The Beatles: Magical Mystery Tour EP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maidenpriest, Aug 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :) Thread Starter

Hello All,

Which version of the UK Extended Play 45rpm Vinyl or Cd included in the The Beatles EP Collection do you prefer of The Beatles Magical Mystery Tour, Mono or Stereo ?

Please note: This is a discussion about the Original or vinyl re-releases of the 'Extended Play' or the version included in the Compact Disc EP collection and not a thread about the original Capitol Magical Mystery Tour album which is the current available Cd version (2009) if you wish to discuss the current version there are plenty of threads for that or just post your own !!:righton:

I am interesting in hearing your thoughts regarding the Mono and/or Stereo mix differences and track format etc ?

Attached Files:

2. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

The mono mix is cool, but I generally go for the stereo version for MMT. Still glad to have both in my collection.:)

Paul_T likes this.
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

MONO

I prefer this to Pepper. :shh:

4. Dark_Globe

Dark_Globe New Member

Both are great, but the stereo fits more with the psychedelic aspect.

Paul_T likes this.
  5. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Mono.
    In "I Am The Walrus", I love the way that Lennon's voice cuts through the heavy orchestration like a knife in the mono mix. I don't hear that in the stereo. Also, no fake stereo on the last part of the song. "Flying" also sounds more Booker T. and the MG'ish with the guitars mixed louder in mono.

6. Maidenpriest

Agree, much better than Pepper !!

7. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

I like the UK stereo.

MMT is so electronic and surreal sounding that the bizarre wide stereo mix seems appropriate. Is it "Your Mother Should Know" where the lead vocal comes from one channel for one verse, then flips to the other side? Whatever song it is, that's a creepy effect.

"I am the Walrus" does suffer on the stereo version IMO. It becomes fake stereo around the time the radio is introduced to the tune. For that song the mono mix is "the one".

8. Gerbaby

Gerbaby Forum Resident

If you get a clean sounding original stereo they are great. The separation is fantastic and I don't know if running at a faster speed makes a difference,but the fidelity is spot on.
    The problem with the EP is they are so inconsistent.
    You can have one un-played and it will have an awful lot of surface noise.
    Something about quality control on the 45 of this record. You can even see blemishes in the vinyl on many copies.
    Stereo wins out for me.

9. TLMusic

Yes, those two songs really do sound best in mono IMO.

The others I can accept either mono or stereo. Both mixes are fun. MMT (esp. with the singles added) is my favorite Beatles "album". :)

10. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

The Beatles are meant to be heard in mono, end of discussion

11. Maidenpriest

I love that effect on the stereo 'Your Mother Should Know', but the mono is good as well with the over use of 'phasing' on the vocals, I love the way that each song on each EP is different, be it Mono or Stereo, people argue that The Beatles Mono format was The Beatles original intention and the 'definate' way to hear the music how it should be heard, but IMO they were putting as much effort into stereo by the time of this EP ?

12. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Mono, but just barely.

I really like the stereo version except for "Flying", but when I compare track-by-track, it is either a tie or the mono wins.

13. Maidenpriest

Not by 1966, Stereo was as valid as Mono, FACT :righton::shh::wave:

Paul_T likes this.
  14. Tone

Tone Senior Member

15. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Can I just say that this little EP was one of the most beautiful creations that the world has ever seen?

timnor likes this.
  16. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

:agree:

I prefer the Stereo for the separation. Psych music from the 60s is meant to be heard in stereo IMO.

17. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

Beatles meant to be heard in mono...Beatles meant to be heard in mono...Beatles meant to be heard in mono...Bea...

Nah.

18. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Yes it is a beautiful little creation indeed. That said the only version I own is the mono one. I do enjoy the Parlophone UK mono pressings for the Beatles music.

19. deville

deville Forum Resident

The orchestra on mono Walrus sounds like a string quartet compared to the huge, symphonic sound of the stereo version. There are a lot of differences between the 2 in terms of Ringo's performance as well. While the mono Walrus makes for a fun listen, the stereo mix is definitive for me.
    The rest of the album is a mixed bag for me. On many tracks, I prefer the mono. I've heard Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane so many times in stereo that the mono version is a nice change. Bluejay Way sounds incomplete in mono.
    I can't decide, and I'm glad i don't have to. :D

Paul_T likes this.
  20. deville

deville Forum Resident

Yeah that stuff is nonsense. The Beatles are meant to be heard... let's leave it at that.

Paul_T likes this.
  21. Maidenpriest

This thread is not about the album, it is about the mono and stereo MMT extended play 45's or Cd, Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane are not on it ??

Please don't discuss the album, there are plenty of other threads for that :wave:

22. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

I voted for the mono, but only just.
    One thing I love about these releases is that the mixes are so significantly altered from each other to the point of making "Blue Jay Way" or "Your Mother Should Know" for example, into totally different experiences of the songs.

23. TLMusic

I forgot about the awesome phasing.

Were the Beatles(along with George Martin) putting any personal effort into the MMT stereo mixes?

I do seem to remember the story of Lennon being present for the mono remix of "Walrus." He ran the radio real time while the mix was dubbed to tape. IIRC that is the reason that the stereo mix uses a reprocessed version of the mono--the mono mix tape is the only place the radio sound effects exist, they are not on the multitracks. Beatles experts can please correct or amplify this info...

24. Silo

Silo New Member

The mono mixes for Magical Mystery Tour are the biggest disappointment in the entire Beatles catalog. They don't sound musically blended and the music to vocal balances are off.

The stereo mixes are beautifully done. This is my favorite sounding Beatles album (stereo only).

25. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

Stereo for me. I have a great sounding copy. I've never heard the mono.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.