Fringe - FOX TV sci-fi/drama (part2)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MilesSmiles, Oct 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, didn't they hack off his legs and mutilate him when he beamed over (to make him the same weight as the kidnapped kid)? Both versions of Broyles seem to be fine now.

I think Baldo's got a lot of 'splainin' to do...

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Update: the ratings ain't so good...

Fringe (1.2/4, 3.1 million viewers) was down 20% from its low season premiere last week. Granted the series grows some 50% in DVR viewing, this is still a very low base to start from, making it unlikely that the sci-fi drama can cheat cancellation one more time.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/10/rat...es-steady-as-all-friday-scripted-series-drop/

And Charlie's Angels and Playboy Club are already tanking. Strange TV season this year.

4. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Forum Curmudgeon

Well, Playboy Club has had "cancel me" written all over it from the beginning. It's a shame about Fringe. I can't help but think if it were allowed to remain on Tuesday nights how well it'd be doing right now. Still, Friday night is not an automatic death sentence. Blue Bloods has grown into its Friday night slot quite well.

5. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

Saw the season premiere with my son. Still a good show, we think, and beats the cra* out of terra nova

They gave this a full season order, right? So they've got c. 20 eps to wrap thing up. Hope they do it well...

6. jukin

jukin Forum Resident

I remember a few years ago when there wasn't enough time in a week to watch all the drama shows I wanted to, now there's only three shows I have any real interest in - Fringe, Supernatural and Person Of Interest. House has gone...bleh, Prison Break, Lost, 24, Invasion have all gone. American Horror Story looks like it could be interesting so will have to wait and see. Fringe is still my favorite show of the remaining bunch but with it and Supernatural likely in their last seasons, the future don't look too bright.

7. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

There is a philosophical saying which says that populations get the society that they deserve, I think the same is true when it come to entertainment. TV guide had a list of last weeks top ten TV programs which included DVR watching. There was one drama (NCIS - crime drama), two sitcoms (1/2 hour programs) and the Emmy Awards. The other six fell into one of three categories: talent search programs, so called reality programs and so called investigative reporting programs. Next week I expect the Emmy's to be replaced in the list by 2.5 Men (the Charlie is out and Aston in hype really helped their ratings). Now the 6 programs that fall into the three categories I listed are noticeably cheaper to produce than programs that require real actors. So if the viewing public is not only willing to watch that crap but actually demands it can you blame the networks for producing it.

People who want to watch real drama that requires concentration and real thought on the part of the viewer are a minority in today's world. :sigh:

8. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

I agree with your there. After reading/seeing some of the hype about Terra Nova, I watched the encore airing of the premier episode. I did not like it and probably won't watch again. Fringe is off to a slightly slow start this season but it is still my favorite program and deserves better placement than Friday night.

DubstepKing likes this.
  9. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

The episode this past week did not move the story arc along at all, but I did enjoy them using the 2 worlds as a means to tell a really good story.

10. chuckgp

chuckgp Active Member

Pete's back

11. Tony Plachy

It looks like the fun starts next week. :thumbsup:

12. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Yes, at last!

13. I think the previews mentioned the next episode is in two weeks.

14. Tony Plachy

Your right, I think Fox will have the World Series next week.

15. chuckgp

chuckgp Active Member

Hoping for LSD episodes, at least fun to watch others trip if none available here for Fringe research dammit.

16. The last couple of episodes have been good IMHO.

DubstepKing likes this.
  17. Lonson

I agree. They're back on track a little bit. . .even though we're still monster of the weekin' it.

18. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

+1 :righton:

19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

sadly, after watching last night's previews, i believe they are setting up an ending :(

20. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Did you all see the ad for the NEW JJ Abrams show? It had Sam Neil, George Garcia, AND, I think I saw Peter Stormare, TOO!!

21. I personally think that's the only reason that they renewed "Fringe" was to get ahold of Abrams latest project.

Yes, it appears as if they are setting up the end and that's too bad because I think the show could run another season and still be good.

22. Lonson

DubstepKing likes this.
  23. benjaminhuf

I think it has run its course. Stick a fork in it. It's done. More mad scientists and monsters of the week every week. I'm a big fan, but the show is beginning to bore me and my teenage son. We almost wonder if we should skip some eps and watch the last episode. It's like giant 4 year long Twilight Zone episode, mixed in with a mini sci fi horror movie every week. I don't think they have a good way to finish it, however, unlike what Rod Serling could put often pull off in 25 minutes...

Still like the cast.

But jeeze. Let's look a this wall of water in front of us and not try to get away. It's like they are not even trying anymore with some scenes...

24. benjaminhuf

looks like a hunk a junk to me. Someone tell JJ he can't play with time travel and alternate universes anymore. He's done that enough. People need to stop paying him for this trash...

25. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Yeah... but, c'mon! It's HUGO!!
    I'm sure just watching him, Sam Neil, and Peter Stormare sitting in a room and TALKING for an hour would be more fun than half the crap that's on TV now!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.