Amazon Introduces new Vinyl Packaging

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by JBryan, Oct 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBryan

JBryan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah....?

"Vinyl lovers rejoice! We've listened to your feedback, and have created new vinyl-specific packaging to ensure that your vinyl purchases make it to you in the best possible condition. Find out more about why we've made the change, hear what our customers are saying, learn more about our packaging design and adoption process, and order vinyl sold by Amazon.com with confidence"...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1324503742&pf_rd_i=372989011

2. KipB

KipB Forum Resident

They shipped my Hendrix "In the West" 2-lp set in new vinyl specific packaging a couple of weeks ago. Thumbs up! Arrived in perfect shape.

3. Jake!

Jake! Active Member

Ive been getting them for months.

4. JBryan

..."This new packaging can accommodate up to a double-disc vinyl record, and all single and double-disc records are put into them immediately upon receipt in our warehouses, ensuring that they remain safe and secure during their entire stay in our facilities. Albums with more than two discs will be carefully packaged in standard Amazon packaging. Amazon's new vinyl packaging is only used on records sold by Amazon.com, and does not include records sold by third parties whether or not they are fulfilled by Amazon.com."

So box sets will still show up in a big box with pillows (hopefully). Oh well, at least they are trying. I personally have never had a problem with my orders but that's probably because of my proximity to the warehouses (one is 90 miles N in PA, the other is 20 miles S in MD). Most LPs from A'zon show up the day after I order them and all have arrived w/o damage. They say the LPs will be placed in the new packaging upon arrival at the warehouse so I wonder what they'll do if I were to order say, 6 separate LPs at once. Maybe the best packaging...ever! :nyah:

5. JBryan

I guess I haven't had the opportunity to order a single LP in a while from A'zon. The Hendrix 'Live at Winterland' Box was the last vinyl they sent and it showed up in the usual. Maybe I'll order Tom Waits' new LP so I can check out the new, improved packaging.

6. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I only Amazon UK would shange the way the ship digipacks:cheers:

7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Well, this will make things a helluva lot easier and cheaper, since their prices are usually the lowest, plus I'm a Prime member.

I'll have to give it a go now.

8. sirmikael

sirmikael Forum Resident

Amazon has been shipping my vinyl in this packaging since around April, and I've never had one LP damaged or dinged in shipping since they started this method. :righton:

9. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

If they all come from the same warehouse, you'll get a larger Amazon box with all of them in the separate new packaging inside.

At least so far ....

10. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

My first experience was with the new Alice Cooper 2-LP set I received last week and I must say, it's a big step up. The corners were perfect.

11. jedilips00

jedilips00 non-exist-ent

I pretty much order all of my new vinyl from Amazon since I went Prime early this year - I was one of the many I'm sure who complained about the large boxes they used to ship in. Glad to see they made the change - they'll get all of my business from now on, if they keep it up.

12. sirmikael

sirmikael Forum Resident

I also complained quite a bit about the old shipping methods, and I got a few "we don't sell enough vinyl to care" (to paraphrase) emails, but they've seen the light.

I used to ship stuff back or get refunds, and I'm guessing enough other customers did the same - and there is no way Amazon was going to keep selling items that would get returned/refunded due to packaging.

13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

What's funny now is...when I tried to duplicate albums from other wish lists (Acoustic Sounds, Soundstage Direct, etc.) Amazon only had one title.

:laugh: after all that.

14. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I don't think the margins are all that high on these audiophile reissues that they care too much to carry them (just based off what I have gathered speaking to local record store owners). The few that I see them carrying are usually $2-5 more than the outfitters you named. But amazon sometimes still ends up cheaper since only ElusiveDisc and SoundstageDirect offer media mail.

15. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

Yes I've had a few of these LP mailers now. Far better than the empty box full of bubbles. It must reduce their costs by a fair bit as less packaging materials are ultimately used.

16. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Are they still using good
    packaging for vinyl ?

17. imarcq

Er I had a nasty experience recently with the usual empty box with bubbles. Then when they sent a replacement they used a GIANT LP mailer which did the trick. so I think it's the luck of the draw!

18. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

They were stating "frustration free"
    packaging a while back , i don't see that now on listings

19. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Better in some ways for sure. The mailer now seems to be to tight especially for those gatefold covers. SoundStage direct to me has their act together when mailing these beauties out. Perfect blemish free copies when they arrive.

20. imarcq

It meant that you get the frustration for free!

21. Seth

Seth Forum Resident

22. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.