Gentle Giant - Free Hand and Interview vintage quad mixes to be released!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by blue.monk, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blue.monk

blue.monk Forum Resident Thread Starter

http://www.spincds.com/blog/2011/11...assic-titles-remastered-with-dvd-audio-vinyl/

Both Released February 27th. 2012 "Gentle Giant was born out of the ashes of Simon Dupree & the Big Sound, a successful UK rock and R&B-based outfit led by the Shulman Brothers. In 1970, the brothers founded Gentle Giant. Derek was lead vocalist and played alto sax and bass, Ray sang and played bass & violin, and Phil handled the saxophone and added vocals. Kerry Minnear, on keyboards, came straight from the Royal Academy of Music, and Gary Green became guitarist. John Weathers joined the band in 1972 and was the drummer for these 2 albums"

The CD/DVD format features a recently found 4.1 quad mix - that has never been released before.

2. TheMaestro335

TheMaestro335 Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up! I am all over this. 4.1. I thought Steven Wilson was a part of this?

3. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

When I saw GG in 1977 at the Electric Ballroom in Dallas, the concert was presented with a QUAD sound system ! My friends band, Hands, played warmup for GG.

It was the first show I'd ever attended in QUAD. The sound was bouncing all around the venue. :goodie:

4. Gentle Giant

Gentle Giant Active Member

I can't play quad but a CD/DVD release sounds interesting.

5. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

Great news! This will be interesting for sure!

6. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Very pleased to hear it! I didn't think that we'd ever get to hear these guys in surround and their complex arrangements should benefit from this kind of treatment. Looking forward to hearing a crazy track like Design in quad, but then I'm a rare weirdo who actually prefers the unfairly maligned Interview to Free Hand . . . :hide:

7. Push a chair in my direction!

"Design" rules... almost everything GG in my book!!

8. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I'm in but if only it was Octopuss or In a Glass House.

9. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

I guess I'm a weirdo too, then! :D

10. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

I will definitely be purchasing these two releases!!! "Another Show" would sound great in surround!

11. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Great news!

12. petziman

petziman Well-Known Member

Does anybody have an idea who did the remastering ? It seems to be published by EMI/UK.

By the way to all GG fans here:

I wonder why do you not list all your different GG CD editions on the dynamic range database ? Then it would be easy for everyone to compare the dynamics and find out which remaster was used for which edition.

Peter

13. That would be amazing.

Found out about this in an E-mail from CD Japan.

Attached Files:

14. tagomago

tagomago Original Wrapper

Man, GG is gettin remastered over and over, what are the best sounding versions anyway?

15. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

So these are probably going to be ridiculously expensive, right? SHM = $$$

16. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

Yeah, you're right. Close to 50$. But if you can do without the cardboard and the SHM, then you're set for about 10 pounds each (once the VAT is removed) at the British Amazon.

Can't wait!

17. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

+1000

18. Jimbo1960

Jimbo1960 Forum Resident

ImportCD.com has both discs on sale for $17.49. The same ends three days after the release date. I'll have to put a reminder on my computer.

19. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

im not on the ball im not fixed to play this. do you need a surround sound receiver and 4 speakers, is that all. that can be done on the cheap now days, right. oh wait it isnt redbook i would need a dvd player too right, standard dvd player will do it?

20. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

If there is any hi-rez stereo or surround program on the DVD, you would need a DVD-Audio player in order to hear it.

If there is a Dolby Digital 5.1 (4.1?) down-mix of the hi-res program, you would need an ordinary standard DVD player.

Of course, you would also need a surround sound receiver and 4 speakers.

Hope this helps.

Later, Chris

21. Amazon.co.uk has each for 8.99 british pounds. (Cheapest I've seen anywhere)
    For those in North America (like me) that would mean 19.05 british pounds with shipping included and VAT excluded which equals almost $30.00
    Definitely best to get it from Amazon.co.uk

I already preordered it. Already got the Giant on the Box Deluxe Edition after listening to them for awhile on Progarchives. Can't wait to have some of their albums and in surround sound!! (These will be my first of their albums :goodie:, been waiting for a surround sound release and since they have all the master tapes, I'm guessing they will create some 5.1 mixes for the other albums if these two releases do well.)

22. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

GG

Do any of you know which of their albums have quad mixes other than FH and Interview? In a Glass House is my favorite prog album by a mile.

Does anyone have this remastered Three Friends? If so, can you comment on the sound of it?

http://www.gentlegiantmusic.com/

Thanks in advance,

Scott

23. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

From Burning Shed tonight:

Steve W???

24. No. Includes stereo mix from 2010 remaster

25. Dok

Dok Senior Member

So there is no hi res stereo version??

Thread Status: