Favorite #1 Album 1971

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rick1229, Jul 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick1229

Rick1229 Forum Resident Thread Starter

This poll includes all the album which were at the #1 spot in 1971.

Not all of them were released in 1971 but they were all at the #1 spot on the Billboard U.S. album chart in 1971.

which is your favorite #1 album of 1971?

Here are the links for the other polls so far:
    1970: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=258208&highlight=

1979: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=257052&highlight=

For albums which were #1 in overlapping years my criteria is if the album was at #1 for one week in it's original year and one week in the following year it will only be listed in it's original year of #1 status.

If an album is #1 for 5 weeks with 4 weeks in it's original year and 1 week in the following year than it will only be listed in it's original year. Now if it's the other way around with 1 week in it's original year and 4 weeks in the following year it will be listed in only in the following year.

If an album has 5 weeks or more at #1 and crosses over to a following year it must have at least 2 weeks at #1 in the following year to be listed in the following year.

If the album has 10 weeks or more at #1 and crosses into a following year than it must log at least 3 weeks at #1 in the following year to be listed in the following year.

I know it seems like a lot of criteria but just for the sake of keeping clarity in these polls I wanted to give everybody an idea of how i am figuring these polls out for albums that do cross over into a following year at #1.

2. Pennywise

Pennywise Forum Resident

All Things Must Pass and Every Picture Tells A Story are my two favorite albums of all time! I went with ATMP because there's more of it. :D

3. Rochdale3

Rochdale3 Forum Resident

Sticky Fingers, easily

4. CaptBeyond

CaptBeyond Well-Known Member

Tough choice between Rolling Stones, Rod Stewart and Carole King, but I go with Carole King Tapestry.

5. houston

houston Forum Resident

maybe the greatest year for #1 albums! all of these have merit, but I chose Jesus Christ Superstar

6. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Paul McCartney - Ram

...in this poll tough choice between ATMP and Riot.

7. voicebug

voicebug Senior Member

Tapestry.

8. CaptainOzone

CaptainOzone On Air Cowbell

Many great choices but +1 for this.

9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Sticky Fingers

10. alexpop

11. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

Had to with All Things Must Pass, though there are a lot of great ones here. There is just something about ATMP for me...

Dale

12. Rick1229

McCartney's RAM reached #2 and stayed there for 2 weeks. King's Tapestry prevented it from hitting #1 along with a few other albums. "Tapestry" stayed atop for 15 weeks.

13. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

All Things Must Pass

14. houston

houston Forum Resident

I would not vote for Tapestry, because it includes "will you still love me tomorrow", and "you make me feel (like a natural woman)", songs that predate 1971 by many years....but that's just me

15. scousette

scousette Forum Resident

Tapestry

16. Rick1229

Fact is these songs as by Carole King were recorded in 1971 for her "Tapestry" album and she did a great job with them.

Your comment alone makes me want to vote for Tapestry... but I haven't yet decided.

I have whittled it down to three choices... either Riot by Sly, Tapestry by King or 4 Way Street by CSNY.

17. alexpop

What chart was that ?

Uncle Albert ?

18. Rick1229

Billboard's Top 200 album Chart in the U.S.

This poll is for albums not singles "Uncle Albert" was a single not an album.

19. alexpop

Steller effort..all the same.

20. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Sticky Fingers!

21. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

22. houston

houston Forum Resident

well, if you are voting against my comment, then I submit that 4 Way Street is also filled with pre-1971 material, so among your choices, I would take Sly...but you won't because you're voting against me :winkgrin:

23. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Also, don't vote for Every Picture Tells a Story because it has a cover of "That's All Right" on it. Also, George Harrison wrote much of ATMP in '69. Two years before 1971!!! CSNY 4 Way Street has a whole bunch of stuff that predates 1971. etc. etc.

24. Rick1229

No, I am not voting against you. I just didn't find any logic in your comment.

Although I am leaning toward Sly's album... but I am going to take a listen to each of the three I'm considering and come back in a day or two with my decision. It's been ages since I've listened to any of these albums.

the poll is not about albums recorded in 1971, it's just about albums that reached #1 in 1971.

25. houston

houston Forum Resident

are you being snarkey? :winkgrin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.