The Smiths - Complete box set coming from Rhino in October (part2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Oct 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

2. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

My box, #448, showed up via DHL from Amazon.ca. It wasn't packed that well, as it slid around in the larger cardboard outer box (which just had some brown paper inside for some "protection"), but it came undamaged.

I have the 4 Rhino vinyl re-issues that came out a year or two ago (can't remember exactly when), and the vinyl issues that came in the box to match those 4 seem to be different cuts. Not sure if the mastering that was used was the same, but the etchings in the deadwax on the new vinyl is different from those 4 "older" issues. The older Rhino vinyl had plastic lined inner sleeves, with the "original" inner sleeve separate. The new vinyl doesn't have plastic lined inner sleeves, as the record is placed in the "actual" inner sleeve.

Not sure what to listen to first, but will get to something real soon.

I'm glad I was able to get a copy of this box at the excellent price offered by Amazon.ca (otherwise I probably wouldn't have purchased the set), yet, and I truly mean this, I'm perturbed by the fact that people who ordered before me in August, etc (since I only ordered this last week), may not get their copy.

Let's hope Amazon.ca can come through for all those that went into "shipping soon" status.

3. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

x2 -- I'm not one of those people (I ordered last week) but Amazon.ca should make sure that every August order goes through, imo. I hope all the August orders here on the forum got theirs already, or at least had a shipping notification.

4. Carl Hoffmann

Carl Hoffmann Senior Member

I'm glad I was able to get a copy of this box at the excellent price offered by Amazon.ca (otherwise I probably wouldn't have purchased the set), yet, and I truly mean this, I'm perturbed by the fact that people who ordered before me in August, etc (since I only ordered this last week), may not get their copy.

Let's hope Amazon.ca can come through for all those that went into "shipping soon" status.

right-on :righton:

5. sf74

sf74 Active Member

Just a heads up, I know someone else had mentioned not getting a "Your Order Has Shipped" email but got their box. For my two orders, I got a shipping email for the first order yesterday and the shipping email for the second order this morning. Both weren't scheduled to arrive until Nov 1st but I got both of them today.

Also, only one of the orders were charged to my card.

What I'm saying is that your order might have already shipped and on it's way but Amazon's systems might now have sent out your "Shipped" email yet.

6. jackfate9

jackfate9 Forum Resident

Got my box today (2 days early according to their tracking.) One slightly dinged corner but otherwise in nice shape.
    Listened to a couple of the albums but the 45s seem to sound best. Maybe because I was working I wasn't paying attention close enough earlier. But overall lovin' it!

7. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

My wife telephoned me to say mine has arrived. DHL wanted €27 customs duty which she paid.

Can't wait to get home later and see it.

8. Colgin

Colgin Forum Resident

I just received notification from DHL and my apartment building that the box has arrived. Will look forward to opening it up this evening.

Will have to wait until after my 2-year old has gone to sleep so that none of the vinyl gets bent in half.:)

9. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Ooch, ouch.

10. Carl Hoffmann

Carl Hoffmann Senior Member

Mine arrived today. I think I may have thrown out my back when the DHL guy handed to me. This thing is the most ridiculously HEAVY hunk of recorded music gear I have ever purchased.....cool. Hope the sound matches the weight. If not I can use it in the trunk of my car for the upcoming winter snow storms :D

11. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

Now that more posters are receiving their boxes I'm looking forward to more discussion of the actual contents of the box as well as sound quality.

I compared the earlier Rhino QID LP to the new LP last night and I'm hard pressed to hear any discernible difference. Did the same with some of the new 45s vs. the original 45s/EPs. Levels (i.e. overall loudness) seemed the same to me. Thought maybe they goosed the bass a bit, but still close. Would love to hear an opinion from someone with better ears than mine.

I think the new LPs sound great. I'll have to get around to comparing with the originals on the weekend. I think the missus is a bit Smiths-ed out!

12. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

Well it looks great. A thing of beauty. I'll take some photographs but probably best wait for natural light at the weekend.

Is there supposed to be a download code?

13. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Yes, I thought they advertised that there would be but I haven't heard anyone mention it... maybe we're both remembering wrong?

14. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

There is. It's on a little piece of paper. Easy to miss. I have downloaded it all (you have to do each single/album at a time) and no problems. You can also download some videos but I didn't bother with them.

The good thing about the downloads is that it obviously gives you digital versions of the single only tracks.

15. hutlock

Can you report on format/quality of the downloads, Jim? 320 MP3? FLAC?

16. Mistermono

Albums = 320
    Singles = 192

At least one friend who got the set has reported the download card missing.

Word is they made a hash of the MP3s, with some (from the singles I believe) coming from the Sound of the Smiths remaster (at least that is how they are tagged).

17. hutlock

320 is acceptable (though not ideal), but 192 for the singles? Geez.

18. In-Absentia

In-Absentia Forum Resident

Phew. The deluxe set arrived about an hour ago and it looks excellent. Light corner ding on one side but nothing major. I really hope all who ordered gets their set, especially those who ordered back in August.

19. jackfate9

jackfate9 Forum Resident

Hi all - Does anybody have a good link to decent quality artwork for the singles? The MP3 doesn't seem to include any artwork.

20. sf74

sf74 Active Member

21. jackfate9

jackfate9 Forum Resident

22. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

I did not get a downloadcode.

23. In-Absentia

In-Absentia Forum Resident

I have yet to look through the entire box thoroughly, but I did not see a download code either. To those who have it, where was the code located? Thanks.

24. jackfate9

jackfate9 Forum Resident

There is a nice looking red card that has a picture of the box cover, and it has the code on it. Mine was right on top, can't remember whether it was the singles or cd area. But mine was UK version I believe, maybe US style was different.

25. Mistermono

Mine was on top of the CDs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.