Beach Boys Pet Sounds-stereo remix version MFSL SACD SQ

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bill, Dec 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill

Bill Senior Member Thread Starter

At ten versions of this and counting, I'm irrationally tempted to nevertheless spring for this new release. Is it the stereo holy grail at last? We would all benefit from the thoughts on the sound quality from those bold pioneers who have taken the plunge.
    Please, no shipping updates.
    Thanks in advance.

2. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Great idea.

3. sonnysin168

sonnysin168 Forum Resident

I'm interested in comparing the sacd with the dvda stereo mix. If the mofi sacd betters the dvda, I'll get it.

4. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Senior Member

Just remember, if anyone springs for it, they will instantly say its better even though it is from the same 1996 Linnet mix.

kenbefound and Buff Terror like this.
  5. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

Mine hasn't shipped yet.
    :D

Seriously, I have a half dozen versions of this so don't want to buy another, but subscribing to the thread so I can be talked into it...

6. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Its pretty expensive the total is 37.00 or something,It would be nicer having sacd
    even if sounds the same ,The DVD Audio is a nightmare of poorly designed menus

7. sonnysin168

sonnysin168 Forum Resident

I have the 2006 stereo German edition dvda. It's a bit thin sounding but have very good details and I can live with it, but the thought of something better or maybe the definitive version always interests me. The Mofi sacd is currently on my wishlist at musicdirect. I'll greatly appreciate an impartial review before ultimately deciding.

8. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

My MFSL PET SOUNDS Hybrid SACD just arrived. I'll spin it in a couple of days.

What a drag it's not multichannel, but whatev.

I wish someone would release the SURF'S UP multichannel version that was completed but never released ...

Mr. H likes this.
  9. Pureprairie1972

Pureprairie1972 New Member

Just how many Mo-Fi multichannel SACD's are out there? :D

As far as the SURF'S UP multichannel version goes, the band would probably have to sign off on that and that ain't gonna happen.

10. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Sez you.

quicksrt likes this.
  11. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

My copy just showed up also. Probably will listen soon - but I won't be comparing to either the DCC, the AF, the DVD-A, the various CD copies... so there.

I am going to listen and comment - that's it!

12. Pureprairie1972

Pureprairie1972 New Member

Are you willing to bet $100 that the SURF'S UP multichannel version gets released anytime in the next 3 years? :laugh:

13. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Why does the Linnet mix discredit the SACD? I'm no mastering expert, but could MFSL still not offer a new mastering? Also, we should benefit from it being an SACD.

dav-here likes this.
  14. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I've ordered the SACD from Acoustic Sounds, but I don't know when it will ship.

I have the DVD Audio & Sessions box, so it will be interesting to see how it compares.

15. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

I say three cheers for your review technique. I just put them on and listen. The material should make an impression on the listener. There is one's proof in the pudding.

I can remember doing some "reviews" when the SHM-SACDs first starting coming out. I mean -- and you'll remember -- we had hundreds and hundreds of posts on a single item, Steely Dan "Aja" for example. We had Parts One, Two, and yes this thread is continuing on Part Three. That kind of enthusiasm.

And I will recall that my reviews were "impressions" rather than technical-type reviews. It was maybe, "Oh, this song makes me think of New Orleans. I never picked up on that before." Or "Oh, I never really noticed what the drummer was doing; he's mocking the lead singer's lyrics." Or just stuff like that which didn't have anything to do with comments like, "It sounds like the bass is boosted ~3 db at around 100Hz," or any reference to a previous mastering. None of that.

The more offbeat the "review," the better I liked it. I indicated to me that the music was getting through to the listener. That the listener was having a valid and authentic listening experience. It didn't really matter what my or someone else's impressions were. Just that they were either tripping on the music or they weren't.

As to the other, technical reviews -- the files and data comparisons and all that: there will be some who wonder, isn't that what we're doing here? Comparing this new Beach Boys Pet Sounds SACD to previous editions? How will we know if they we to have it if not for someone here telling us it is so. More so, perhaps, if they sprinkle the waters with questions to plant in the listener's mind. But, there are other ways of communicating. Other ways of experiencing this music.

So I'll be looking in on this thread for sure. I am interested in other's opinions. It's fun to share ideas and impressions. But too many backseat drivers and the whole listening experience is out the window. You know -- how's the leather pin tucking? Is there varnish on the wood steering wheel? Is the varnish slick or is it sticky? All that sort of stuff. And by the time a guy gets done with his test drive, his nerves are shot. He has no authentic impressions of his own. He has been listening to the voices inside his head. And this all comes from ego.

Not ego in the sense of mine's bigger than yours. But it is ego nonetheless that constantly probes to differentiate and make judgements. And that will cloud one's experience. It will cloud the sheer experience of perhaps enjoying this album. Well, I hope you enjoy it.

I sold off any and all previous editions of this one. Partly because I had no interest in listening to it at the time. In fact, I think I sold mine off before the MoFi SACD was even announced. So I come to it fresh. I can bathe myself in the experience. And hopefully enjoy just listening and experiencing this album anew.

So please, Mike ... please don't worry about or apologize of sorts for not comparing it to the DCC or AP, the DVD-A or other various editions you are harboring in your man cave. Just let us know if you're tripping on it or not. And if it's danceable music, did you dance?

Mr. H likes this.
  16. GregM

GregM The expanding man

MFSL is just remastering the album, not remixing it.

17. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Good news.

18. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

with so many on this group who prefer the mono version,I was surprised this is even
    a Thread

19. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Just finished listening, and I was very impressed with the quality of the sound. Very balanced, smooth top end with an impressive, tight low end.

As I mentioned, this was listening just to the MOFI, with no comparison to the same mix on either another CD or DVD-Audio disc (both of which I own). Since this is the re-mixed stereo version, I wouldn't even think of comparing it to any of the mono versions (i.e., DCC or AF).

20. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Thanks, Mike. Sounds like another winner from MFSL.

dav-here likes this.
  21. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

I think I'll move this from my cart to my orders soon. I am delighted it was eventually released at all. :righton:

22. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

OK, just ordered one.

23. ramokoff

ramokoff Forum Resident

9?
    2xProkofiev, 2xRavel, Holst, Gershwin, Smetana, Mussorgsky, Cowboy Junkies

24. :(Been waiting since June for Acoustic Sounds to ship my copy of this and I'm still waiting...

25. Drexler_McStyles

Drexler_McStyles Active Member

From MOFI: "Mastered from original first-generation analog stereo mixes by Brian Wilson and Mark Linett."

Is there something that I am missing? Doesnt sound like its from a remix to me...

kenbefound likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.