Albums you had but didn't know were mastered by Steve Hoffman

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Schmeig, Dec 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schmeig

Schmeig Forum Resident Thread Starter

This morning I was playing a 2-CD set "Jim Croce - 5oth Anniversary Collection", which I've had and enjoyed for years, but didn't realize was mastered by Steve, until reading a comment here some time ago. It is a fantastic, great-sounding collection, which I'm sure most of you are familiar with. I particularly like hearing tracks that were at the time unreleased, such as "The Migrant Worker".

Maybe this topic has been discussed before, but are there any similar discoveries you made in your own collections? These days, when I pull out an old CD to listen to, I now check the credits to see who was involved in the production, mastering, etc.

Happy new year to all! I've enjoyed joining the forum this year and participating in discussions.

2. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

The Genius of Ray Charles - Atlantic CD.

I didn't know until I saw this exchange:

I also had the Razor & Tie Don Covay and James Carr compilations before I joined up here but I didn't care about mastering credits back then.

3. TonyR

TonyR Forum Resident

I had the Beach Boys "Lost & Found" (on cassette!) for years before I joined this forum. When I transferred it to CD (can't call it a needledrop), I then noted that it was a Steve Hoffman project. This was shortly around the time I joined this forum.

I also have a compilation mastered by Mr. Hoffman: "Rock the First, Vol. 3" that I only noticed his name recently.

Everything else I have with his involvement I purchased because he was involved: e.g. Buddy Holly's "From the Original Master Tapes".

4. laynecobain

laynecobain Active Member

Deep Purple Live
    Audio Fidelity

5. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

^ Ditto ;) (a hybrid SACD, no less)

6. steeler1979

steeler1979 Darren from Nashville

A while back I discovered Steve did the Razor & Tie version of "Hard To Hold", a soundtrack from the movie by Rick Springfield. It wasn't even listed in his discography (not sure if it was since added), but I confirmed through Steve himself that he did in fact master it!

7. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Billy Joe Shavers Razor & Tie disc...loved it since it came out and only realized SH did it a year or so ago.

Sean likes this.
  8. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

Not a mastering job, but my mind was blown upon discovering that Steve Hoffman co-wrote the song "Cecilia Ann" from the Pixies' Bossanova.

dennis1077 and lightbulb like this.
  9. Schmeig

Schmeig Forum Resident Thread Starter

10. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

That's it.

11. I wasn't aware for years that "The Great 28" Chuck Berry vinyl was Steve's.

12. tolkev

tolkev Rain Dog

I just realized this year my Ventures Christmas CD was mastered by SH.

rodentdog likes this.
  13. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

That Tom Petty "Prairie" album.

14. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Neither, apparently, is the keeper of the discography listing on this site.

15. avbuff

avbuff Forum Resident

the FIXX: Reach the Beach
    This is a toughy, as Steve is not credited on this release. I would have never known had it not been for his discography on this website.

Uncle Miles and fortherecord like this.
  16. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

Leon Russell - Hank Wilson's Back

This is one of my favorite Russell albums and I had it for years before noticing it in the Hoffman discography.

He mastered the CD version, not the vinyl. Now that I think about it I have never compared the two versions - sounds like a project for a long weekend.

17. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

Soon after joining this site, I started going through my CDs and making a note of the mastering engineer (where credited) in my CD database.

While doing this, I discovered the soundtrack for Raiders Of The Lost Ark was mastered by our host.

18. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Not me, no.

19. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Beach Boys on Razor & Tie
    Who's Next and maybe the Odorono album
    some Steely Dan
    the Pet Sounds LP

20. laynecobain

laynecobain Active Member

21. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

As mentioned in an earlier thread, the Mamas and the Papas, 16 of Their Greatest Hits CD.

22. Ah, well, my mistake. I was thinking of "Chuck Berry Rock 'n' Roll Rarities" and "More of"...but wrote "The Great 28".

malfunction of the brain you know...after 45 it's all downhill ;)

23. Blu Falcon

Blu Falcon New Member

I had some older Razor Tie 80s comps. Not sure if they were mastered by SH or not, but I remember reading somewhere he did a few.

24. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Golden Earring "Moontan" MCA cd, had it for ages, was always reluctant to part with it in hard times , wasn't until I came here that I realised why.

25. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

I just listened to the James Carr comp the other day and I still didn't know Steve mastered it till your post. Really nice disc!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.