somebody already bought the Alice Cooper SHM mini lps?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stenway, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stenway

stenway Forum Resident Thread Starter

if yes?

any review of the sound? vs the normal 90s warner or the forever young japan?
    sound better? loud? info please!!!

[​IMG]

thanks

2. Evan442

Evan442 Forum Resident

I got Pretties For You, Easy Action, Love it to Death and Schools Out. They're better than the 90s Warner discs. Never heard the Forever Young versions. I think LITD sounds better than the AF release (more punch in the drums). School's Out just seems to be louder...I think I like the AF release better for that one. I have the other 2 on the way. Most interested in Muscle of Love and Goes to Hell...

3. Evan442

Evan442 Forum Resident

The packaging is stellar. a lot sturdier than I thought, and the sleeves have a nice little plastic sheet inside to slip the disc into to prevent scratching. The panties in Schools Out are a pain in the *** though...but an awesome touch none the less

4. stenway

thank you, I have the gold hoffman cds, hard believe that a mini lp beats that ones, but Im thinking in buy all mini lps

the first 2 are better than the 2008 rhino?

what about dynamic range?

5. Evan442

Evan442 Forum Resident

I haven't heard the 2008 Rhino versions...I'm interested in hearing KILLER and comparing it to the Hoffman disc. The organ on "Hallowed Be My Name" really stands out and has more punch than the Hoffman version...it's definitely louder, sounds like it has more bottom end. I think the Schools Out Hoffman disc has more range than the mini LP. I compared 2 songs off Easy Action to the ones remastered for the 1999 box set and they sound pretty similar

This stuff is definitely miles beyond the 90s Warner discs....I still remember the drop out during the 2nd verse on EIGHTEEN on that disc.

6. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

Nothing says class like a pair of panties in your album sleeve. I've got to get that one.

I did just today order the Billion Dollar Babies and Love it to Death Japan Mini LPs. I thought I would do a quality control check with these two for starters. And maybe take it from there. I have read mixed reviews of Killer by AF but that's another candidate for acquisition. And School's Out rounds out my wish list.

So right now I am in for two: Billion Dollar Babies and Love it to Death. If I think the quality is there, I'll probably proceed to complete my collection with Japan Mini LPs rather than the existing AF offerings of Killer and School's Out.

Anyhow, I will be interested to follow this thread in the meanwhile and would look forward to reading further reviews.

7. Evan442

Evan442 Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to Muscle of Love the most. That's the only one from the Alice Cooper Group that hasn't seen any sort of remastering since the Metal Blade issue in 1990.

The quality of the mini LP packaging is a lot better than expected. The cardboard on each release is really thick and not flimsy

8. stenway

good to hear, you know the last mini lps suffer too the loud war problems... beacuse is the same of usa new masters etc... so good to hear that this ones are good, I have the 3 hoffman golds, and Im looking for the USA warner 90s, so! I can skip that ones and buy the mini lps japan.

is a shame that flush the fashion, dada etc.. dont come in mini too and the greatest hits too (i love the cover art)

9. Mike McMann

Mike McMann Forum Resident

Where did you get that box set stenway. That is gorgeous.

10. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

11. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I always thought Pretties for You was not recorded well--how does this new version sound?

12. stenway

yes sushi is a good seller, I buy and I can trust; obvious he dont talk any about the sound of new releases hehe just sell :D

by example the new Kansas mini lps, are really bad, poor dynamic range etc... he just sell dont say if sound good of not of course

13. stenway

curious too, I dont have the old cds or the 2008 rhino (that actually are the same of the old cds, is just a reissue)

so im curious of the new alice

14. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

Have you ordered any of the Alice Cooper new Japan SHM Mini LPs? I have two coming, due to arrive in a couple of days -- or tomorrow. I can't believe they are overnighting them from Japan to my door. But with the tracking numbers it looks like maybe they are. I do love Fed Ex.

If I get mine before you do (if you ordered any yet) I'll let you know what I think here on this thread. I haven't had any Alice Cooper in the house since back in the day. I won't be comparing them to this or that. But I can put them on and report how they sound regardless of what someone else might think of a previous release.

Meanwhile, I'm eager to read anyone else's reviews. Anyone?

