Is a Record weight (1 lb.) a good idea for Rega RP1 TT?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GKH, Jan 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GKH

GKH Senior Member Thread Starter

Would this be a good addition for my RP1? I have to wonder.. Can the little RP1 support a 1 lb. weight? And, will there be that much of an audible improvement?

A local shop has these for about $49.00.

[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

No, Rega does not recommend any weights. Use a Souther Clever Clamp if you need it.

3. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

or the Rega version of the Michell clamp.

4. GKH

GKH Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks!
    For now, I'll wait.

5. Wasatch

Wasatch Music Lover!

I've heard the same thing about weights.

6. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

I've been using a 1lb TTWeights weight/bubble combo for over a year now on my P3-24 with TTPSU and haven't noticed any damage. So this is bad?

7. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

No.

8. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

sonically...

-Bill

9. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The Rega tables can of course "handle" weights. The issue is that most users who heard a difference have found that using a weight sounded worse than not using one. Personally, I found that a rubber clamp that I had was so small and light that it made little difference sonically but I just couldn't be bothered with the stupid thing every play as it, well, was so small and light that it made little difference sonically...

The only use for one is the rare "dish warped" record where the center of the Lp would not lay flat but the outside would. Using a clamp there will flatten the record out. Edge warps really can't be helped that way. As for a heavy, metal weight, the issue becomes dropping it and permanently damaging an Lp. That and since it doesn't really come in handy, $50 that could have been put towards a cartridge upgrade, a phono stage upgrade, or more records, etc.
    -Bill

10. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

Thanks Bill, it's nice to know I'm not damaging my motor only my listening experience. :)

I listened to my table plenty long before I started using the weight (as I did with my other upgrades) and found the improvement to be subtle yet worthwhile and it's nice to see that bubble perfectly centered on the spindle while the record is playing.

I'm just glad you're not a Harley-Davidson dealer... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.