Talk Talk Laughing Stock to be reissued on Vinyl!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by williwoods, Aug 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. williwoods

williwoods Forum Resident Thread Starter

http://exclaim.ca/News/talk_talk_to_give_1991s_laughing_stock_long-awaited_vinyl_reissue

If you've ever tried to find a copy of Talk Talk's 1991 swan song Laughing Stock on eBay, then you know that vinyl copies of the long out-of-print record can fetch a pretty penny. Well, we have some good news for music lovers on a budget: the LP is finally getting a much-needed reissue.

Laughing Stock is a far cry from the radio-friendly synth pop that band is frequently remembered for. The album's experimental textures and eclectic live instrumentation made it a highly influential record in the world of post-rock and repeatedly has been seen as a major Radiohead influence over the years.

With just six sprawling songs, this genre-busting collection took a year to record -- a process the band would never again repeat, as they broke up soon after completing the album.

Laughing Stock originally came out onVerve, but on October 11, Ba Da Bing will be giving the collection its first-ever North American vinyl release. It's about damn time.

UPDATE: We've also now learned that Talk Talk's Mark Hollis will also be reissuing his self-titled 1998 solo album via Ba Da Bing. It's due out October 11 and will mark the first time the album has seen a vinyl release in North America.

Laughing Stock:

1. "Myrrhman"
    2. "Ascension Day"
    3. "After the Flood"
    4. "Taphead"
    5. "New Grass"
    6. "Runeii"

Man, its about time....I hope Spirit of Eden gets rewaxed too!! :edthumbs:

2. fruer

fruer Forum Resident

Spirit of Eden needs the reissue treatment badly. The original pressing was a pretty noisy affair. At least, that seems to be the majority opinion. My copy is no exception.

I have an original Laughing Stock and it's a splendid pressing. However, the asking price these days is absurd. I hope they do it justice on the repress. The original sounds lovely.

3. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Should be great as long as they use the analog masters. Maybe great even if they don't use the analog masters, but what a disappointment if they don't. Same goes for Spirit of Eden - that would be a great addition.

Wish they would reissue It's My Life and Colour of Spring on vinyl using the orig. analog tapes, as the Simply Vinyl reissues use the digital remasters - they do sound good, though.

4. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

This is god news, as the others have noted l hope its done properly. Bought an original UK press of Colour of Spring recently and it is a ripper!

5. playbsides

playbsides Forum Resident

I did a quick write-up on my blog about the reissue and I reached out to Ba Da Bing to see what the source was. I got a quick response that they used the "CD Masters" (which I'll interpret to mean they used a CD, and not masters originally used to create the CD). They also said that they were reproducing the original artwork for the releases.

http://www.playbsides.com/?p=3864

I didn't get a response to my query about the previous albums getting the same treatment.

6. ashulman

ashulman Forum Resident

I've been waiting so long for this, after a long search for a vinyl copy

7. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

First I thought this was great news, but after this post: not so much. i assume they won't use the "a cd" as the master; that would be one of the most disappointing things to do with a vinyl re-release.
    I assume they mean the master that was used to make the cd's; so it will be from a digital source.
    I somehow think that won't be any improvement over the original vinyl releases.
    I hope that over time other companies (MFSL? Music Matters? Audio Fidelity?) will have the chance with the original masters!

8. zwolo

zwolo Forum Resident

BOOOOO!!!! glad i have the original laughing stock but was so looking forward to the hollis as it is way scarce :thumbsdn:

9. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

I'll pick both of these up regardless of the source. Hoping for the best, and maybe I will be pleasantly surprised.

10. fitzrik

fitzrik Forum Resident

Oh dear oh dear. What's the point???

I'm glad I picked up Laughing Stock for 3 or 4 pounds in the mid 90s!! :)
    Wonderful album!!

I can't believe that there isn't enough demand and will to re-do these albums properly. Spirit of Eden and laughing stock would surely sell like hot cakes. Not so sure about the solo album.

Colour of spring is widely available 2nd hand and the UK vinyl at least sounds excellent!

Its my life is also fairly common and sounds great but maybe not as much as the latter albums.

Agreed that Spirit of Eden is noisy.

R

11. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I used to have Laughing Stock on vinyl but got rid of it pretty quickly because after 2 or 3 copies I gave up. For me Colour of Spring is the best musically and sonically.

JG

12. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

I pre-ordered these, and will report on sound quality. I don't have high expectations, but at least they are not expensive. Perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised.

13. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

That's the only one that I still need on vinyl. I also noticed that Mark Hollis' only solo album is also to be re-issued on vinyl in October. I missed this one on vinyl the first time around and am anxious to also pick it up.

Cheers,
    Chris

14. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

My copy of SoE looks perfect but is very noisy. My US pressing is fine but, I'd rather have a good UK copy.

Cheers,
    Chris

15. djork

djork Forum Resident

PLease can we get Spirit of Eden, too? Pretty please?

16. canonlon

canonlon Forum Resident

I've noticed the Laughing Stock reissue vinyl for sale at Amazon.com > is it available from other retailers?

17. Engineer X

Engineer X Forum Resident

18. Yovra

19. mfp

mfp Senior Member

Took long enough!

20. Engineer X

Is your repress on color vinyl and how does it sound?

21. Yovra

It's a black vinyl copy that looks identical to the now very costly Verve original vinyl.I bought it from a Dutch seller via Discogs for about 25 euro's and he was so honest to state that he didn't know if this was a legitimate release, it was a new copy.
    I can only compare it to the cd and it sounds okay, the vinyl is a bit noisy (which is always a problem with this kind of music), and it sounds a tad 'warmer' compared to the cd. I found the differences between the cd releases and the vinyl of 'The Colour of Spring' far more spectacular. That's why I hoped for a decent re-release and remaster from the original album masters. From what I've read so far it looks a quick cash-in job.
    I think this album deserves better!

22. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

I picked up the new reissue of Laughing Stock at my local shop. It's only colored vinyl - LP 1 is white and LP 2 is translucent red. I gave a quick listen to side 1 while I was doing other things - will sit down and give it a focused listen this weekend and report back.

23. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Looking forward to your review.

24. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

25. Engineer X

+1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.