Jethro Tull - Aqualung 40th Anniversary Special Edition (part2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Nov 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

2. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

3. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Damn, I am dying to get this (the 2 CD version) after reading all the rave reviews of the remix. Saw the 2 CD version in my local record store just this afternoon and would have bought it if I hadn't already ordered it through CDWOW. Wish I knew how long it is going to be backordered....

4. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

I'm really enjoying my 2CD version :righton:

How I wish Steve Wilson would have been around for Genesis reissues :(

5. WPLJ

WPLJ Forum Resident

Sampling the stream now. Still marveling at the outtakes ... haven't even gotten to the remixed album proper! ;)

6. power popper

power popper Forum Resident

Just popped my head in this thread for the first time in ages to read all the reactions to the new set, as I knew it came out this week. I saw the two-CD set in Best Buy yesterday and wondered what those who plunked down the serious money for the big box thought of it. I guess I know the answer now. Glad most of you (minus those with scratched vinyl copies) are so thrilled.

To be honest, I'd never listened to Aqualung all the way through before, knowing its history of murky sound. That knowledge kept me from purchasing the 25th anniversary CD many years ago. I tried to grab the DCC disc before it sold out, but I was too late. Now I've heard the new mix via the current streaming, and in a sense I'm glad I waited all these years for this new remix. The tunes I knew were fantastic listens, and the remainder were full of life. "Wind-Up," in particular, was revelatory to me, perhaps the best Tull I've ever heard. The new two-CD edition has gone from "probable" to "definite" on my purchase list.

7. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

A record company listened to the consumers who took the time to contact it and the consumers end up happy. This thread (and part one) is a must-read for the companies and the consumers.

8. Well.....I can't say I was listened to by the record company as I suggested they keep the vinyl separate from the cds which would have lowered the box price considerably. I bought the 2 disk set which was reasonably priced but chose to skip the multi-channel release because of the price of the bundled box set. Those of us who gave up vinyl years ago (or others with no interest in vinyl) were not well served by the deluxe box. The 2 disk set is very good and a fine value, but I am sorry they chose to market the multi-channel mix the way they did.

9. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

While I would have liked to have a vinyl only option--especially after reading the liner notes indicating the transfer was at 24/96, I agree with Hawthorne, in the sense that Wilson seemed to undertake this project with an ear toward the audiophile. I picked up the 2cd set this afternoon and am enjoying a wonderfully wide dynamic range, revelatory new mix, and a great set of alt versions and extras. Well done, EMI.

10. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

After listening to the 2cd set three times already today, I think my only choice now is to sell my DCC disc and buy the box with the proceeds. Or is anyone up for a straight trade? ;-)

11. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

That's right!

I'm so glad that the original superior Quad mix is included in this set. So everyone including myself can hear that one at it's very finest.

They could have easily just said that they felt it (Quadraphonic) was done for stone-age technology, it works nicely as a stereo fold-down, but has no place in the 21st Century. Or saved it for another decade's box set ten years from now.

But like the DSOTM and WYWH Imersion sets, the realize that a sizable audience knows and loves those 70s Quad mixes, and often prefers them. It has been a long time coming.

They are finally just pulling out all the tapes, doing them at high resolution & remixing, and handing over the goods. It's pricey sure, but if you look at it with inflation considered, and what dollars are worth now compared to 10 or 15 years ago, these sets are not that badly priced for what you are getting.

12. wavelength

wavelength Forum Resident

Keep spreading the news. Thanks LH!

13. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I am still wondering about all of that real loud noise on the flat transfer of the original two-track master tape that is found on the Blu Ray. I have made several comments about this over the last week, and nobody else has commented on it.

14. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

+1. Love the remix. Sounds like a vintage mix, only better. Finally, a producer who gets it.

15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Where is it stated that this is a flat transfer? That part I am not aware of.

If you are incorrect on that point, this could be one reason no one else has followed up on your post.

16. VinylNutz

VinylNutz Active Member

I got this on Friday but have only had a chance to listen to the vinyl on my system but have both the CDs on my ipod as MP3 which sound great for this album and the bonus material is pleasure to listen too. The new stereo mix on vinyl is fantastic. Steve Wilson did a great job on this one. I'm curious to compare it with the two disc 45 Classic set I have but I suspect this new mix kicks far more of a punch with wider dynamic range. Finally Clive Bunker's drum kit has some balls to it and the bass is wonderful. Its too bad the album wasn't originally mixed like this in 1971.

17. VinylNutz

VinylNutz Active Member

And it doesn't sound wonky like the MFSL.

18. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Point taken. I shared this viewpoint, but now that the price is down to $75 at import, after reading all the rave reviews, I think I'm ready to take the plunge on this baby. I do wish that they'd leave out the vinyl and shoot for a more affordable product on Thick as a Brick (but they must include the full newspaper!), maybe something in the $50-$60 range, but I have to give the label props for listening fans and coming up with a first rate product here.

19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Ok, ignorant question time. I have no idea about quadrophonic sound. I am intrigued by the Pink Floyd and now this Aqualung set coming out in quad. Here is my question:

Can one listen to quad mixes on a stereo system?
    I though one had to have some special quad playback to do so. Sorry, Ive heard the term quadrophonic sound for many years but I have zero understanding of what exactly it is.

Another less important question...

Also, what do you guys think? This set going to devalue those DCC Aqualungs and Classic 45s?

20. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Keep in mind that some are paying 60 bucks for a single SHM cd?! :D This is quite the package and you won't be dissatisfied!

21. These are exactly the same consumers I wish the record companies would not listen to.:D How would buying a box set that includes product in a format I can't utilize not disappoint me?

You are satisfied with the 2 disk set, which I also like, but you seem perfectly content to skip the multi-channel mixes, whereas I am disappointed they are only available to those who pony-up $75+. Hawthorne talked about the record companies listening to consumers.
    If we took a poll at this site, what % of the responding members prefer bundling vinyl with digital product? Is Robert Fripp the only guy who cares about giving the consumer first rate product in a package designed intelligently (and priced reasonably)? I picked up the 40th Anniversary of "In The Wake of Poseidon" a 2 disk set that includes the lossless 2 channel remix, a new 5.1 lossless mix, the original 2 channel mix plus lots of bonus tracks on a DVD-A plus a CD with the new 2 channel mix plus bonus tracks all for $20. This should be a model on how to do it right. Feel free to substitute a Bluray disk for the DVD-A if that floats your boat.

22. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

It says it both in the notes and on the menu itself. This has been talked about repeatedly, and it was one of the selling points of the set in my opinion.

23. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

http://www.thevinyldistrict.com/newyork/2011/11/remasterbation-jethro-tulls-aqualung/
    [​IMG]

24. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

I hope so, if only to finally get a copy of a reasonably priced DCC :), but I doubt it will drop too far... I suspect it will remain in the triple digits :(.

25. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

The blu-ray is awesome. Thank you Steven Wilson.
    A W E S O M E !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.