Ray & Betty Carter DCC Gold: Steve, tell us another mastering w Ray Charles story!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LeeS, Jan 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

Been listening to the gold Ray Charles and Betty Carter. It's really wonderful.

Any new memories of that mastering session?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Lee,

Not much to tell about it. I remember doing that session in the dark, just the glow of the equipment for illumination.

Ray had called Betty Carter on the phone that morning for a chat, then he was reading Esquire (Braille version) and Terry and I mucked around a bit with the sound presentation, finally backing off on most EQ altogether.

We did the initial transfer and asked Ray what he liked or didn't like about it. He told me that it sounded better to him than he remembered and he liked that I didn't try to boost the treble on the orchestra. I told him that a treble boost would have made their voices sound unnatural and also brought up the tape hiss so it would never be a good idea on intimate music like that. He agreed, thanked me, listened for a while and nodded. I have a feeling he had not heard that material in a long, long time.

He was very sensitive to the fact that the ABC-Paramount LP sold about eight copies initially and always felt that the album was unjustly neglected over the years. We tried to right that wrong.

3. sirwallacerock

sirwallacerock The Gun Went Off In My Hand, Officer

Steve,

I'm curious--were there any songs or performances that seemed to stir deep emotion out of Ray C when he was listening back to them?

SWR

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Definitely "Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye" by Cole Porter from the RAY & BETTY LP.

5. LeeS

Well, Steve, you did Ray right on this one. It sounds spectacular. Even for its age the front album cover looks a little cheap to me. I wonder if better art and better promotion would have helped as the music is terrific in my view. This has my favorite version of Baby, It's Cold Outside.

6. Thanks for sharing this story Steve, its a beautiful disc that I play very often.

7. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I think this is a gorgeous album, Steve your work on this really did bring out the best in these two wonderful artists.

A question, I have the silver DCC CD version, is there any difference sonically between this and the gold version. I've heard there are differences on some of the other Ray DCC's ie tube and solid state, did you master these twice?

8. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

Just thinking about this rendition wets my eyes a little. I have loaned out five copies of this CD (four silvers and a gold) to friends. None has--and will--return. A lovely album, indeed. :love:

:wave:

9. Paul G

Paul G Senior Member

I have the DCC vinyl of the Ray Charles and Betty Carter album. I actually got it during a forum NYC meetup at Academy Records a few years ago; I think forum member Todd Fredericks called my attention to it in one of the bins. Anything noteworthy about mastering the vinyl?

I agree with Lee about this album's version of "Baby, It's Cold Outside." Best I've heard.

McLover likes this.
  10. LeeS

:cheers:

11. juanmanuel

juanmanuel Forum Resident

Best I have heard to me is in the Jo Stafford LP "Ski Trails". Without any doubt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.