Best Living Stereo SACDs to start a collection

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bill Mac, Sep 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have no classical music in my music collection but have read quite a bit about Living Stereo's SACDs. So I was wondering what many here think are Living Stereo's better recordings to have. I think I would like to stay away from the opera based titles but I'm open to that as well. What are the best places to buy these SACDs? Thanks in advance for any suggestions :).

Bill

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

From what I've read, they're all good sonically. Plus, they're cheap, so I'm not sure you can go wrong with any of them. I have a handful of them, and they all sound good to me.

Amazon has them.

How many titles were released on SACD?

3. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Have fun!

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=200306

Thermionic Vinyl likes this.
  4. Fifty-four of them...

5. Bill Mac

michael landes likes this.
  6. David.m

David.m Forum Resident

Get onto SACD.net then list titles by 'top recommendations' then select 'classical' genre.
    Try the first few Living Stereos listed and go from there, they are all exceptional. There are links from there to Amazon but I have also bought many at cheaper prices from Import CD. The reviews on SACD.net are also helpful, if you get hooked there are a lot of other well priced SACDs, a lot OOP but still readily available.
    2 yrs ago I had only a couple of classical CDs, now have over 200 SACDs (include 35 Living Stereos). I tried a couple of opera but it doesn't do it for me.

7. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

The 'Pictures at an Exhibition' is one of the good ones.

SOONERFAN likes this.
  8. sean3089

sean3089 Forum Resident

Copeland Billy the Kid
    The operas sound nice too
    Julian Bream

9. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Some of them are absolute milestones of classical music recordings for the ages:

Debussy: La Mer etc/Munch
    Ravel: Bolero etc/Munch
    Brahms/Tchaikovsky: Violin concerti/Heifetz
    Tchaikovsky/Piano cto no 1/Cliburn
    Rimsky Korsakov/Sheherazade/Reiner
    Berlioz/Symphonie Fanatastique/Munch
    Sibelius/Violin concerto/Heifetz
    Bartok/Reiner
    Mussorgsky/Pictures at an exhibition/Reiner
    Strauss/Also Sparach Zarathustra/Reiner
    Strauss/Don Quixote/Reiner
    Ravel/Daphnis et Chloe/Munch
    Saint-Saens, Franck/Rubinstein
    Offenbach/Fiedler
    Vienna/Reiner
    Spain/Reiner

Proceed!

SOONERFAN likes this.
  10. KeithH

These are the titles that I have. Just a handful. They sound great, but I don't have other versions for comparison.

* Boston Symphony Orchestra/Munch Beethoven: Violin Concerto in D/Mendelssohn: Violin Concerto in E Minor

* Boston Symphony Orchestra/Munch Saint-Saëns: Symphony No. 3/Debussy: La Mer, Ibert: Escales

* Chicago Symphony Orchestra/Reiner Bartok: Concerto for Orchestra, Music for Strings, Percussion, and Celesta, Hungarian Sketches

* Van Cliburn Tchaikovsky: Piano Concerto No. 1 / Rachmaninoff: Piano Concerto No. 2

* Modest Mussorgsky (Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Fritz Reiner, Conductor) Pictures at an Exhibition/A Night on Bald Mountain

* Arthur Rubinstein Chopin: Ballades/Scherzos

11. [​IMG] [​IMG]

These two are must haves IMO.

Say and fortherecord like this.
  12. KeithH

Based on Steve's comments in the other Living Stereo thread, I ordered the Leontyne Price disc from Amazon a little while ago. It was just $10.

VinylCountdown likes this.
  13. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

14. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

RiRiIII's list is a great one, get all of them.

15. Great list! I already owned quite a few titles and I've just ordered 3 more.

16. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

I only have a handful and I've tried to get what I thought would appeal to me the most. It's kinda hard when I don't know much about classical music. The ones I've gotten have already been mentioned but I'll give my recommendation as well. Somewhere on the forum Steve gives Billy The Kid a high recommendation.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

17. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Good price. I ordered it for $13 shipping included.

18. txguitar

txguitar Senior Member

If you have a Frys in your area,I'd check there.I was recently at a Frys and they had a bunch of the Living stereo sacd titles for $9.99.

19. fatcat28037

fatcat28037 Forum Resident

SOONERFAN likes this.
  20. sean3089

sean3089 Forum Resident

The 60 disc box set is great. I just spent some time listening to some of it on my friends new Polk Monitor 70/ Cambridge Audio 650 integrated with a 5 changer Yamaha cd player.

I have about 35 of the SACD's from the collection and if I could do it all over I would have bought the box set. Also the box set includes an awesome sampler.

21. serendipitydawg

serendipitydawg Dag nabbit!

[​IMG]

I managed to buy this today in a charity shop for only £1.50 without even realising it was a SACD! The price sticker was obscuring the only visible SACD logo!

Perversely neither of my Pioneer universal players will play the SACD layer on hybrid discs. Weird.

22. sean3089

sean3089 Forum Resident

Bill Frissell's 1992 CD Have a Little Faith covers Copeland's Bill the Kid. What a recording!

23. Bill Mac

RiRiIII,

Thanks for posting that list :)! I will use it as a guide when I order future titles.

Bill

tsead likes this.
  24. Bill Mac

David,

Good advice as this is how I picked the two titles I ordered. I looked for those with 5 stars and went with the ones from the Boston Symphony. Being from Boston I thought it was the right thing to do ;).

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.