Pink Floyd "Wish You Were Here": 2011 Remaster vs. 2011 SACD Redbook

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jason Manley, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member Thread Starter

Title says it all. Just seeking opinions for those that are still undecided and perhaps the redbook layer is a deciding point for them on the SACD.

2011 Remaster (available in as a single disc, Experience 2CD or Immersion Box):

[​IMG]

2011 SACD Redbook layer (available, of course, on the SACD version only)

[​IMG]

2. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

arent they exactly the same?
    i dont have the sacd...

3. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Didn't someone post waveforms of each on another thread? IIRC, there was some slight clipping on the EMI but not on the SACD redbook and they may have been different remasters as the waveforms look different? Can anyone confirm?

4. Jason Manley

Waveforms, as requested. "Welcome to the Machine"

2011 Remaster:

[​IMG]

2011 SACD Redbook Layer:

[​IMG]

5. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Based on a cursory look at the waveforms - doesn't it seem like the remaster has more dynamic range?

6. Jason Manley

It does and to my ears it sounds better.

7. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Like I said elsewhere, can someone do a real comparison? The waveforms aren't a good example - they change 'shape' because of scaling with as little as one sample offset.

8. vkamicht

vkamicht Forum Resident

This, and they change their "shape" even more because one of them has the polarity reversed from the other.

9. Blu Falcon

Blu Falcon New Member

I have both. Listened to both. Compared both. And also compared them to the other redbook CDs I have. The SACD redbook layer trumps them all. My ears, my opinion of course.

It would be nice if people who voted chimed in and actually state that they own both, or at least heard and A/B'd both, rather than vote on which one they have without having heard the other.

10. No, it doesn't. Looking at these pictures it looks like it's the other way around. The 2011 remaster's peaks come closer to 0 dB than the ones on the SACD redbook layer. Since both peak at maximum level the 2011 remaster seems less dynamic. The difference is very slight though, and like other people have mentioned wavforms can change shape easily. I'd take these pictures with a pinch of salt.

11. Blu Falcon

Blu Falcon New Member

Okay. Nevermind. I actually looked at the bottom wave form and thought it was the remaster.

12. Rock Slag

Rock Slag New Member

The DR values and EAC peaks differ between the 2. The redbook on the SACD has more dynamic range on 3 tracks, 1,3,4 . The SACD redbook on my playback equipment is superior.

13. Newport

Newport New Member

Yes the details can be found in the main SACD thread, and your experience matches my findings.

14. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

If you have an SACD player why would you play the redbook layer? If you don't have an SACD player, why would you buy the SACD?

however, if you don't have an SACD player yet, go out and get one! They can cost less than the Immersion box set.

15. Blu Falcon

Blu Falcon New Member

My primary system has SACD playback and surround capability. I do not have SACD capability on my secondary 2 ch stereo system, which is in another part of the house. I'm assuming others, like me, appreciate the ability to be able to play the redbook layer on a different system, in a vehicle, office computer, at a friends house, rip .wav files for iPod, etc.

Why not buy a SACD? Especially if it's a hybrid? You might decide to buy a SACD player later and there you have it.

16. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

If you don't have an SACD player, then you are looking for the best-sounding CD. Why not buy the SACD and give the CD layer a shot?

17. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Cause it is a good rip for a Ipod and playback on a regular cd setup. Some have more than one system and not a SACD player in every setup.

Having the SACD as others have pointed out is win win. You get the best of both worlds with a Hybrid disc.

18. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I reversed the polarity of the neutron flow, and the SACD wins.

19. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I have different systems but not all of them are SACD capable.

I'm also tempted to pick up the Immersion box set if the mastering is as good as the SACD (I've not delved into the redbook layers of the SACD yet).

That must be a heck of a system you have over there! :eek:

20. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Thanks! for comparing these discs!

21. Jason Manley

You're welcome.

:thumbsup:

22. Jason Manley

I must say though, I am a little baffled by the results. People love the SACD layer which was mastered by James Guthrie but prefer the SACD redbook layer which was mastered by Gus Skinas rather than the standard 2011 Remaster that was done, also, by James Guthrie?

I may be a man alone in a field but I really like the 2011 Remaster, go figure. It is now my favorite disc of WYWH. That includes the Mastersound, 2000 Capitol/EMI and SACD redbook layer.

Sounds terrific...and it's only 11 bucks at your local store. :)

:shh:

23. zbinks

zbinks Forum Resident

Technically Gus Skinas is given credit for SACD authoring while James Guthrie is given credit for the mastering.

24. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

These 2 appear to have opposite absolute phase. Take care with visual comparisons.
    ***Sorry - should have read the whole thread before jumping in with my own observations***

25. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Well thank goodness someone has a sonic screwdriver on hand to do this! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.