Michael Nesmith Largo set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by yellowballoon, Aug 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member Thread Starter

The last posts are hidden on various Monkees/Nesmith threads.

From Facebook..here was the set list. Micky Dolenz was also in attendance, as were Mike's four children.

Nesmith's Largo Set: Little Red Rider/Some Of Shelly's Blues/Thanks For The Ride/Different Drum (w/Sara Watkins)/I've Just Begun To Care/Joanne.

Chris

2. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Cool! Great that Micky was in attendance. Also great that the set focused on the "older stuff" rather than the "newer stuff".

3. pacandj

pacandj Forum Resident

Can you say, AWESOME!

4. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Just heard from my friend who was at the show - he said it was phenomenal (no surprise there) and that Nez was in fine voice and guitar chops. Also, the crowd went absolutely nuts when he took the stage - a long standing O before he even sang a note. Excellent - hopefully Mike's getting the bug for gigging again.

Oh, apparently he wrote a new verse to "Different Drum" just for this show, too.

5. ringosshed

ringosshed Forum Resident

Read this as Lego set for a moment.

6. FredV

FredV Senior Member

7. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I saw Nez do a few shows in '92, including an intimate club date in San Francisco. He is a marvelous performer.

8. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Wow, what a clip. It's almost surreal how they captured Nez the dinosaur blowing off the fan from St. Louis. He's holding the 1st National Band LPs begging for just one signature. How Nez says "Sorry, I gotta go meet my fans...." AMAZING!

I dunno why, but it reminded me of Howard Hessman blowing off Spinal Tap to go wait in the lobby for the limo...

9. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Sorry, he did say "meet my FAMILY..." But, still -- not like there was a hundred people standing there. What's a couple autographs and maybe a handshake or three gonna hurt. After all we did buy a TON of HIS white-out before spell-check kicked in...

10. FredV

FredV Senior Member

11. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

I could be wrong but I believe Nez doesn't sign anything unless you purchase something directly from his Video Ranch website. From what I heard he was tired of his autographs showing up on eBay and other people profiting. When I've purchased cds from the Ranch, he has always graciously signed them (I believe everything has to be personalized) and at no additional charge.

12. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

I get that. But let's be honest -- he's made a boatload of money. And most of it is not from his music. He's had all the breaks one guy can ask for. A quick glad-hand and maybe a few scribbles would not be a bad idea given that his "supply" is FAR less then the public demands. This guy has real, rabid fans. Ask the rest of the aging 1960's rockers if they'd play it the same way Nesmith does.

If he's out there playing a show, you can't talk out of both sides of your mouth. I'll bet those concert tickets were not cheap or easy to come by. If you are a gigging musician with an honest musical legacy, play a bit of the game. Or just stay at home a play yer guitar in the den.

13. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Tickets were $25 for the show and sold out quickly, the Largo is a small, intimate venue.

http://largo.laughstub.com/show.cfm?id=92730&cart

14. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Mark, can't say I disagree with anything you said.

15. FredV

FredV Senior Member

If skallywag doesn't mind me posting it here, here's his review of the Nesmith Largo show:

The show was WOW, fantastic.. Not only was Nez wonderful, but Sarah Watkins, Fiona Apple, Lee Grant Phillips were all great.. I had never listened to any of them before and I can say, I can't wait to go back and enjoy them again..

Once the doors opened at 7:30, everone could go into the Largo lobby, have some refreshments, sit in the courtyard or go inside the Little room.. A small club area, with the bar (beer and wine only), a small stage, and an eclectic aray of pcitures and other decorations hanging on the walls.. Very nice place to relax..
    I sat in the lobby and just watched as the people came in.. Soon I noticed Christian Nesmith, then Jason, Jonathan and yes, even Jessica! They were there with their partners in life.. It was heartwarming, but not suprising, to see them all together to come to listen to the man they get to call "Dad"... Shortly after this, I looked to my left, and saw Micky Dolenz as he came through the door !! Wow, I thought, this is wonderful and so sweet for him to come and see Mike too.. He looked GREAT, (don't you believe for one minute, the rumors about the sudden cancellation of the Monkee tour, was due to him needing to go into rehab... ) he was spot on, smiling a wide smile, happy go lucky Micky!!

I got a GREAT seat.. front row, center.. The Stage is raised, less than 10 ft away..

The Nez "kids" walked in altogether and sat about 4th or 5th row back, Micky came in, walked in front of the stage, and went off towards the back, probably sat in 3rd, 4th,
    5th row back.

Sarah and Sean Watkins, came out opened the show.. There is pure talent in these two as well.. Very spontanious and fun.. After 3 numbers, Lee Grant Phillips came out, (wow, what a talent he is and a beautiful voice)... Through out the begining of the evening, Sarah would say, we have some special guests.... Fiona Apple came out, she joined the band and they did a nice number from a person known as Skeeter Davis.. I have heard of her from my parents era in Country music, in the early 60's.. I had never heard the song they did before, but it was really good and Fiona too, was amazing..

