Newk's Time on 45rpm Musicmattersjazz issue ...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michel Jazz, Oct 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michel Jazz

Michel Jazz Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi guys,

Today I received the second shipment for my Musicmattersjazz 45rpm Blue Note's. 30 albums in a row: the latest 8 released albums and 22 other ones.
    That brings the total around 56 albums (almost there..)
    I was really looking forward to my favorite (see avatar) Blue Note Sax-player's album; Newk's Time. I knew that Sony "humped" around while recording and it was not easy to get it all properly on record... 'The Surrey with the Fringe on Top' was the song that made the guys sweat while remastering for 45rpm MM.
    So this was the first album I needed to play...
    I started with 'Tune Up' ... wow great sound !
    But then suddenly somwhere in the middle when the bass player get a few seconds for his solo, whop left speaker almost dead ??? a few seconds later it worked again, I really thought it was a technical defect on my speakers/ cartridge or amplifier. Really weird feeling. I did replayed the part again and it was exactly the same, it wasn't my gear thats for sure.
    Same thing for 'the Surrey w t Fringe' tune
    Do I have a bad copy or is this the 'issue' for Newk's Time...?
    If its not a bad copy then I would say; Steve & Kevin you better skipped this album.... The Sax sounds indeed really great but the left channel dropping almost dead... weird.

2. porcupine71

porcupine71 Forum Resident

I just wanted to say that the same thing happened on my copy of this album too. Did anybody else have a problem with this album where one side cuts in and out? Was it just how it was recorded?

3. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.