15. Mike McMann

Received Love it to Death, Killer, School's Out and Billion Dollar Babies.
    Love it to Death is fantastic sounding. I have the A/F of the first three listed as well and find the SHM seems to have clearer details throughout the disc. All instruments have more punch to them and are easy to pick out individually and enjoy. I can crank it as well with no pain.
    Just listening to Killer and same thing, beautiful sounding disc. Cooper's vocals are phenomenally clear but not in your face, Neil's drumming detail really shines on both Love it to Death and Killer. Guitars and bass lines are terrific just working together not one on top of the other. The song Killer has never sounded this eerie to me.
    I really like the A/F product, however these will be my go to.
    I'll come back later on School's Out and Billion Dollar Babies, but I can say that these are very much worth having. As for the packaging, every detail that I can remember from the original albums is here. Very well done.

16. jeffreybh

jeffreybh Gunter Gleiben Glauchen Globen

Wow this is great to hear as even better than I expected! I have both boxes on order (first one shipped on the 20th I think so haven't received it yet)

I also own the Audio Fidelity of the first three and think they sound great and assumed they would continue to be my go to versions but I'll have to give these a fair shot for those three titles when the box comes.

As for the packaging, can you confirm that LITD does indeed have the original thumb cover? I was psyched that Audio Fidelity used it but their printing job is was very low quality, cheap paper and printing with fuzzy image. Would be nice to have a high quality mini-LP of the original.

17. Mike McMann

Yes it does have the thumb cover. Killer has the fold out calendar.
    School's Out has the panty and report card. Billion Dollar has the dollar bill, the embossed cover and card perforations.
    Have now listened to School's Out with the same feelings as the first two.
    Blue Turk and Grand Finale are the best I have ever heard these two tracks.

18. rodstone

rodstone Forum Resident

I just received Killer, BDB, School's Out and LITD. I have only listened to Killer so far, but I was disappointed in the sound. To my ears, the EQ is off, with the low frequencies overwhelming the sound. The AF Killer has nice bass but it is not as jacked up and so the overall sound is better IMHO. I will try the others, starting probably with LITD since that one gets the highest marks above. The packaging is great. I am not someone who would automatically favor the sound of the AF in a knee jerk way and I have other CDs where I prefer a new remastering to the DCC or AF version, but, at least on first listen, Killer is not one of them.

19. jeffreybh

jeffreybh Gunter Gleiben Glauchen Globen

:righton:thanks ! Can't wait to get these!

20. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

As a personal point of reference, how would you rank the three AF titles against each other? I say that, cause I think Killer is the best hands down.

21. Evan442

Evan442 Forum Resident

I have the original 1989 Rhino releases. These new ones sound a little better...they weren't recorded that well to begin with. Dennis Dunaways bass stands out a lot more on the mini lps

22. Evan442

Evan442 Forum Resident

I thought the AF releases of Killer and Schools Out were good...but I didn't care for Love it to Death. The mini LP for that is definitely the best it's ever been on CD

23. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Would appreciate comments on BDB and MOL as these are the only two I'm interested in at this time. Thanks!

24. Mike McMann

Played Billion Dollar Babies today and it is the first SHM-CD that I can say did not live up to expectations.

Bass is off the charts on some songs and unfortunately too bright on others.
    Hello Hooray, starts of very nice then the bass takes over.
    Raped and Freezing is much too bright overall.
    Elected is way too busy with the morracus, tambourine or a sound effect taking over the sound and vocals disappearing in the horns.
    Billion Dollar Babies - bass could have been toned down.
    Unfinished Sweet - again all bass
    No More Mister Nice Guy - is back on track and everything works nice together
    Generation Landslide - is gorgeous - acoustic guitars sound perfect.
    Sick Things - not my favourite but well done here.
    Mary-Ann - back to loud - needed to be turned down.
    I Love the Dead - like Generation Landslide, extremely well done.

Overall I like the disc and would rate it as a 7 out of 10. I was hoping it would be the best of these new Alice releases on SHM-CD. There are some disappointments but not enough to say I would not recommend it. The completist for sure will want this mini-sleeve version.
    Should A/F get around to this album I would definitely buy it as well as they have offer a great product. Maybe one day. Until then, this is not an overall bad listen.

25. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Thanks for the review. Sounds like I can stick with the original CD and DVD-A.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.