Laptop Freezing Up - Please Help?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by George P, Mar 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Hi,

I run Windows XP on a Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop. Recently the computer has been freezing up, so I ran virus and malware checks, but came up with nothing. Then I tried Error Checking the hard drive, checking both "Auto Fix File Errors" and "Scan for/Attempt recovery of Bad Sectors." This caused the the drive to freeze up four times in a row. Each time I let the scan run for a day or longer, but it remained stuck at 97% in stage 4.

So, do I need a new hard drive? (Or should I buy a new laptop? Mine is about 2 and a half years old)

If so, what do I need to do before removing the drive (please be specific)? I can get the system to start sometimes, but I don't really have anything on the drive that I need to keep. I also have the Windows CD (or DVD) that came with the computer. Is that all I need to install windows on the new drive?

2. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

make sure your microsoft and anti-virus definitions are up to date, do a defrag, clean up files, and beef up scripting defenses. Run some ad filtering. Sounds like a scripting problem.

3. George P

I know how to do the first (and will do so), but for the rest, can you tell me how?

4. George P

I tried defragging and my system froze about 75% of the way through. :sigh:

5. Soundman

Soundman Senior Member

I'd replace that aging hard drive.

6. George P

Thanks!

Where's a good place to buy it?

Are they fairly universal? Can I upgrade the size?

Will I be able to easily reinstall Windows with the CD. That came with the Laptop?

7. If there is nothing on it that you need to keep, try reformatting and a fresh install before purchasing a new drive.

8. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

Yes, replace drive (not a software,virus,scripting problem if freezing during checkdisk or defrag).

9. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

i'd agree IF his system wasn't freezing during both checkdisk and defrag.

10. Parhelion

Parhelion Forum Resident

Hi George - If the unit won't run through a "Scandisk", sounds like the hard drive is failing. Depending on the cost of replacing the hard drive, it may be cheaper to purchase a new unit, where the hard drive will be new, the operating system up to date, more memory, etc.

11. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

Possibly.... George.. what model, or at least specs: cpu, ram. Sounds older than 2.5 years if came with XP (unless XP by choice over Vista).

12. George P

Yes, I chose XP over Vista. HD is 250 GB.

Model is Toshiba Satellite Pro, L300-EZ1523.

13. Soundman

Soundman Senior Member

Where's a good place to buy it?
    Check out http://www.newegg.com/ and worth looking at amazon. (really!)

Are they fairly universal? Can I upgrade the size?
    You shouldn't have a problem as long as you can determine if the HD is PATA or SATA. - Have no idea of the model number of your laptop as it hasn't been mentioned yet. :)
    Let us know the model number or look it up online to find out the specifications of your machine/drive.
    As for size.. should not be a problem in most cases. :)

Will I be able to easily reinstall Windows with the CD. That came with the Laptop?
    You shouldn't have a problem with installation with your factory restore disc.

14. Soundman

Soundman Senior Member

15. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

if it's serving your needs, then get the above hdd (or used/tested on Ebay for $50). 2gb ram is enough for xp. If not serving your needs, get the used hdd anyway as you should be able to sell a working Toshiba in good shape for a around $200, and put towards a win7 machine with more ram, speed, space and a warranty.

16. Soundman

Soundman Senior Member

For the sake of a couple bucks.. I would not buy a used HD... These smaller drives are delicate enough to go from good to dead from a simple postal delivery. < need i say more about delivery people? >
    At least, if you buy NEW from a retailer, you can easily get a replacement if you recieve your drive D.O.A. - Save yourself the hastle and don't "cheap-out" on the hard drive.

I'll now bow out and wish you good luck with your laptop. It'll work out. :)

17. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

I was thinking used if he was going to sell it..but yeah, probably not worth hassle for only $15 (and not if he's keeping it, though I did suggest that. Good catch).

Bowing out too.. good luck dude!

18. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Do you still have the OS disc and driver disc that came with the laptop? Laptops are pretty hard to restore from scratch unless you have the driver disc.

19. TaterBones

TaterBones Active Member

How full is your hard drive / how much free space is left?

20. Davey

Davey NP: Brian Eno ~ Ambient 4: On Land (1982 LP)

Not sure about Toshiba, but I was having some problems with the Seagate drive in my HP laptop a few months ago that had me scared and looking at possible replacement (couldn't perform backups because of errors), so I downloaded the Seagate disc utility, burned it to a CD image per their instructions, and booted it to run full disc test. It found the errors and completely fixed the drive, unlike any of the Microsoft tools. No problems since.

This site has links for all of the drive makers ... http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

On the other hand, I was having a similar problem to yours on my Dell laptop at work, with it freezing after running a few days (and it would also report exception errors when starting windows) and they had to finally replace the hard drive after trying some other changes first.

21. George P

More than 50 percent.

22. George P

I think I only have one disc.

23. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

You'll have to check that disc closely to see if it is XP and/or drivers.

Not trying to scare you, but restoring a laptop with a new OS/new hard drive can be pretty complex. The drivers give you the most trouble. And if you've never installed an OS from scratch, it can be a bit tricky.

24. George P

Thanks, I will check it.

25. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

you are best off getting a new laptop/netbook. For $350 you can get a great setup. Avoid anything Windows 7 starter. Get at least 2 gig ram. I have had good luck with B&H Photo or J&R, both in NYC. Maybe you should look elsewhere though, because where you live tax will be included.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.