Adventures In Mastering: "HEART GREATEST HITS" for Audio Fidelity Gold CD..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

When I was told this Heart compilation was coming down the pipeline, I sighed. Doing comps are a lot of work, compiling masters from different sources, different studios, engineers, producers and eras. All to be fitted on a disk so they sound reasonably coherent with each other, same universe and all that.

I knew this one would be a pain in the butt to master and it was, but it turned out quite well.

Both Stephen Marsh and I are Heart fans and it was hard making sense of what Mike Flicker and crew were going for way back then.

For example, a song like BARRACUDA was mixed with the instruments practically sounding like they were draped in a big blanket while the vocals were "out there" with top end, cutting through the murk.

I remember playing my old LP way back when and thinking that the thing needed to be LOUD for it to sound any good and perhaps that was the idea.

When all of the songs were put together on our "test" disk (for my home use), I knew we really had our work cut out for us.

The first song on the disk is a much later recording called STRONG STRONG WIND that was new when the Greatest Hits was released in the late 1990s and I knew I would have to struggle to integrate it in to the rest of the songs, tone wise and volume wise.

During mastering, we listened to the issued Greatest Hits disk and to me it sounded bright, edgy, compressed to pain and downright unmusical. I thought with a sinking feeling that perhaps HEART wanted it to sound like that. Maybe they liked it like that. Well, we didn't. Immediately we vowed to add no compression, no weird bright EQ and we set out to add BODY back to the compilation, to add, well, heart to HEART.

The opening song on the issued CD sounds really digital and bad, no bass, ear bleeding sonics and it obscured the fact to me that it's really a nice song. But, when we heard the master takes (six of them to choose from), wow, what a difference. With a little massaging, we created a nice opener for the Gold CD. Wait until you compare with the issued version. You'll start to like the song much better when you hear ours.

Stephen Marsh grew up on HEART and had a great suggestion regarding the pacing of the songs. We spread them out a bit to give the silence in between a little chance to let our ears get ready for the next song.

Capitol Records kindly helped us out with the DREAMBOAT ANNIE, etc. stuff so we pretty much used every original mix that still exists on these songs.

We used vacuum tubes galore to get some BODY into this solid state world of HEART and you will probably notice that everything sounds much more well-rounded now (no chick pun intended). The bass notes have depth and weight, not just one note plops. The acoustic guitars shimmer but do not overbear. The vocals sound more lifelike. All in all, you can crank this one way up there and it will just sound better and better the louder it gets. Dynamic range has been restored.

Typing these thoughts out is making me want to play our final test disk again and enjoy these songs again. I predict you will dig this!

1."Strong, Strong Wind" (Warren) - 4:28
    2."Magic Man" (Wilson, Wilson) - 5:28
    3."Crazy on You" (Wilson, Wilson) - 4:54
    4."Dreamboat Annie" (Wilson, Wilson) - 3:50
    5."Barracuda" (DeRosier, Ennis, Fisher, Wilson, Wilson) - 4:21
    6."Little Queen" (DeRosier, Fisher, Fossen, Leese, Wilson, Wilson) - 5:10
    7."Kick It Out" (Wilson, A.) - 2:45
    8."Love Alive" (Fisher, Wilson, Wilson) - 4:23
    9."Heartless" (Wilson, Wilson) - 5:00
    10."Straight On" (Ennis, Wilson, Wilson) - 5:09
    11."Dog and Butterfly" (Ennis, Wilson, Wilson) - 5:22
    12."Even It Up" (Ennis, Wilson, Wilson) - 5:10
    13."Bebe le Strange" (Ennis, Fisher, Wilson, Wilson) - 3:40
    14."Tell It Like It Is" (Davis, Diamond) - 4:28
    15."This Man Is Mine" (Ennis, Wilson, Wilson) - 3:08
    16."How Can I Refuse" (Andes, Carmassi, Ennis, Wilson, Wilson) - 3:56
    17."Rock and Roll" (Live) (Bonham, Jones, Page, Plant) - 6:10

George P and ShawnMcCann like this.
  2. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Awesome! I love Heart and can't wait to get this.

3. Pureprairie1972

Pureprairie1972 New Member

Looking forward to this one.

4. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Got Mine pre-ordered !! really looking forward to this one , thanks for the notes & photo's steve , are those reel's of tape all 2 inch tapes ?

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

as usual thanks for sharing Steve...absolutely wonderful! can't wait for this.:)

6. Pureprairie1972

Pureprairie1972 New Member

They're all checked 2-track tapes @ 30IPS.

So they should be 1/4".

McLover likes this.
  7. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident

I love Heart too and I hate Greatest Hits/Best Of's but i will purchase this one. Is it HDCD? Sending an email to my brother about it and I want to include that detail.

8. ricebear

ricebear Forum Resident

How can I refuse, with my favorite song "How Can I Refuse"? :righton:

clhboa likes this.
  9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

10. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Thanks for the notes Steve. I enjoy reading these and I am really looking forward to this one.

11. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Thanks for the comments. Since this title was announced I've been curious to hear what you would do about "Strong, Strong Wind" and whether or not the modern digital bright compressed sound was due solely to mastering or if it was mixed that way and there would be little you could do. I don't really like the song, but maybe as you say hearing a well mastered version will make all the difference. Really looking forward to it.

(and hoping you'll do the 1985 S/T next!)

12. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I just really dig seeing the old tape boxes.

Of course I'll get the CD too.

13. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Count me in on this one! Thanks for the notes. It's going to be SWEET. [​IMG]

14. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I'd pay some good money for a good-sounding version of that!

But I wonder if the source tapes are any good...:confused:

15. sonnysin168

sonnysin168 Forum Resident

Preordered a copy from amazon.com.

16. I'm looking forward to this one, like the vacuum tubes part.

17. theanswer337

theanswer337 Forum Resident

What happened to the photos?

18. JonasR

JonasR Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing the info. Looking forward to get this album. :goodie:

Will the Wilson sisters get a copy of this album? Would be interesting to know their opinion about the sound.

That's great. I say thanks to Capitol for allowing AF to use best possible sources.

19. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Steve, I like these threads. I appreciate the background info. and now can't wait to get the gold CD. It will be interesting to compare it to the standard issue.

20. Chris Malone

Chris Malone Forum Resident

Seconded. These sorts of threads are always fascinating to me. I learn a lot from them about the care, diligence and quality that is fostered in preparing the music materials for release. It most certainly whets my appetite to hear the finished discs.

21. marantzbe

marantzbe Hyperactive!

Love Heart, I can't way for this.
    Thank you Steve for your work.

22. This is great!

23. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

So this comp has only the 70s hits, right? (except for, at the time, the new tracks)

Cause, I have a special fondness for "These Dreams"......I was in the 7th grade and the female gym teacher put this song on, turned our backs to us, and led us in aerobics.....Lets just say I have my own music video to this song.

24. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Forum Resident

Thanks for your serious and caring work with these Gold CD's. It is always nice when you comment on the working process. Eagerly waiting for this CD.

25. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Exactly. I personally prefer their 70s hits.