The Shangri-Las Appreciation Thread (official releases only!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by goodiesguy, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me Thread Starter

NOTE:TALK ABOUT OFFICIAL AND LEGAL RELEASES ONLY! i'm sick of this thread getting deleted due to people talking about stuff from questionable sources.

Mods: Please delete any posts that mentions the above, i don't wish for the thread to be deleted once again.

Take 3:

The Shangri-Las are fast becoming one of my favorite girl groups of the sixties.

If your new to them, check them out. They're worth a look.

Pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ramos Pinto

Ramos Pinto New Member

I read from the second thread, it was pretty good.

Perhaps the moderators could see fit to pick the best bits out of the two former threads and fold them into this one.

3. 905

905 Senior Member

Another fan here.

4. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

5. goodiesguy

Some more pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. goodiesguy

So, which ones are still alive? I am unsure to believe wikipedia. It says the two twins are dead. What about the other 2?

7. The Ganser twins are deceased and the Weiss sisters are alive.

8. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Why don't the mods just delete the offending post rather than the whole thread!

Anyway, I still love the Shangri-Las. As I said before, I think I prefer the Shadow Morton stuff to the Spector stuff, in terms of girl groups.

I have an excellent 4cd set issued by Charly of Red Bird, great stuff. Along with the Shangri-Las it also has stuff like Bessie Banks' original Go Now and Evie Sands original of I Can't Let Go.

9. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

great set , shame about the atrocious sound and cheap packaging of course ( but low retail price so i guess its ok )
    just compare the sound on this with the Sundazed Daisy/ Tiger story

10. ronton99

ronton99 Forum Resident

Sure, I will post for the third time on this topic because I love them so much... Surely we can find a way to preserve one Shangri-Las thread???

I just found that I have some vinyl repressings on Line Records - probably from the 70s? It says licensed from Charlie records on the back.

It seemed to me that the vinyl of "Shangri-Las 65" was smoother and less shrill than the CD version from Charlie that I have, so I was very happy to find them tucked away in my stacks.

Does anyone know anything about these vinyl reissues?

11. RevUp64

RevUp64 Forum Resident

I've always been a fan. There was a pre-broadcast viewing in New York of a rough cut for some Brill Building TV special, ten years ago or so, I'd say, and I was in the audience, sitting behind Mary. After the film had been shown, a fan ran up to her, practically hyperventilating, and screeched "Oh my god, I thought you were dead!" Mary took it in stride, smiled, opened her arms wide, as though to say "Ta da!"

12. Steve E.

Steve E. Doc Wurly and Chief Lathe Troll

Seriously. That was getting into good stuff. I thought Mylene's discovery that the "hit" versions of "Leader of the Pack" were different edits in different countries was especially interesting.

So yes, let it be said, for the record, that after the motorcycle crash, there are four bars before the final verse on the US single, and on some others, like the New Zealand version, there are only two. Everyone seems to feel that the version that was a hit in their country is the "real" hit version. I feel the pacing is better on the 4 bar version---it takes time to recover from seeing your boyfriend die horrifically. Give her a couple extra seconds!

There was also a lot of detailed talk about mono vs stereo versions, and WHY the stereos are perceived as especially bad for this group.

I also talked about why the music is so weirdly compelling.

It's a shame. I spent a bunch of time out of my day writing that stuff, and others did, too. I request that the gorts please take the time out and edit the bad posts.

This topic is a bit of a landmine, because it's not always clear WHICH stuff is legit and not legit, especially in the European releases. Is the RPM stuff legit? I don't know! It's being marketed as such. I mentioned an old LP that Mary signed in 2007 but grumbled about. I bought that from a totally legit mail order source in the 1980s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.