New Talk Talk Vinyl from EMI announced?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Yovra, Jan 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads Thread Starter

2. marantzbe

marantzbe Hyperactive!

Interesting news.
    Deluxe edition?
    Or 45rpm mastering?

3. Yovra

Both would be fine with me, although a 'deluxe edition' would require some cooperation with Mark Hollis, and I don't see that happening... a nice mastering on fine vinyl and 45 rpm would be great!:thumbsup:

4. I'll wait for the reviews on this board, but if they're positive these would be a no-brainer for me. My 2 favourite Talk Talk albums.

5. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

My UK first press pf Colour of Spring is superb, but if these get the 45rpm treatment and a good mastering then they will probably be must owns!

6. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Is the UK version of Colour of Spring better than the US Wally? I've heard the US Wally is one of the finest sounding LPs in many people's collections.

7. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Have both the US Wally and an early UK. I prefer the US over the UK, by a slight margin.

8. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Great albums...and well worth a deluxe treatment!

I've been listening to Laughing Stock and the Mark Hollis solo quite a bit lately; it took a while for them to "sink in" but I finally get them both.

9. phallumontis

phallumontis Active Member

You know, I've never thought about it, but you're absolutely right. It really does sound amazing.

I'd love to see Spirit of Eden get the special treatment, though the pressing had better be silent. That album has too many quiet spaces to be ruined by noisy surfaces. Same goes for Laughing Stock, if that ever gets reissued.

Such a fascinating career path for a band, when you really think about it!

10. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Laughing Stock was recently reissued http://www.badabingrecords.com/2012/01/talk-talk-laughing-stock-re-press/

11. Yovra

12. marantzbe

marantzbe Hyperactive!

Dutch pressing?

My copies are quiet and sound neutral and well balanced.

13. Yovra

I'm referring to the recent Ba Da Bing-reissues as discussed here:
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=261238&highlight=laughing+stock+vinyl
    My original Spirit of Eden-copy is quite silent and better sounding than both my cd-versions of it. And it's a German pressing.
    And of course I'm very curious how a decent remastering (dedicated to vinyl) on 45rpm might sound.

I just asked the what/who-question on the JPC-website where these two 2LP's are advertised, it's just announcements for now...I'll keep you posted when there's more information.

14. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I would much prefer the UK pressing over the US I find the US pressing a bit dry sounding.

Can you post the deadwax info of your UK pressing.

JG

15. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Here you go James.

stamped side 1
    EMC 3506 A-1-1-3
    written faint - NickZ

stamped side 2
    EMC 3560 B-1-1-2
    written faint - NickZ

16. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

I haven't heard the UK, but I'm not all that impressed with my minty US Wally--it's definitely not one of the finest sounding LPs in my collection. "Happiness is Easy" sounds great, but much of the rest of it seems to have a somewhat glaring upper midrange on my system. Maybe someone with a drier, less tubey system than mine would have better results. I'd have to say that in general, of the really legendary mastering names, Wally pressings have probably been the least impressive on my system. Porky, Ludwig, Piros, and Hulko cuts have almost always sounded stunning to me, but Wallys, not so much. I only have about 3 Wallys, though (and none of the famous ones, like Boston S/T).

17. Yovra

(Funny how this seems to be turning into a US/UK-vinyl comparison-thread; I'm still curious about the possible NEW vinyl releases! :) I used the search-function and seeing there isn't a dedicated US/UK-Colour of Spring-thread, I think it's fine for now. Although it IS a bit strange to get sidetracked on your own thread by a bunch of vinyl-anoraks!:D)

18. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Re: Colour of Spring vinyl pressings

You can bet that any vinyl reissue of CoS will be digitally sourced. I've got the Simply Vinyl reissues of CoS and It's My Life. They're pretty good if you can't find a minty UK original.

The US Wally pressing I heard was fantastic. I'd speculate that there are so many US pressings of this, and the later pressings are inferior.

I have the orig UK pressing, and you can hear the percussion and other details more clearly. The UK and US pressings of It's My Life are also different in the exact same way, but I love the US Liberty mastering. There is also a US Capitol mastering I haven't heard yet.

19. JustVinyl

JustVinyl Forum Resident

20. Yovra

Well, it's GOOD news another shop announces this, but the tracklisting is a bit strange indeed! :confused: My guess so far : 45 rpm 2LPs, both albums provided with a bonus track; It's Getting Late In The Evening :)righton:!) and John Cope.

21. AnotherDeadHero

AnotherDeadHero Forum Resident

If they are digitally sourced here's hoping they use the same masters as the SACD pressings. They sounded immense.

I have two original copies of 'Spirit of Eden' both of which are too noisy for absolute enjoyment.

22. James Glennon

The UK pressing I have is...

EMC 3506 A-1-1-1 NickZ
    EMC 3506 B-1-1-1 NickZ

I had one the same as yours but came across this pressing and it is better in every way than the A-1-1-3/B-1-1-2 version.

Check out the back cover! The one I used to have on the back cover on the bottom left, it had Made in England or Made in the UK.

The A-1-1-1/B-1-1-1 doesn't have anything on the back cover lower left hand side, it might help you to find the one I am talking about.

Colour of Spring is one of my all time favourite records!

JG

23. James Glennon

Didn't mean to thread crap (as we say here), but sometimes going the long way round can reap its rewards later on!

Not to thread crap again, I had an EMI Centenary copy of Colour of Spring (Digital) and it sucked!

So if the new reissues are digitally sourced then forget it!

JG

24. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Wow - I'm sorry it sucked, but I'm shocked to hear that. I'd thought all of those Centenary reissues were supposed to be great, but I think I remember only a few were from the analog masters. Wasn't Genesis' Selling England By The Pound one? And Talking Heads' Remain in Light?

25. Yovra

Well, I didn't really find the discussion 'crap'; I might even use the info in due time when the announced new releases turn out to be inferior compared to the original vinyl! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.