Adventures In Mastering: DIO "Holy Diver" AF Gold CD version: PHOTOS at post #8..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Quite a fun day working on HOLY DIVER. It was nice to finally hear this album minus the years of built up bad EQ and compression on all the released media. It's such a relief to be able to hear the album with some dynamics for a change. It makes the listening experience more enjoyable, y'all!

After baking (and salting to taste, uummmm, good) I used the original SOUND CITY STUDIO 1983 analog 30 ips AES half inch non-Dolby original stereo mixes (does everyone know what that means now?) and Steph Marsh and I meticulously mastered the album directly from those original work parts. These tapes haven't been used in many, many years, they are essentially the "DO NOT USE" work parts. They sound great after baking. Most everything was mastered with the EQ Cutting Masters down through the years. NOT THIS VERSION We bypassed those tapes after reviewing. They could kill insects at 30 paces..

I gave Ronnie a human voice, made him sound more 3-D and everything else just fell in to place. Tremendous drum sounds and galloping guitars sound pretty lifelike. No treble was added by me and no treble was removed by me. No need to. This is what they were going for in the studio before post production tampering made the sound thin and mean. Not our new version! I'm happy.

Our two SH Forum guests took a lot of pictures of everything and when they recover from the music and the Brontoburgers we had, they will post some great pictures, I'm sure.

All in all a fun Metal day. I'll be listening to the check disk in a day and when this baby is put to bed, it's off to the plant so you can hear our efforts.

Hope you like it!

PHOTOS STARTING AT POST #8..

2. Robobrewer

Robobrewer Forum Resident

Thanks for the update, Steve!
    I've been impatiently waiting to see how things went.

3. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Cool, sounds great! :cool:

4. CletusVanDamme

CletusVanDamme Forum Resident

Thanks for the update, Steve. Can you typically master a "normal" disc in one day, assuming the work parts are all there? It sounds like that's what usually happens.

I appreciate the insights you provide into the process.

5. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Thanks! Sounds like this will be awesome. Had the original tapes ever been used before, or were only copies used?

Dan

6. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I look forward to hearing this. :cheers:

7. dvcarrick

dvcarrick Forum Resident

Wow - this will be great - loved this album first time around and he killer tour he did o support it... Been down too long in the midnight sea...

8. Steve Hoffman

These photos by Rajeev Talwani.

In the last one I'm feelin' it, double lighters lit!

Attached Files:

9. Steve Hoffman

Pic two: Air guitar
    Pic three: Ampex ATR-100 analog playback deck, 30 ips 1/2" tape.

Attached Files:

10. Steve Hoffman

First pic: Brontoburgers!

Second pic with Roger Nilsson.

Photos by Roger Nilsson:

BURGER CLOSE UP, yumm! Our "Good Luck Burgers", had the same for every "out of the park" mastering done at Marsh. Can't change now!

Last shot: The Ampex ATR-100, haulin' butt!

Attached Files:

pmaraujo and BludgeonRiffola like this.
  11. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Hey Steve, is that an EAR Equalizer in the one pic?

12. Steve Hoffman

Full of Telefunkens, yes.

13. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

Awesome pictures. ;) I've already said it in the other thread, but thanks again, Steve! I had a great time.

pmaraujo likes this.
  14. Steve Hoffman

Both Marsh and I did our homework for the past two weeks. We were ready for each other today. Took about four hours to do the final mastering.

pmaraujo likes this.
  15. Steve Hoffman

These tapes haven't been used in many, many years, they are essentially the "DO NOT USE" work parts. They sound great after baking. Most everything was mastered with the EQ Cutting Masters down through the years. We bypassed those after reviewing. They could kill insects at 30 paces..

16. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

heavy metal and burgers...classic combo. :D

17. Steve Hoffman

It was great having you and Rajeev there. You can say to your grandkids "I lived through the DIO mastering adventure and had a great burger!"

18. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

:cool:

Thanks for the update and the great pics :D

19. rtalwani

rtalwani Forum Resident

As you can tell from the photos, Roger and I had a great time at the Dio mastering session. Holy Diver fans will be thrilled at how terrific this album sounds. Stephen Marsh, Fernando and Stephanie are wonderful hosts and we learned a lot about the art and science of mastering. While I don't want to give away any trade secrets, I think it's safe to say that the hand signals, air guitar and Brontoburgers were an essential part of giving Dio the "Breath Of Life"!

20. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

I love it all!! And if there is a future mastering session for Rainbow Rising or Long Live Rock and Roll, I will be one of the guests!! :cheers:

21. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

This is going to sell extremely well I bet. Here's hoping we get more Dio and metal from AF!

22. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Excellent,Can`t wait to hear Holy Diver done right!:cool:

23. Rat44

Rat44 Forum Resident

Looks like everybody had a good time.
    And he gets Paid to do this .
    Whatta' gig.

24. macabrae_j

macabrae_j Active Member

Steve,

Did you guys ever figure out what that ringing is throughout most of the album? I'm really curious as I've never heard that on any other record I have. I'm so glad that you got to master this album, I'm ordering day one!

25. Steve Hoffman

My ears.

Brownd likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.