Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick 40th Anniversary Special Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joepepitone, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joepepitone

joepepitone Forum Resident Thread Starter

So I'm wondering what besides the title track, everybody is hoping is included with the 40 year TAAB collection. I've always wondered if there are any alternate TAAB takes.

Cabin_Essence likes this.
  2. I don't know about alternate takes, but I doubt there are any bonus songs left over from the session. I would love to be proven wrong. The live medleys from the 77 and 78 tours are pretty great, but already available. No soundboard recordings from the 72 and 73 tours are known to exist. I will get the disk in 5.1 and remixed 2.0 and will be happy with that.

3. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

What would be nice but I doubt it will be included would be a foldout of the complete original LP "newspaper" as previous CD versions leave quite a bit out. You'd probably still need a magnifying glass to read it for the whole thing to fit in though.

4. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

It would be great if the second disc contained a complete live performance of TAAB. I would think there has to be something in the vaults that we might not know about.

5. Tangledupinblue

Especially if it was a DVD with them performing in all that crazy fancy dress.

The Pinhead and Tullman like this.
  6. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

It's an interesting question. For almost every other JT album, there's a lot of good bonus material to choose from from the period, but I'm honestly not aware of too much from the Brick days. Hopefully, this will lead to a leaner, more affordable package. I'm mainly interested in the 5.1 mix here.

7. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I'd be really interested in what unheard material from this project lies in the vaults, perhaps some acoustic demos, at least.

8. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

The only new remasters should be Aqualung and Broadsword because they were tulls most busy years in the studio

9. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

The 25th Anniversary deluxe edition had the complete newspaper I think. Sounds pretty good too and has a live truncated version as well.

10. Tangledupinblue

There's still some content missing from it though, like the joke crossword and Radio and TV listings.

At least I have the album on vinyl which I ordered recently from Amazon marketplace; sadly although listenable the seller had clearly worn it out but I bought it mainly for the cover so I'm not too bothered.

11. dreambear

dreambear Forum Resident

Perhaps it will include a live version from Ian Andersons solo tour in 2012?

//bJÖRN

12. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Well, we do know both the new stereo and 5.1 mixes are done by S. Wilson :righton:

What I'd love to have on the extras is:

- Full 1972 concert
    - Full newspaper reproduction
    - Outtakes, live footage, interviews from the time

:wave:

13. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

interviews on cds anyways ruin it for me...keep 'em in print only.

14. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Web link would be good. I don't like these either, but listening once or twice is fine. They're a pain on a CD.

15. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I've always preferred this album to Aqualung. I welcome a deluxe edition with bonus material with open arms and greedy paws.

I love the interview on the remaster. Always entertaining to listen to.

16. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Ah...well maybe they'll do something completely different and include a 5.1 interview. :)

17. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Please no, at least not at the expense of a vintage performance.

18. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Sorry, I meant DVD :wave:

Yes, I agree. Interviews on CDs are wasted disc space, IMHO. But on DVD they're really cool, specially if they are insightful and with instruments demostrations :agree:

19. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

+1

20. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

21. Apparently no soundboard recordings from the original tour exist, so let's hope there's a few studio outtakes and demoes out there. I wouldn't mind a "classic albums" style documentary on DVD either with Steven Wilson and Ian Anderson going through the multitracks.

22. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I've got a soundboard recording from Oct 70 where they do some of the Aqualung material. It is 100% uncirculated as it was taken from our private collection from sound jobs.

Just listening now and they're doing My God saying 'it will probably be from their next album in an abbreviated form'.

For those that are interested, this show was from the San Bernardino Swing Auditorium, Oct 22, 1970.

23. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

There have been a few shows released from 1970 (Isle Of Wight and Carnegie Hall) but I imagine many Tull fans would love to hear this recording anyway.

24. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Isn't that the show that was on side two of the "My God!" boot (which came out before Aqualung?) He does say that in the intro. But that was of course not the full show.

25. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I haven't heard that, but this was from the PA mix. I doubt anybody else would have this, but it's possible that there could be an audience recording from the show. The version of My God is over 11 minutes long.

This recording is nothing special. It sounds fine sonically but as it is a PA mix it doesn't have a lot of guitar in it, as the guitar was loud in the room, though you can clearly hear everything Barre plays. In the middle of My God, Ian goes into a flute/vocal solo where he does a bit of 'Camptown Races'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.