Then, Sarah said, something like "Ok, we need to bring out the guy you have all come here to see".... The audience went wild... And she introduced "the Amazing Singer/songwriter Mr. Michael Nesmith..." And now the house really went WILD with thunderous applauce, whoops and hollers, and a standing Ovation .. He walked from the right wind of the stage, wearing a black T-shirt, Levis, on his feet were black slip on Mocs. He wore a beautiful silver and turquiose brand/braclet on his right wrist.. He picked up his 12 string guitar, tossed the strap over his shoulder, GRINNED, and began to play :

Little Red Ryder
    Thanx For the Ride
    Some of Shelly's Blues
    Joanne

Man, can he play a 12 string guitar so BEAUTIFULLY!! It is my favorite instrament anyway, so to hear and FEEL the melodious sounds coming from his playing, was just special..

In between the songs, he would SMILE .. Almost in a shy like way.. it was warming, he seemed so gracious and sincere.. At the end as he started to walk off stage, he turned and bowed and blew a kiss to the audience.. And walked off the sameway he came.. To the sounds of a pleased and fullfiled audience, a standing ovation, with cries and chants for MORE...

Which they all returned and they finished the set with
    Propinquity (Ive Just Begun to Care) and
    Different Drum (although Sarah did the lead on this one)..

I didn't stay long after the show.. Sarah and her band were set to play a bit longer in the Little Room... Which is just what is says, LITTLE ROOM.. The line up after the main show to get into that, was out the door.. The theater holds something like 250, and the Little Room MAY hold 40, MAYBE... so you can imagine how long it would take to filter people through there.. Perhaps Nez came in and played more there, it could have happened.. I just decided I needed to head for home.. I came and saw the Monkee I loved the most as a first generation fan, Papa Nez that I loved and enjoyed in the 70's, and just plain ol' Nez now... I was a happy, fullfiled fan!!!

SKALLY

16. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Grant Lee Phillips

17. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

OK. $25's VERY fair. Dunno if scalping entered in the picture, no matter...

But my point still stands. Monkee-mania ended about 675 years ago. The only people left are hard-core fans of their/his music.

That was a bush-league move. A 5-10 minute session would've made the event substantially more gushy and memorable for those dozen or so folks willing to wait out back. Just sayin'...

18. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Thx, Dave. I didn't intend to turn this into a bash Nesmith thread. But he's got an opportunity to cap off an impressive musical legacy. His songs are the substance of a band (the Monkees) that never got a fair shake, but exists today because fans world-wide continue to show heartfelt love.

It's would be one thing if he said "Look, I'm finished with music. Thanks, for everything" Or even if he left it at, "I don't like those monkeeguys anymore, not what I want to do". But to come out and play an intimate venue like Largo and not want to do a quick "meet and greet" at the stage door zaps the entire spirit of what he captured that night.

19. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Tell that to the fans who attended shows on the 2011 tour in the UK and the States at venues that seated close to 3,000 and more people each, the vast majority of the shows being sell-outs, attended by both die-hard and casual fans with concessions made to appeal to both groups (hits for the general public, deep-cuts for the die-hards). Even Rolling Stone, which has never been kind to the Monkees, gave them a glowing review of the Beacon Theater show in NYC, which I attended.

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture...e-monkees-act-like-theyve-never-left-20110617

A shame the second leg of the tour was cancelled, but for the fans who did attend, it was a memorable experience.

I was fortunate to see Nesmith in concert in 1992 when he did a rare solo tour and played the Lone Star Cafe in NYC. It definitely rates as one of my all time favorite concert experiences. If he were so inclined to do a limited tour now (and maybe the Largo show was him dipping his toes in the water), there's no doubt he would get both the die-hards and casual fans who'd be interested in seeing him perform. Here's the thing though, when he did his solo shows he only performed ONE Monkees' song he wrote, 'Papa Gene's Blues', and the rest was his solo material, which was fine by the fans who attended and are familiar with his body of work.

20. skallywag

skallywag Member

My experience at Largo

Sorry, I didn't see FREDV had posted my review.. so I deleted the one I just posted.

21. skallywag

skallywag Member

To all: I made a mistake in posting Grant Lee Phillps' name in my original post.. He is very good, and I do want everyone to be able to look up his "stuff" so please note, his correct name is :

GRANT LEE PHILLIPS

(not LEE GRANT PHILLIPS)

Thanks!!
    Skally

22. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I see no problem at all with a performer not wanting to.sign. The odd part for me is when adults want to collect autographs, unless it is to sell at a profit, which I understand would bug the signers.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  23. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

His recordings are WONDERFUL !

He also founded Grant Lee Buffalo
    one of the greatest bands of the past 25
    years imho

thanks for the cool write up

http://www.grantleephillips.com/site/index.html

http://www.grantleebuffalo.com/

24. music4life

music4life Senior Member

I never understand this POV about autographs. I'm an adult and love to get an artists signature on thier album, CD, or whatever. To me it's like getting a piece of art signed. Like Picasso signing a painting...I have several albums signed and all in frames hanging in my music room. I would never consider selling any of them...

25. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I think you're right.

I did request and receive an autographed RANCH STASH CD several years ago from him at Video Ranch, and interestingly enough, he dated it, as well. Hmm.

Nesmith is so cool. I had no idea he did this show. Is he touring? Is it with a band?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.