Blur Catalogue Currently Being Remastered At Abbey Road

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jl151080, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member Thread Starter

Just found a link to this article on the Abbey Road Twitter page:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/feb/28/blur-reissue-complete-back-catalogue

Blur are reportedly planning to reissue their complete back catalogue. Producer Stephen Street has revealed that he is remastering the band's full discography and that Blur seem to be working with William Orbit on new material.

"I love Blur, I think they're some of the most talented people I've ever worked with," Street said in a recent interview with Louder Than War. "I'm currently remastering their entire back catalogue ... It's just great to listen to the tapes and think that now they sound so much better. They sound fuller, and wider, and I'm really pleased to be focusing on it. I'm really chuffed as a producer how it's sounding."

There is no word on when these albums will be reissued, though next year will mark the 20th anniversary of Modern Life Is Rubbish. Prior to their recent performance at the Brit awards, Blur hinted at a possible US tour, and they have been booked to play the London Olympics' closing ceremonies. There has also been recurrent talk of a new album – their first in almost a decade.

According to Street, a full-length doesn't seem very likely. "I got the impression that they don't want the pressure of having to make a new [LP]," he said. But the group do seem to be prepping a single: Under the Westway, which premiered live at last week's War Child benefit. "I would love to be asked to produce [Blur] again," Street said, "but ... they haven't asked me to do the Under the Westway track. William Orbit is involved apparently, but I don't know."

2. popscene

popscene Senior Member

Thanks for sharing this. Expanded reissues with b-sides, demos, and outtakes would be more than welcome!

3. Topcheeseman

Topcheeseman Forum Resident

And vinyl releases including a b sides album would be out of this world. The original vinyl costs an absolute fortune currently (after selling all my originals a few years ago when I misguidedly moved to CD).

Their b sides are generally excellent as well!

4. jedilips00

jedilips00 non-exist-ent

Count me in if they reissue the vinyl - I'd love to have their entire catalog in LPs.

5. frank010

frank010 Well-Known Member

Good news. Looking forward to these. I'm surre they'll be done properly and packaged with plenty of rarities.

6. Duck Feeling

Duck Feeling Forum Resident

This is incredible: http://blur.co.uk/blur21/
    There are all the b-sides and, finally, Showtime on DVD. I know much of the material but there are some interesting previously unreleased demos and outtakes, so I'll definitely buy this. 160 £ on Amazon.co.uk.

There is one small omission: fan club song Colours from Think Tank sessions. There is also a "TBC" track, maybe this is it? Do you think there's a way to contact them and tell them nicely "that'd be great to add Colours!", huhu?

I hope the remaster will be done nicely, I'm always curious for the 90's remasters. Some albums were done with measure, and brickwalled sounds today sometimes ruin them. I hope not.

Now they have to do the same thing with Beck!

7. Duck Feeling

Apparently, only the first five albums are getting remastered. Maybe we can see it as a sign of careful and respectful treatment towards the music?

8. Greg(ory)

Greg(ory) Some Stupid With A Space Gun

and:

Blur 21: The Vinyl Box
    All seven vinyl formats of the Blur albums are collected together for The Vinyl Box and housed in a sturdy hard case, presenting the definitive collection of Blur vinyl.

9. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Paul McCartney should take note :shh:

:agree:

10. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

I think the box (cd) is expensive

11. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Amazon Italy has a good price, less expensive than its UK partner

12. Duck Feeling

Amazon.it indeed has the best price. 160 euros for the whole CD package seems really fair!

There's a new video of the box:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qefhT_96wYU

We can see that the digisleeves are standing on what it seems to be a plastic support. That's clever and cool, no scratch from a cover to another.

13. alugjk

alugjk Senior Member

Does anyone know if this is going to be released in the US?
    I am worried that the DVDs won't play here....
    -George

14. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

I have no such info, but I'd be shocked if this were anything but a limited-run/UK-only item...

15. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I can't see this doing well in the USA, other than with the hardcore Anglophiles such as ourselves who have already pre-ordered from Amazon.uk.

These days I order more CDs from Amazon.uk than from US Amazon. No VAT, and the UK prices kill the ridiculous "import" prices that US Amazon slaps on a lot of items like this Blur box. You can even pay in dollars on the UK site.

16. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

Blur did some stunning stuff. If they do a great job on the remastering and if the vinyl is nicely pressed, these sets are my hands-down picks of the year--I'd gladly spring for both. Can't wait...

17. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

At least they are offering the CDs and LPs for individual purchase, instead of locking you into buying an expensive box set. The LPs individually cost a little less than the vinyl box, so that's a viable option. As for the CDs, one could by them separately, too, and at a significant savings over the box set, but you'd be missing out on the rareties discs and other goodies.

18. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

How much is VAT these days, and is it still factored into Amazon's asking price? I might consider going this route for future purchases, too.

19. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I also doubt that there will be a North American release.

However, the DVDs will be all region NTSC

20. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

Looks like Amazon US is cheaper for the vinyl releases right now than Amazon UK.

21. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Wow....it had to happen sooner or later. Except for "Leisure" I've got all their stuff on vinyl so I'm not too excited. But it's great that these records are available again!

22. Neonbeam

Just was wondering if the pre-"13" albums are single or double vinyl this time around. "Blur" was released on both formats back in 1997 and the double set sounds so much better. "Modern Life" & "Parklife" would benefit from that treatment too since they're a bit too long for a single record.

23. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Except for "Leisure", these 2012 releases are 2 LPs

24. Neonbeam

Good to hear....I MIGHT be tempted to pick up "Modern" & "Parklife" again. Not that the originals sound bad. I just think on double vinyl the might sound different. Hope they don't ruin them with bad remastering.

25. dunkrag

dunkrag Forum Resident

Look like a great release.

Have ordered both sets at the moment.
    Just £120 at amazon right now for the CD set.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.