bass question.

18. Mike the Fish

Mike the Fish Señor Member

Isn't one of the points of mastering to give more consistency to the sound and to hide the different studio sounds? I can appreciate this can rob Peter to pay Paul as it was, but will this make the album a less cohesive listen? I think I can see an argument either way - for a boutique release I guess. Also, when you mention the cutting master, do you mean the literal cutting master as in the tapes for the vinyl, or the master for the CD. Are you presenting the album in it's 10 track vinyl sequence or the 12 track CD sequence?

19. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I'm sure for the money the answer to that is 12 track CD or 11 track on my CD as "Another Day In Paradise" is adios. Agree with MYKE about the love for "I Wish It Would Rain Down".

20. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

YES!!!! Thanks Steve!

21. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Excellent. Looking fwd to it! Many great album tracks on this one.

22. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I just received my check disk from our mastering yesterday. This thing really sounds wonderful. Plenty of bass on the original mixes, nice balanced tones, magic mids. Can't wait to play it again.

I've ignored this album for years due to the thin, screechy sound but these original unmessed with mixes sound incredible. Truly an eye opener for me (and will be for you).

Thanks to our friends (Phil's people) in the UK for coming through with the real deal for the fourth time. You guys are great.

So a few little fix-up mastering revisions tomorrow and this can be put to bed. Next stop, manufacturing.

23. serj

serj Forum Resident

Great! This is my next AF CD (after Dio & Bryan Adams):) More 80's classic, pls!!!

24. MellowVelo

MellowVelo Forum Resident

Now that you're tight with Phil's people, what's the possibility of some Genesis albums? :winkgrin:

25. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

another release worth getting ! can't wait!