Rega P5 discounted

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mc.ubba, Sep 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mc.ubba

mc.ubba New Member Thread Starter

2. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

Interesting. So, is a $1100 P5 a better deal than MusicDirect's $1000 P2/34 With PSU? Or a new RP3 at $900, or 1275 with PSU.

Starting to get complicated!

3. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

And the plot thickens.

4. johnscousin

johnscousin Forum Resident

could be interesting.

jc

5. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

Maybe its brace will be titanium!!

(obvious typo in my first post: P3/24, not P2/34)

6. xyyyy

xyyyy Forum Resident

Not really:agree: IMO, if you are looking at the best 'long range' choice, go with the P5 and add a TT PSU later as funds permit.

7. mc.ubba

I would agree with xyyyy...I just want that beveled "picture frame" looking surround replaced...the only reason I've kept holding out.

8. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

Careful what you wish for.. the next version might be 'super-beveled'! :)

9. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

wow that's a good deal.
    Looks like now is a good time to buy a new Rega tt.

10. mc.ubba

ARRGH! NO NO NO! :winkgrin:

11. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

Of course the P5 gets replaced a few months after I bought mine. Maybe I should sell mine now to get the most in return. Perhaps upgrade to a VPI Classic :)

12. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I have heard the RP5 is due out before the end of the year.

13. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

Actually, it's not complicated at all. Get the P5...It's RB700 arm is a significantly better arm than the arm on the P3/24 or RP3, and will make more of a significant difference than the PSU. You can always add a PSU later. Adding an arm later to a P3/24 or RP3 will be a hassle because then you will have a spare RB301 you'll need to move. The P5 is still a killer table. Add a GrooveTracer Reference subplatter and call it day rather than worrying about the latest and greatest. Instead, spend the time enjoying LPs! ;)

14. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

I really like the surround...and it's there for a reason....it sounds better with it.

15. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

It would be better if it's brace were carbon fiber or stainless steel. Titanium not a stiff material, it's not as stiff as steel, for sure. One of the knocks against the first titanium bicycle frames was they were too flexy and felt like a noodle.

16. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

Dang, now I'll probably get upgradeitis for th P5. Soooooooo... Whats do 3 year old P3/24s go for? Hmmmm.

17. Josquin des Prez

There are a couple on Audiogon at $500-550.

18. Big deal that it's getting replaced. Maybe the new model will not be an improvement over the old. If you just bought it and you like how it sounds, what exactly is the problem? :confused:

19. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I would like to get a decent upgrade over my P3 2000. Might be many used P5's soon.

Pat

20. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Not having heard the RP5 it's tough to make the call, but if the diff between P3-24 and RP3 is telling of what to expect, it will be an evolutionary change. Sure the RP3 is a bit better, but it's not life or death.

I look at it like buying a computer, if you can live with a slight bit less performance, the real deal is in the just discontinued box. The $500 or so you save on a P5 vs. an RP5 might be just as well served with perhaps a better cartridge, a few more records or the piece of mind having 500 extra bucks in the bank.

You won't go terribly wrong no matter what option you choose.

21. Erocka2000

My P5 sounds great. But being in this hobby, we all know that there will be a time to upgrade. Now that this model is going to be replaced, the value of it is going to decrease significantly, making upgrading a much more expensive endeavor. I know when you buy new, there is an immediate depreciation, but now that the model is going to be discontinued, that depreciation has increased exponentially. Perhaps the new RP5 will not be as favored as the P5 and the value will remain for the latter. Too early to tell, I suppose.

22. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

Not that you're indicating you're about to sell, but consider this: If you sold the P5 now to mitigate loss in value, that's wiped out by the immediate depreciation of the newly opened RP5. Much better, seems to me, to wait till RP5s start coming up used to sell/buy.

23. Josquin des Prez

Although by the time RP5s start to come up for sale used, the P5s have depreciated even more so.

It ends up becoming a numbers game, so buy what makes you happy and don't worry about a few bucks (or a 100) here or there..

24. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Exactly. The P5 is a great table and will last for decades. No need to replace it. If someone did want to take it to the next level, I think they would be looking for at least a P7. No need for remorse over the P5 as it's an awesome machine!
    -Bill

25. Erocka2000

I didn't actually mean I would sell it in order to buy a new RP5. If I was going to sell it, it would be to really upgrade to something like a (R)P7, VPI Classic or Well Tempered Amadeus, etc. I guess I'm just bummed because when I will be able to do that, the amount I'll be able to sell my P5 for has now been reduced by a couple of hundred dollars and that's no fun.

Now if only I can get that damn TTPSU for less than retail price. Why can't they upgrade that, so at least the current ones will be reduced?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.