The Beach Boys original SMiLE to be released on CD and vinyl LP...(part 12)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Oct 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

2. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

3. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

The 27-track CD sampler is already on eBay...

4. Ken.W

Ken.W High Potentate of Lurve

Yeah, I've spotted it a couple of hours back .. crazy money though .. the guy selling it'll make enough money to buy the boxset outright.

5. olsen

olsen Senior Member

Yo!

(just inviting myself to the party..)

6. Bellagio

Bellagio Forum Resident

7. thecrokid

thecrokid Active Member

8. bikemore

bikemore Member

9. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

I wonder if Target or Best Buy will have any specials or exclusives for the SMiLE release. I would think either store would carry at least the 2 CD version...

10. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

yo yo mama

11. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

Posted on the Beach Boys Facebook page 30 mins ago...

12. Marzipan

Marzipan Forum Resident

Well darnitt, I don't get off work until 6pm in Hollywood and wouldn't get to LBC until at least 8. Plus I already preordered the box from Amazon.com. If I could just get Brian's and Van Dyke's (friend of a friend) autographs on it, though.... WOW. Those are the only two I'd want on it.

13. bob2935

bob2935 Active Member

I haven't bothered posting in any of these threads because I said my piece on SMiLE years ago on other forums. But can someone tell me why H & V "Mission Pak" is titled as such. Wasn't Mission Pak a sote or a product?

Also, it seems like the common acetate version of Barnyard with full backing vocals and animal sounds may not be available on the box. At least it seems that way from the samples. Definitely looking forward to the box though since I preordered it months ago.
    Bob.

14. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

15. Jason Manley

Brian = light
    Phil = darkness

I've kind of long felt like that way. That Brian took the Wrecking Crew and used it to project not only the sound that was in his head (born of Spector) but also the love he wished he himself could feel.

The 20th Century was fortunate to have both men but we were VERY lucky to have Brian Wilson.

16. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Find out what they're selling the box for, and if it sounds good, cancel the preorder and call in sick! :righton:

17. Marzipan

Marzipan Forum Resident

"I'm going to harbor a guess that the standalone LP uses it's inner sleeves to give the buyer further session info, while the one in the box is probably arty, like mid-60's Capitol record replicas. This is just my guess."

The Smile Unboxing Youtube clip says '2 Lps in gatefold artwork featuring the proposed original album tracklisting and session outtakes'
    What does this video mean by 'original album tracklisting'?
    If I had my wish, it would mean that the LP (from the box) will have the zodiac signs, incorrect playing order image on the back, and the Frank Holmes DaDa style art on the insdie sleeves. Do the SMiLE scholars have a name for those pieces of art? I've mainly only seen them in b/w, but would great to have them in gatefold color!

And will the 'booklet created in 1967 for the original album release' fit inside the vinyl, or just the box set box, do you think?

Finally, how those CD's gonna fit inside that 'folder'?

I'm a vinyl & CD man, so this is all so doubly exciting...

18. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

19. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Yes, I would think it's a poorly worded way of saying the back of the LP jacket will have the list of 12-songs and the zodiac signs.

Without rewatching the video, I think it clearly states that the book is 10.5 x 10.5 or something.. so yes, it should fit in there if you want it to.

This review beats the one further up this page. You can tell this guy actually played the CDs.

20. Jason Manley

Any word on if BBC Radio 6 will produce a "Record Producers: Brian Wilson"? Sure would love it to go with the Pink Floyd one from a month ago... would be badass.

21. rinso white

rinso white Pale Fire

Man, those reviews really have me champing at the bit!

22. AardvarkExpress

AardvarkExpress Well-Known Member

Seems like Brian is the only member of the group actively promoting this release... which sort of makes sense. It's his brainchild.

But it is a "Beach Boys" release. And it might just be their most significant archival release ever... or at least since the 1993 box set. Mike and Al co-own BRI with Carl's estate and Brian, so they all have a financial interest in the success of this release. Mike also has songwriter royalties on "Good Vibrations." When are the other guys going to suck it up and start hawking this thing??

23. ESQEditor

ESQEditor New Member

24. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

I'm having a "flashback"...

25. Sammy Banderas

Sammy Banderas Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.