Recommend more albums like Dr. John's Gris Gris

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jeff K, Feb 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff K

Jeff K Well-Known Member Thread Starter

That swampy, bluesy, voodoo, psych sound... whatever you want to call it. I haven't heard any other record that sounds quite like it but I'd love to be proven wrong. Anything else that taps into that Gris Gris dark vibe?

olson likes this.
  2. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

There are no other albums quite like Gris-Gris.

You may want to explore Mardi Gras Indian music, which is one of the many things Dr. John drew from at the time. The 1976 Wild Tchoupitoulas album (which later spawned the Neville Brothers) and the two Wild Magnolias albums are a real good place to start.

rockinlazys and Sneaky Pete like this.
  3. Jeff K

I remember that Wild Tchoupitoulas album! I haven't heard it in ages though. I recall it being not quite as weird as Gris Gris but like I said, it's been awhile. I loved that Wild Magnolias track that came off of Soul Jazz's excellent Saturday Night Fish Fry compilation so maybe I'll investigate farther.

4. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member

Swampy

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

One of Dr. John's later LPs (1970) The Sun Moon & Herbs is similar.

6. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I'd also recommend another of his early albums, Remedies (the first half is all great, the side-long track is just OK). One of his 90s albums, Anutha Zone, also went back to the voodoo vibe.

7. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Truer words were never spoken.

JimD and Platterpus like this.
  8. trebori

trebori Forum Resident

What about the music of Exuma? He had a couple of albums released on Mercury in the early 70s. I only heard the first one a couple of times and it seemed pretty deep in the gumbo. Struck me as very weird at the time.

It's odd this topic should come up because I''ve been listening to a lot of Nina Simone lately and she did several of his tunes. Which made me think of him and how I would like to hear those few early records again.

Were they as odd as I remember them?

drasil likes this.
  9. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Amen. I love that Wild Tchoupitoulas album, but it sounds like the Bay City Rollers compared to Gris Gris. :D

Gumboo likes this.
  10. Jeff K

There has to be another buried treasure somewhere that is similar to Gris-Gris.:cry:

Since it appears like it's a one-of-kind album, wouldn't a deluxe edition be nice? The second disc could have out-takes and live performances. I'd settle for that.

11. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

If there's an album with a song like "I Walk On Guilded Splinters" on it, I'd love to know about it too.

12. Jeff K

Well, there's that Humble Pie Fillmore live album....

:D

13. maclen

maclen Senior Member

I like the good Dr.'s Creole Moon. It has a song called Bruha Bemble that kinda reminds me of Gris Gris. Swampy.

14. Gentle Giant

Gentle Giant Active Member

I'm thinking "Four Cornered Room" from War's The World Is a Ghetto.

15. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Johnny Jenkins 1970 LP Ton-Ton Macoute on Capricorn is the closest to Gris Gris that I can think of. It's also got that swampy vibe and he also covers Wlak on Gilded Splinters. Duane Allman plays some beautiful guitar on the Lp too.

zphage likes this.
  16. Jeff K

It's a little pricey even used but I'll keep an eye and ear out for it.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, folks.

17. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

I think Tom Waits Bone Machine has a lot of that same vibe, especially on a song like the opening "Earth Died Screaming".

Have you ever heard the closing "Cop Shoot Cop" on the Spiritualized Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space record from the mid 90s? Goes on just about forever, with Dr. John playing some of that voodoo piano and singing background. Has some of that Gris-Gris flavor, but gets a little noisier :)

18. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

And that Cher Jackson Highway album... :sigh:

19. aaronfirebrand

aaronfirebrand Well-Known Member

One of my favorites is by The Golden Eagles: Lightning And Thunder (featuring Monk Boudreaux), an intimate, live recording that doesn't sound like Gris Gris, but which deserves mention whenever possible.

Attached Files:

20. mfp

mfp Senior Member

I'm a huge fan of Gris-Gris, but sadly I can't begin to think of another album with the same vibe.

Bone Machine by Tom Waits is a good call though. Different vibe but same craziness.

I will follow this thread very closely.

rockinlazys likes this.
  21. ronton99

ronton99 Forum Resident

It might be a bit of a stretch, but Little Feat did some slinky, funky music - stuff like "On Your Way Down" on Dixie Chicken.
    More polished, not voodoo, but funky.

22. [​IMG]

Gris-Gris (1968) / Babylon (1968) / The Sun, Moon & Herbs (1971)
    / Dr. John's Gumbo (1972) / In The Right Place (1972)

Five albums in a box.

Opinions on individual albums welcome!

23. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

Daniel Lanois' Acadie.

24. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

I don't know if there is any. Gris-Gris sounds like it comes straight outta the swamps of Louisiana.

25. Gentle Giant

Gentle Giant Active Member

Robbie Robertson's Storyville is a more urban take on Louisiana influences and culture.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.