AC Outlet Upgrade – What receptacle should I use?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by etzeppy, Jul 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I currently have a single duplex AC outlet near my main system. I assume it uses a low quality receptacle. I am thinking about upgrading the outlet to a quad and figured I should use better quality receptacles in the process.

From what I gather the Hubbell HBL5362 is a popular choice for an AC outlet. However, it uses a 20amp T-Slot style receptacle. There is also a HBL5262 which uses the standard receptacle. This prompts a couple of questions.

1. Is the Hubbell HBL5362 (or HBL5262) a wise choice or should I be looking at something else?
    2. Since I am not running a dedicated 20 amp circuit, is it technically a code violation to use the HBL5362? I assume so. However, since I know what I’m plugging into it, I don’t see it as an actual safety issue.
    3. Is there a performance difference between the HBL5362 and the HBL5262 in audio applications? The 5362 is mentioned over and over again in discussions about receptacles and I find almost no reference to the 5262 version.

2. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Here we go again!

Big fun on the horizon. But seriously a pair of the Hubbells will do just fine.

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

It is a safety issue. If at a later date (perhaps when you don't live there anymore) someone will plug something into it that demands 20 amps and cause a fire or other damage. Or maybe a family member will need to run something that needs 20 amps. It could be dangerous to an electrician, too, if they are expecting 20 amps.....

There are many types of outlets. I chose one that was made for sound. :)

4. etzeppy

The "audio grade" receptacles I have seen all have the 20amp t-slot.

5. blakep

blakep Senior Member

As Gary has pointed out, there is a safety issue, although the likelihood of someone trying to plug a 20 amp appliance in is certainly low.

The Hubbell 5262 is actually a bit unique in terms of receptacles in that it has dedicated 15 amp contacts. Almost all other manufacturer's receptacles use 20 amp contacts in both the 15 and 20 amp versions of their receptacles; the only difference in the 20 amp vs. 15 amp receptacle being the T-slot which will allow insertion of a 20 amp male.

That being said, I don't believe anyone would be able to tell the difference sonically between a HBL 5362 and HBL 5262 (and I have both in my system, as well as HBL 8200H, a slim line hospital grade made by Hubbell with unplated contacts, and have experimented a fair bit with all 3, as well as numerous other manufacturers receptacles, both cryoed and non-cryoed).

As a starting point, and quite possibly as a finishing point, a Hubbell 5262 is a great choice IMO, especially if you have a local cryo vendor who can treat the receptacle for you to -300 to -320F. It's really no secret that many of the audiophile receptacles are cryoed Hubbell 5362's or cryoed Hubbell 5362's with extra claims of marketing hype that remain unknown. Jena Labs, Sound Application, World Power, Shunyata and others have been using cryoed 5362's as the essential foundation of their receptacles for years, and with good reason. It's an excellent sounding receptacle.

Bear in mind that the sonic effects of receptacles are cumulative. If your system runs off multiple receptacles, you should try and replace all of them, including those in line conditioners and power strips if at all possible. If you do this, the positive effects can be fairly significant.

When you consider that you can buy a HBL 5262 for around $10-$12 and have it cryoed for another $5 or so it is a bit of a bargain. I circulated one recently to a number of audiophiles to try out and just last night was speaking to someone that currently has it in use and much prefers it to the new PS Audio Power Port Premiere, which retails for $100 (he took that out of his system and runs his plasma tv on it). That's not to say the PS Audio would not be the greatest thing since sliced bread for someone else in a different system. Receptacles definitely have a sonic character but I can tell you from personal experience it's a bit of work to figure out what that character is if you have a system that draws from more than one receptacle and/or utilizes power conditioning or power strips of any kind.

6. blakep

blakep Senior Member

Unless you have a 20 amp line or intend to get one, there is absolutely no reason to have a 20 amp receptacle. It is simply a marketing gimmick from those that sell "audiophile receptacles".

7. etzeppy

Very informative post. My first thought was to use the 5262 for this application. I just noticed that the 5362 pops up all over the place, and most of the receptacles in high-end power conditioners appear to be the 20amp style even though the device itself has a standard plug. I thought there might be some performance advantage to the 20amp receptacle.

I was not aware of cryo treatments but will look into it.

8. blakep

blakep Senior Member

Nope. If you check out the data sheet on any of the major manufacturers' decent spec grade receptacles you will find that they are rated exactly the same.

If you do go with the Hubbell 5262 (or 5362) be sure to get the HBL 5262/5362. Hubbell also manufactures a CR 5262/5362 which is a cheaper and inferior version not much better than standard contractor grade.

9. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

I gotta stop reading this forum while eating. I almost choked on my corn flakes........

10. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Cornflakes for dinner? :confused:

:winkgrin:

11. etzeppy

Great info. Thank you. I have also found that if it's listed online as just Hubbell 5262 (no CR or HPL noted), it's more than likely the cheaper CR version.

12. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

What is the best source for buying these outlets?

13. JBryan

JBryan Forum Resident

Plenty of places to find these duplex receptacles - search the net or stop by your local Graybar shop. The cheapest I've found them was at a hamfest. There were several hospital-grade models to choose from at $2-5 a pop.

14. etzeppy

I was just at Home Depot and checked their stock while there. They don't have anything but cheap and cheaper. I doubt Lowes will have them either. If that do, it will likely be the CR version.

15. blakep

blakep Senior Member

I doubt you will find Hubbell and particularly the better Hubbell receptacles at any of the big box stores. Best bet is to call 3 or 4 Electric Equipment and Supplies Wholesalers in the yellow pages to track down a Hubbell dealer.

In looking online, looks like the price of the HBL 5262 has risen into the $18-$20 range, although I did buy one in the past 6 months here for $12. Perhaps I just got lucky. I've been out of the loop for a while as all the receptacles I purchased for my system were bought about 7-8 years ago.

16. etzeppy

The best online price I have found for the HBL5262 in standard ivory is $14 here. For some reason brown appears to be more common for both the 5262 and 5263.

17. blakep

blakep Senior Member

Lots of brown around as it is an industrial or spec grade receptacle. Brown always looks the same regardless of how much abuse it is subjected to or how dirty the environment is :).

All of mine, with the exception of the one I bought most recently, are brown.

18. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

With the right after market power outlet, they sound delightful........

19. HiFiSoundGuy

HiFiSoundGuy New Member

20. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

don't forget to select the right teflon tape for your plugs once you install your new 25 dollar audio grade AC receptacle

21. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I think you mean rice crispies.... :D Or does that add too much snap, crackle & pop? :laugh:

Wrong thread.

22. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Correct insult.

23. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

[​IMG]

This is what I bought & installed in my apartment.
    Hubbell 8300HW from TakeFiveAudio.
    Price $21.95
    You can get it cryo-ed for a bit more.
    Shipping approx $8

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You need to apply cryo to the corn flakes -- they'll taste much better that way.

My problem with any of these special AC outlets is that inevitably, I have to plug in a lot more than just one or two components. Typically, I have at least 7 or 8 different components in a simple system (amplifier, tuner, preamp, CD player, turntable, tape deck). So then the question winds up being: what kind of multi-outlet power bar works best?

25. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

PS Audio Juice bar works fine for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.