Sony BDP-s580 vs. BDP-s570

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joefarrell, Nov 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joefarrell

Joefarrell Forum Resident Thread Starter

I want to put a multi-functional blue-ray player in my family room - one that produces tolerable sound for CD, plays SACD, has wi-fi, stream Netflix, etc. - and is low cost (like under 200). I was reading a few threads here in which the Sony BDP-s570 got love at its low price point. I realize of course that it is not an Oppo and that ideally Oppo would be way to go - but that's 500 bucks or so. I would be using this player in a room that is not my main listening area (playing it through a Yamaha RXV-663), soem Paradigm mini-monitors and some NHT stuff. I am not in a position to drop major cash audio cash in this room. That said, it would be neat to have something that plays SACD. Additionally, the functionality of being able to run my phone in there with a USB is cool too. And for less than 200 bucks (maybe even south of 150) why not. I read some threads here in which folks rendered love (at least at price point) to the BDP-s570. My question - is the BDP-s580 a similar item as far as functions as well as sound to the newer Sony BDP-s580? Does anybody own a 580 or has anybody heard one?

2. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

The S570 is not just good for the price, it is good period. I had a Cambridge DAC Magic and MHDT Labs Paradisea 2 in my system, and I returned the Cambridge because it didn't sound as good as the S570. The Paradisea was a nice sounding DAC, but I couldn't justify the cost vs the S570. Honestly, I wouldn't necessarily say the MHDT was better. And of course neither can play SACD.

I imagine the S580 is pretty similar, but haven't heard it. Unless you plan on using it in a real super-fi system, I wouldn't worry too much about spending more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.